New shock vs Push tuning

DargSide

Currently using the stock shock right now and considering one of the two, the price of a higher end shock is at least 400, while a push tuning is 250, with custom valving. Anyone have experience with push?

Have had both 'push' and new stock replacement. Not much of a change that I could notice with 4 inch rear travel. A huge improvement happened with Cane Creek DB. Totally changed my 07 turner Sultan. What push 'tunes' is not really east coast rocky trail.

Pushed shock completely changed my old Cannondale Rize. They removed mid-stroke blow thru. That was a huge improvement.

However later I found that I can "tune" fox shocks myself. I achieved similar shock behavior on my next two bikes (Turner Flux and 5Spot) playing with volume spacers.

Still I'd go with Push unless your current shock is total crap.

I've never pushed, but at what pricepoint should you consider to do so?
Personally I wouldn't spend $250 on a $400 fork, which is really an entry level decent fork nowadays

The new shock I was looking at was the cane creek db cool, but at $600+ it's tough to swallow, meanwhile with push, it's custom valved to my bike and riding style

Had the shock on my RFX PUSHed and def. felt a difference, but you may want to check out Real World Cycling for Enduro needle bearing for your shock. The suspension moved so much smoother after that upgrade. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

nbk_installed_800.jpg

Everyone raves about them. Did you do both upper & lower? From what I've read, one of the two has 90% of the improvement.
I did both but assume you could get away with just the top. Way better setup than original bushing/bushing setup!!!

The new shock I was looking at was the cane creek db cool, but at $600+ it's tough to swallow, meanwhile with push, it's custom valved to my bike and riding style
Explain custom valved? I tried what they say is the perfect set-up for my weight/ bike frame leverage ratios/ riding style blah blah. Was never much different and was not what I was looking for. With the CCDB, I was doing the tuning, one click at a time on trails that I know, as opposed to someone just flipping hydraulic spring discs, back in the shop 1000 miles from NJ.
Swallow the 600.00 You won't regret it.

Explain custom valved? I tried what they say is the perfect set-up for my weight/ bike frame leverage ratios/ riding style blah blah. Was never much different and was not what I was looking for. With the CCDB, I was doing the tuning, one click at a time on trails that I know, as opposed to someone just flipping hydraulic spring discs, back in the shop 1000 miles from NJ.
Custom valved so the shock works for a particular individual . I focus on going down nasty steep stuff as fast as possible so someone who is racing xc will have a drastic different shock tune . Last shock rebuild I had avalanche tune my shock and it was a 30 min phone conversation to figure out my intended purpose and what I expected from the shock . I was very pleased with the results the rear of my bike finally worked the way I wanted

I did both but assume you could get away with just the top. Way better setup than original bushing/bushing setup!!!
def worth looking into
do you think you'd get better gain on a long travel bike vs XC?
want to try them out on one bike first

are the new CCDBs better in terms of reliability than the past? I looked into them quite a bit till I read so many reports of failures.
Same reason I dropped the BOS Kirk option, hear they are both perform stellar, but consistent quality was suspect

def worth looking into
do you think you'd get better gain on a long travel bike vs XC?
want to try them out on one bike first
that is not long vs short travel. I think it rather about pivot rotation so if your shock is compressed w/o changing orientation you not going have any improvements.

I have a CCDB Coil on my M16C, but I'm thinking of looking into a air shock for this reason.

I tend to be a "set and forget" type. When I installed the DB Coil, I set it to base line and haven't touched it since. I don't really have a good feel for when it's working "better" or "worse" so the ShockWiz seems like something I could really use on all of my bikes.

are the new CCDBs better in terms of reliability than the past? I looked into them quite a bit till I read so many reports of failures.
Same reason I dropped the BOS Kirk option, hear they are both perform stellar, but consistent quality was suspect
Mine is 4 yrs old. Needed a rebuild a yr ago. So about the same as any Fox air that I've had.

Back
Top Bottom