New Here!

Hey Everyone,

A week ago I woke up and decided I needed a mountain bike for whatever reason. On Saturday I bought a Giant Fathom 27.5 and immediately took it to Mercer Country Park.

After having not ridden for about 14 or so years I didn't know what I was in for. I had an absolute blast and am totally hooked. I got some speed and some decent air on the trails there but was a little humbled as well. I'm getting a better seat for this bike, I'm sitting here at work and it still kind of sore. I did about 4 miles combined on both trails including some of the trail that's not mapped out on trailforks.

Once it stops raining I'm looking to do six mile and core creek park as well. I will likely get some more practice at Mercer first to feel comfortable. Can anyone recommend a good place to ride in Central Jersey even when conditions are not optimal? I learned that I shouldn't be riding single track when it rains since I would help erode the trail (who knew).

My bike at Mercer.
ldrNX9l.jpg

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!!!!!!! It's crazy here...

And welcome.Mercer has nice roots I hear.

Last edited:

qclabrat

welcome, 6 mile will be horrible for a while with the rain, please check out the 6MR conditions thread before going
One of the better places I've been reading about in your vicinity is Allaire

btw: nice bike, like the color

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome! Allaire is a nice place to ride! They will also soon start weekly rides there, where you can meet some people!

qclabrat

Hey Everyone,
I'm getting a better seat for this bike, I'm sitting here at work and it still kind of sore. I did about 4 miles combined on both trails including some of the trail that's not mapped out on trailforks.
The seat could possibly need an upgrade, but even with the perfect saddle and not riding for so long, your rear would hurt afterwards. I suggest keeping the saddle and riding if for at least another few weeks. Many folks make the mistake to upgrade to a softer saddle to find out later that a firmer saddle is more comfortable in the long run. If you are getting sharp pains, that's some thing else though. This a great place to ask questions, I've learned so much here since joining.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
The seat could possibly need an upgrade, but even with the perfect saddle and not riding for so long, your rear would hurt afterwards. I suggest keeping the saddle and riding if for at least another few weeks. Many folks make the mistake to upgrade to a softer saddle to find out later that a firmer saddle is more comfortable in the long run. If you are getting sharp pains, that's some thing else though. This a great place to ask questions, I've learned so much here since joining.

+1 on waiting, no matter what saddle you have the first couple rides back are gonna hurt. Give it a fair shot before you drop the cash for a new one. If it doesn't get better, definitely drop by a shop. It'll save you both time and money in the long run over trial and error.

I already ordered a WTB Speed Comp Saddle, it's sitting on my doorstep now.

I think my seat may need to be adjusted downward a little bit but not sure. My tailbone hurts and the area where from what I see bicycle shorts have padding (lower cheek) which is to be expected. My error may have been not standing up on some of the roots and letting my ass absorb the impact. I can see why people go full suspension.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I already ordered a WTB Speed Comp Saddle, it's sitting on my doorstep now.

I think my seat may need to be adjusted downward a little bit but not sure. My tailbone hurts and the area where from what I see bicycle shorts have padding (lower cheek) which is to be expected. My error may have been not standing up on some of the roots and letting my ass absorb the impact. I can see why people go full suspension.
If you don't get fit on your bike, you may need to do some trial an error with saddle angle and placement. It took me a while to set myself up comfortably and I felt much better when I got my setback post to move the saddle even further back. Definitely try to stand and keep light on the bike over roots and such. Don't ride muddy trails, otherwise enjoy it and keep an eye out for our group ride series, which should be starting soon!

Welcome :)

If you let us know what humbled you at Mercer we can probably make a better progression recommendation.

First, doing little research I didn't realize how cramped a single trail would be. Passing by trees on each side that are just about as wide as your bars had me cautious. I was turning my wheel to kind of navigate through however I should have been standing up and kind of pivoting my bike side to side. That may come when I get a better feel for the bike.

I navigated some of the sharper turns with no grace. I had to slow down big time and my wheel would often go up over the edge of the divet on the track onto the leaves. I was riding on the outskirts of the line. I feel I may have been doing less leaning and more wheel turning.

There was a stack of logs I tried to jump but never brought the ass end up, I wound up hitting my gear/chain and bottomed out.

What's the abbreviation in the username stand for? :popcorn:

I've been using this alias on and off since I first heard it. Being white teenager at a video game tourney and having someone who knew what it means ask "Where's HNIC?" and seeing me respond was hilarious.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I've been using this alias on and off since I first heard it. Being white teenager at a video game tourney and having someone who knew what it means ask "Where's HNIC?" and seeing me respond was hilarious.

haha i love this

If you don't get fit on your bike, you may need to do some trial an error with saddle angle and placement. It took me a while to set myself up comfortably and I felt much better when I got my setback post to move the saddle even further back. Definitely try to stand and keep light on the bike over roots and such. Don't ride muddy trails, otherwise enjoy it and keep an eye out for our group ride series, which should be starting soon!

I had no idea I could move it forwards and backwards. I will tinker with it.

viper8315

Welcome HNIC! I'm a Mercer regular, and know the narrow trail you speak of. Both of my bikes' bars can't fit on that trail. I don't even bother going on it anymore. I could cut my bars, but no thanks. There's plenty of other trails at Mercer that are a lot more fun in my opinion. I'd be happy to show you around sometime if you want. Go check out the Mercer section of this forum for the trail map, or take a look on Strava as well.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
So, when you get home put the new saddle on dead center of the markings on the rails and perfectly level, so you have a neutral starting point. Only make one adjustment at a time or you'll be chasing your tail.... Adjust, ride, repeat.

No matter what, you'll need seat time to condition the tissue around your sit bones.

No shortcuts there...

So, when you get home put the new saddle on dead center of the markings on the rails and perfectly level, so you have a neutral starting point. Only make one adjustment at a time or you'll be chasing your tail.... Adjust, ride, repeat.

No matter what, you'll need seat time to condition the tissue around your sit bones.

No shortcuts there...

How will I know when it's a set up issue and not just because I'm not used to it? For now I will just man up.

Top Bottom