New Member Intro

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I appreciate the straight talk. Hadn’t considered the Tallboy that much just based on the travel. How do you find that it handles in the rock gardens with 29 wheels? I guess I really need to ride these things because I’ve gone from 5010 to HT to 5010 and now the TB is sneaking in. Just so scared to make the wrong choice.
DEMO DEMO DEMO!

you mentioned cycle craft before... i demo'd a 5010 at the tourne at one of their demo days... and Jay from Halter's let my boyfriend take out a tall boy for some time earlier last year. you could also just consider renting a bike for the day.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve gone from 5010 to HT to 5010 and now the TB is sneaking i
Generally speaking the 5010 an HT are the most similar geometry an travel but 5010 is dedicated 27.5, while HT can run 27.5 or 29. Both are considered all mountain bikes, while the TB is closer to xc mtbing an can be run 27.5 or 29.
I would recommend going with a bike you can run different size wheels with, you are starting out, options are good at this point.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Don’t beat yourself up worrying about buyers remorse. You haven’t mentioned a bad bike for the area yet. The TB ver 3 is pretty much as close to a trail bike as an XC bike can get. There’s no such thing as the perfect bike. Please don’t choose a bike because of what someone else thinks about it. Talk to people sure but trust how you feel on the bikes.

$$$ buys you lightness, smooth(er) shifting and a crap ton of shock adjustment (you’ll probably never use)...... But the geometry will be the same between the budget and Uber build of the same model bike.

Buy the bike that has the highest intersection point between fun to ride and available budget and you will not go wrong.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Welcome to MTBNJ!

For the last ten years the tall boy has been the #1 seller for SC. This year the Hightower became their #1 seller. It offers a bit more travel with a minimal weight penalty.

If you want to race XC or ride with guys who do, i'd recommend the TB3. (likely in 29er). If you are less interested in speed and more with traction, io'd go 27+. If you care more about the Dh's than the speed of climbing, i'd go Hightower (and then pick a wheels size)

We have both the Hightower and Tallboy available for demo. There is no substitute for riding a demo bike on trail you already know.

The Hightower only comes in carbon while the TB3 comes in both alloy and Carbon. (carbon is way stronger as well as lighter)

I personally chose the Hightower in 27+ and I love it in all conditions. I will conceed that I give up some straightline speed for the bgger wheels, but after riding both wheelsizes, the 27+ spoke to me.

The new rule in bikes is to pick a wheel/tire size and then be a Dick about it.

Take note of the SC warranty:
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/warranties
They are making their bikes to last. They are NOT the lightest by any stretch. They may in fact be among the toughest.

D0619C58-A49F-4041-80D0-AB0AEFA89EA4.jpeg
80910DEA-7114-4221-9545-5245AF83A9CF.jpeg
CEC7ABFF-D745-419D-B3AF-536ADF1835FF.jpeg
76880FDD-4E1A-4418-AECA-5863E15F47F9.jpeg

Last edited:

JohnnyWestood

Don’t beat yourself up worrying about buyers remorse. You haven’t mentioned a bad bike for the area yet. The TB ver 3 is pretty much as close to a trail bike as an XC bike can get. There’s no such thing as the perfect bike. Please don’t choose a bike because of what someone else thinks about it. Talk to people sure but trust how you feel on the bikes.

$$$ buys you lightness, smooth(er) shifting and a crap ton of shock adjustment (you’ll probably never use)...... But the geometry will be the same between the budget and Uber build of the same model bike.

Buy the bike that has the highest intersection point between fun to ride and available budget and you will not go wrong.
Great advice. Coming from my current bike I know that the next will be stellar. Just a lot of money, so that makes me nervous. And nauseous.

JohnnyWestood

Welcome to MTBNJ!

For the last ten years the tall boy has been the #1 seller for SC. This year the Hightower became their #1 seller. It offers a bit more travel with a minimal weight penalty.

If you want to race XC or ride with guys who do, i'd recommend the TB3. (likely in 29er). If you are less interested in speed and more with traction, io'd go 27+. If you care more about the Dh's than the speed of climbing, i'd go Hightower (and then pick a wheels size)

We have both the Hightower and Tallboy available for demo. There is no substitute for riding a demo bike on trail you already know.

The Hightower only comes in carbon while the TB3 comes in both alloy and Carbon. (carbon is way stronger as well as lighter)

I personally chose the Hightower in 27+ and I love it in all conditions. I will conceed that I give up some straightline speed for the bgger wheels, but after riding both wheelsizes, the 27+ spoke to me.

The new rule in bikes is to pick a wheel/tire size and then be a Dick about it.

Take note of the SC warranty:
https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/warranties
They are making their bikes to last. They are NOT the lightest by any stretch. They may in fact be among the toughest.

View attachment 61388View attachment 61389View attachment 61390View attachment 61391

I’m no racer. Too old and too tall. Just looked up your website. Wow. Shop dog is winning major points. Do you accept trade-ins?

Fire Lord Jim

Not looking to cloud things here, but in NJ, there are places I ride my 27.5 plus boost bike (can we call them B+?), places I ride my 29 hardtail, and places I ride my 26 squish. Allamuchy and Six Mile are totally different surfaces.

I read above about swapping wheel sizes. My B+ is capable of wearing 29 wheels, but the boost hub spacing means I can't swap standard 29 wheels but would have to build a 29 wheel on a wider boost hub. ( So I just got the whole 29 hardtail instead.)

I do notice lots of people riding fat bikes. I don't know whether it's because fats are a good choice for the terrain, or whether the fat slows them down enough that I can ride with them.

JohnnyWestood

Not looking to cloud things here, but in NJ, there are places I ride my 27.5 plus boost bike (can we call them B+?), places I ride my 29 hardtail, and places I ride my 26 squish. Allamuchy and Six Mile are totally different surfaces.

I read above about swapping wheel sizes. My B+ is capable of wearing 29 wheels, but the boost hub spacing means I can't swap standard 29 wheels but would have to build a 29 wheel on a wider boost hub. ( So I just got the whole 29 hardtail instead.)

I do notice lots of people riding fat bikes. I don't know whether it's because fats are a good choice for the terrain, or whether the fat slows them down enough that I can ride with them.
It gets cloudier by the minute! I really appreciate everyone’s input. I need to get my fanny on some of the contenders and see what suits me best I guess. I do know that I am not a 3” tire guy though.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
It gets cloudier by the minute! I really appreciate everyone’s input. I need to get my fanny on some of the contenders and see what suits me best I guess. I do know that I am not a 3” tire guy though.
Subscribe to n+1 then it's less of a confusion... but your accountant might not be too thrilled.

I'm a big fan of the n+1 but not a subscriber unfortunately.

qclabrat

since you already have a fatbike you've got time to decide
I couldn't think of a better time to ride a fatty over the last few weeks and next
Have you tried a 29+? I love mine, just adding to the confusion...

JohnnyWestood

since you already have a fatbike you've got time to decide
I couldn't think of a better time to ride a fatty over the last few weeks and next
Have you tried a 29+? I love mine, just adding to the confusion...
Yeah...I ain’t riding in the snow. I’m a wuss. I have ridden a 29er, but it was in Tahoe and those trails are smooth with some tech, the opposite of here. I loved it, if I could afford that bike I would just go for it. I am just a little leery about how a 29er would feel in Ringwood or Waywayanda. Would I feel over biked? Would it be nimble enough to navigate through rock gardens with my skill level? These are things I’ll have to figure out. And the fat bike must be gone via sale or trade in to make this dream possible. Unless a windfall comes my way...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Seems to me the bigger and wider, the easier to clear the tech. Not so much if you want to throw the bike, trials style, but point the bike at a reasonable line, keep the weight off the handlebars, and keep pedaling. I'm riding the tallboy in b+ attire (and i have a 29r wheelset for it) - i have limited experience, cause of taking 20 years off. but comparing the tallboy to my anthem 26r, it inspires way more confidence. love my 29r hardtail too - set it up single speed once developed a bit of fitness for 6MR, allaire, and some of the smaller parks.

Last edited:

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I ride a Turner 29er full suspension with 2.5 front tire a ridged Fat Bike with 4.7" tires and a 25 year old 26er hard tail. I am no expert but a 29er may be a better choice for someone who is taller in stature. I like the 29er for riding over the tech sections and handles good enough. Kind of feels like cheating but I'll take any advantage I can get. Every set up has its advantages and disadvantages. Do as many demo days as you can.

JohnnyWestood

I ride a Turner 29er full suspension with 2.5 front tire a ridged Fat Bike with 4.7" tires and a 25 year old 26er hard tail. I am no expert but a 29er may be a better choice for someone who is taller in stature. I like the 29er for riding over the tech sections and handles good enough. Kind of feels like cheating but I'll take any advantage I can get. Every set up has its advantages and disadvantages. Do as many demo days as you can.
Where did you get your Turner? I am now a free agent! Sold my bike on Craigslist so I am free to shop all shops and brands.

Going to be demo-ing as much as possible.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Where did you get your Turner? I am now a free agent! Sold my bike on Craigslist so I am free to shop all shops and brands.

Turner stopped making 29ers. Hot brands now appear to be Santa Cruz and Pivot but they are so many great bikes out there. My 2 cents is find a bike that fits you properly and is comfortable. I'm no expert just know what works for me.

qclabrat

seems like multi pivots are the craze now, read this if you haven't already.
Don't mind the brands, but more about how each works
That way, when you test ride the bikes, you'll get a better idea on the linkage design and what it's suppose to do.

http://blistergearreview.com/recommended/suspension-101-designs

Top Bottom