New Member Intro

Great choices. Some brands have a high and low rear shock position to compensate for the bottom bracket height difference and head tube angle change from the slight tire diameter difference between 27.5 x 2.8-3.0 and a 29 x 2.25 wheels. Around here I prefer a slightly higher BB to cut down on the inevitable pedal strikes modern geometry bikes seem to produce.

Since you’re up North, hit up Ringwood and HM a few times with your bike paying attention to how your bike feels there, then demo one (or a dozen) bikes so you can make up your own mind as to what you like.

YouTube reviews are fine for killing time but they’re not you and honestly, it’s awfully hard to separate the “incentivized” ones from the genuine ones, if they exist at all.

Which shops demo around here? I know Cycle Craft does on a limited basis and they also have a 30 day buyback.

I love my 5010!!! (She's 27.5 tho) I've even taken her to Mountain Creek and she's survived.

You might want to look at the tall boy... That's one of them 29 or 27.5+ deals.

But the guys on here know more about all those ins and outs. I just ride what I like. :)
The guy at Cycle Craft almost had me whipping out my credit card on a 5010 on Saturday! Love the looks of it. What width tires do you run, and do you ever wish for wider than 2.5?

I actually have a hard time differentiating the Santa Cruz models. And a little voice in my head tells me not to be the guy who can’t ride that well on the high end bike. On the other hand, I like nice bikes and feel like SC has it dialed in.

Great choices. Some brands have a high and low rear shock position to compensate for the bottom bracket height difference and head tube angle change from the slight tire diameter difference between 27.5 x 2.8-3.0 and a 29 x 2.25 wheels. Around here I prefer a slightly higher BB to cut down on the inevitable pedal strikes modern geometry bikes seem to produce.

Since you’re up North, hit up Ringwood and HM a few times with your bike paying attention to how your bike feels there, then demo one (or a dozen) bikes so you can make up your own mind as to what you like.

YouTube reviews are fine for killing time but they’re not you and honestly, it’s awfully hard to separate the “incentivized” ones from the genuine ones, if they exist at all.
My bike is a steel mid-fat I HT I guess you’d call it. The freaking tires pretty much go where they want and I hold on. When I used to ride back in the 90’s the tires were skinnier and we went around things way more than over them. So that difference in philosophy is leading me to want sometime more nimble.

I am also 6’5” so I don’t know if that means I’m better off with 29 based on that fact alone?

I agree with you on the reviews. I love the guys who have a Yeti and then build up a custom Santa Cruz for the winter.

Hello Sir J of W.....

Ride what ya got! Demo days are coming in the spring!

Keep an eye out for group rides posted here. Cool part about this is we actually meet up.
as opposed to the typical internet group strewn all over the world.

The guy at Cycle Craft almost had me whipping out my credit card on a 5010 on Saturday! Love the looks of it. What width tires do you run, and do you ever wish for wider than 2.5?

I actually have a hard time differentiating the Santa Cruz models. And a little voice in my head tells me not to be the guy who can’t ride that well on the high end bike. On the other hand, I like nice bikes and feel like SC has it dialed in.

2.3 (minion in front and crossmark in rear)... And no. My bike is perfect for me. I do have a 29er hard tail (it's a frankenbike built from various other bikes) and it's great for places like Lewis Morris and six mile and stuff. I have ridden that at much techier places but it's not as comfortable as the 5010 for that stuff. I think if you're relying on wider tires to be a better rider, then you better do some clinics and learn some skills. (That is NOT a slight on people who like fat bikes. I know plenty of awesome wide tire riders but I think you can fall into the trap of relying on your bike instead of just learning better skills)

FYI: I bought the aluminum version of the 5010. There was only a pound difference in weight and I decided to just save the cost difference and use it for a dropper post.

Hello Sir J of W.....

Ride what ya got! Demo days are coming in the spring!

Keep an eye out for group rides posted here. Cool part about this is we actually meet up.
as opposed to the typical internet group strewn all over the world.
I will do that (look out for group rides). Appreciate that. How do you hear about demo days? I’d love to do that.

actually have a hard time differentiating the Santa Cruz models.
The difference between the SC 5010 and Tallboy is head tube angle. The 5010 is 1 degree slacker in the head tube, which means the bike will be a bit easier to control downhill however the converse is it may be more awkward pedalling steep uphill. I own the Tallboy and am happy with the way it handles going down and up.
Also consider outfitting your bike with a dropper post, it makes any bike handle much better going down steep, twisting trails...like the stuff in norf joisey.

Also, a bit more travel in 5010 an dedicated 27.5 wheels make it more of an all mountain bike, while the Tallboy leans more toward a xc bike, if you go with 29er wheels.

Also, a bit more travel in 5010 an dedicated 27.5 wheels make it more of an all mountain bike, while the Tallboy leans more toward a xc bike, if you go with 29er wheels.
I appreciate the straight talk. Hadn’t considered the Tallboy that much just based on the travel. How do you find that it handles in the rock gardens with 29 wheels? I guess I really need to ride these things because I’ve gone from 5010 to HT to 5010 and now the TB is sneaking in. Just so scared to make the wrong choice.

Back
Top Bottom