New multi tool.

Dajerseyrat

I recently started riding packless and kind of like it for shorter rides, 2 hours or less. I carry one 20oz water bottle and was carrying a multi tool in my pocket, and an inner tube and 2 CO2 canisters on my bike. But I wanted to carry an actual pump just in case.

So I found this water bottle cage by Syncros that has a multi tool and a pump mounted to it, it was a little pricey at $69. One cool feature I like is that the pump has a hose on it so you won't snap your valve cores off when jackhammering the pump to fill your tire up.
The tool itself feels a little flimsy but will most likely get you out of most minor situations you would encounter on the trails and does go all the way up to 8mm and features a chain breaker tool.
The cage is tight and holds only a 20oz bottle on my frame, and I'm gonna a look into some sort of shirt that holds another bottle in the small of your back just in case, but for short rides where dehydration is not an issue it's fine. I also want to find a way to store a tire plug kit as well as a few master links and valve cores somewhere on my bike. I was thinking of that tool that stores in your front axle or I saw one that goes inside your handlebars..

Attachments

• IMG_20190122_140805.jpg
    IMG_20190122_140805.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20190122_140917.jpg
    IMG_20190122_140917.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_20190122_140958.jpg
    IMG_20190122_140958.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20190122_141002.jpg
    IMG_20190122_141002.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 249

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
just picked up a lezyne pump, and carry a crank brother's multitool.
pump can be mounted on the water bottle bosses, or small enough for a pack. i had a crappy one, but fatbike....
3.5 hours outside today, and some of the water froze in the bottle, but not all of it....
i've seen some kits that mount in the water bottle cage, instead of water - so a tube, quick links, patches, etc....quickly move between bikes.

Dajerseyrat

I don't know of it was a bike hack or if it was an actual tool I saw, but it mounted a plug kit inside your handlebars grip.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unless you're running tubes, you should skip the pump and go with C02. On the road bike I go with the cage mounted pump w/ the bag w/ tube/tool/patches but that doesn't really work on the MTBs tubeless.

Dajerseyrat

Unless you're running tubes, you should skip the pump and go with C02. On the road bike I go with the cage mounted pump w/ the bag w/ tube/tool/patches but that doesn't really work on the MTBs tubeless.
I keep 2 co2 canisters with me on my bike. I want the pump to add air if I need ot adjust pressure or if I run out of C02 and have to use a tube. I always have a back up plan.

Reactions: Tim

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think Seth used some kind of rubber stopper under the fork to store stuff in there.
I'm debating ditching my CO2 stuff and just carrying the pump but I never thought of the pump breaking. Maybe I'll stick with some redundancy.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I keep 2 co2 canisters with me on my bike. I want the pump to add air if I need ot adjust pressure or if I run out of C02 and have to use a tube. I always have a back up plan.

i have my cell phone ;) (plan C ?) - i double flatted on a pot hole with dave (@clarkenstein ) on a night (or early morning) road ride when it was on the cool side. I had a tube, he had the patch kit - we spent much time on the side of the road. last time, i called my w1f3 and started walking. she rescued me from a 10 mile walk home.

on the road bike i stick a tube, patch kit, and two co2 in my jersey pockets. no multi-tool. i might consider more if i was farther from home, but i'm never more than 15' from my garage lately...(see, i made a funny) - just no motivation to ride road in the cold. anyway, maybe when it warms up? :D

tools and quick-link on the mtb. extra tube, co2, pump, zip ties, TP. (i've never broken a chain while carrying a link - but if i leave it out... 3x)

1548197356737.png

should i start carrying a ppk?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I've got the OneUp EDC tool in my steerer and the pump on the bike. It was by no means cheap but it's dope AF. The multitool mounted in the steerer also has a plug kit, bacon strips, quick link, and a chain pliers. The pump also carries a CO2 and is a CO2 inflator. My bike only has room for one 500ml (17oz) bottle so for rides longer than about 1 to 1.5 hours I need a jersey with a back pocket for a second bottle. (still working on a solution to that that I like) I generally ride Harts/Huber since it's close to work but if I travel to a less familiar or rocky park I also strap a tube, levers, and spare derailleur hanger on the bike. For really unfamiliar or long rides I still grab the pack in which I have a small first aid kit, 2 tubes, a couple CO2s, and up to 3L of water.

rick81721

Lothar
I recently started riding packless and kind of like it for shorter rides, 2 hours or less. I carry one 20oz water bottle and was carrying a multi tool in my pocket, and an inner tube and 2 CO2 canisters on my bike. But I wanted to carry an actual pump just in case.

So I found this water bottle cage by Syncros that has a multi tool and a pump mounted to it, it was a little pricey at $69. One cool feature I like is that the pump has a hose on it so you won't snap your valve cores off when jackhammering the pump to fill your tire up.
The tool itself feels a little flimsy but will most likely get you out of most minor situations you would encounter on the trails and does go all the way up to 8mm and features a chain breaker tool.
The cage is tight and holds only a 20oz bottle on my frame, and I'm gonna a look into some sort of shirt that holds another bottle in the small of your back just in case, but for short rides where dehydration is not an issue it's fine. I also want to find a way to store a tire plug kit as well as a few master links and valve cores somewhere on my bike. I was thinking of that tool that stores in your front axle or I saw one that goes inside your handlebars..

Thanks for the reminder, my primary mtb pack is in nj. Here I'm riding with basically nothing, the camelbak might have a multi tool, that's it. If I flat I'm done.

bergsnj

I’m the opposite. I want nothing on the bike and keep a shit ton in my camelback. I carry on every ride a tube, pump, 2 CO2 cans, CO2 inflator, patch kit, bacon strips and plug kit, multi tool with chain breaker, wolf tooth chain plyers with 2 quick links, mini folding needle nose plyers, zip ties, tire levers, presta to schrader adapter, my phone & battery pack for helmet mounted light if it is a night ride. Not to mention at least 25/30 oz of water. I would feel weird riding without it.

Dajerseyrat

I’m the opposite. I want nothing on the bike and keep a shit ton in my camelback. I carry on every ride a tube, pump, 2 CO2 cans, CO2 inflator, patch kit, bacon strips and plug kit, multi tool with chain breaker, wolf tooth chain plyers with 2 quick links, mini folding needle nose plyers, zip ties, tire levers, presta to schrader adapter, my phone & battery pack for helmet mounted light if it is a night ride. Not to mention at least 25/30 oz of water. I would feel weird riding without it.
I used to do that same thing....But riding packless is so liberating. If I go on a longer or more rugged ride like Ringwood, I would use my pack and bring some more crap..

Top Bottom