New mountain biker

Oz Von Toco

Hey all! First post here. Just started riding this spring and love it, probably done about 10 rides so far. Didn't think the bug would bite quite so fast! I've quickly started scheming was to sneak in rides after work and convince my friends to pony up the $$$ for an entry level bike to come with.

anyways, just saying hi to all. If anyone knows when/ where it will be good to ride again in central nj please give me a heads up. I'm assuming with all this rain the trails
Are basically shot right now?

qclabrat

Hey all! First post here. Just started riding this spring and love it, probably done about 10 rides so far. Didn't think the bug would bite quite so fast! I've quickly started scheming was to sneak in rides after work and convince my friends to pony up the $$$ for an entry level bike to come with.

anyways, just saying hi to all. If anyone knows when/ where it will be good to ride again in central nj please give me a heads up. I'm assuming with all this rain the trails
Are basically shot right now?
You're already getting brownie points for asking about conditions
Yes, central Jersey blows at the moment. Checkout the trail conditions summary at the top or read the individual park conditions pages. If not sure, just ask.

So where you been riding and what's your current whip?
btw: Howdy Oz

Oz Von Toco

From a ride last week a chimney rock. I'm going to be considering there my home course since it's easy to get to and more fun than Lewis Morris imo! (After 3-4 times at each)

Attachments

• IMG_6131.JPG
    IMG_6131.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 156

Oz Von Toco

That's a diamondback sync'r btw... did a lot of research and got it at a great price through working advantage. Happy with my choice since it hasn't given me any other problem than apparently I knocked my hub loose ($15 at the lbs) loved 6 mile run but was only there once for about 2.5 hours

qclabrat

From a ride last week a chimney rock. I'm going to be considering there my home course since it's easy to get to and more fun than Lewis Morris imo! (After 3-4 times at each)

nice, my home park also
every Monday there is a no drop ride from Newmans and Thursday is a race pace ride and will drop. If you want a slow beginner pace, we do one around the local parks including CR.
Chimney hasn't weathered well the last few weeks, hopefully it will rebound soon.

Oz Von Toco

Forgive my ignorance but what is a
"No drop ride"? Didn't know about the group ride mondays but I think that's where I have been parking so I'm going to try to make one sometime!

Oz Von Toco

Haha gotcha. So if I got left behind I'd be right back to where I always am anyway haha. I've enjoyed trying to keep up w faster riders I see . Normally they pull away when I get stopped by an obstacle that I'm not sure the right way to negotiated quickly/efficiently lol. Thanks for the warm welcome all!

RobD

Welcome OZ! Shoot me a message if you're going to 6mile, Allamuchy, Ringwood, Creek, Hartshorne, or Allaire. I frequent them all. Allaire is only 10-15 minutes from my house so it's my quickie go to. Look for my whips in the lots.

Attachments

• IMG_4047.JPG
    IMG_4047.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 121

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome aboard if you are around Allaire on Tuesday nights we have a beginner ride we meet at 6 in the hospital road lot.
Great way to learn the trails hon some skills and have fun.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Welcome Oz :)

The term "central nj" is both a subjective and highly contested one around here.... I expect the pork roll vs Taylor ham comments to trickle in any moment. ;)

Check out the beginner ride thread. Nice group of beginner and intermediate riders.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome!
Good looking ride.....

Cushetunk/Round Valley can handle the wet weather, and be ridable - more climbing than CR - and a few more technical spots.
Did i mention more climbing?

hmm - you could be north of rt 78....but south of rt 80. a ambiguous area of the rock garden state. :D

Chris Nordt

Welcome!! Definitely check out the Tuesday ride at Allaire if you can get down there, and we do a ride Saturday morning at 6 Mile depending on weather and everyone's availability. It's an easy paced ride, so don't worry about getting left behind ;-)

Oz Von Toco

Wow, tons of awesome info in this thread. Definitely will be looking to do some group rides.

I work in Staten Island so getting to allaire by 6 may be a little tight, maybe 615/630.

I might of missed it but what time are the Monday and Thursday groups rides at chimney rock?

Def will shoot a message for rides, Rob

Thanks for the cushtunk/round valley Reccomendation. I'm targeting a Thursday and/or Friday ride. I imagine it might still be too wet Thursday - opinions?

Top Bottom