New here... saying' hello

Danimal

I do work for a gentleman who races TT and was lucky enough to go with him to the wind tunnel for some testing. Very interesting place, and yet so monotonous and boring at the same time. Was very worth it though as he gained a lot of time just by swapping a skin suit, hand position and tires

Attachments

• CAM02241.jpg
    CAM02241.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 380
  • CAM02238.jpg
    CAM02238.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 381

CrankAddictRich

I do work for a gentleman who races TT and was lucky enough to go with him to the wind tunnel for some testing. Very interesting place, and yet so monotonous and boring at the same time. Was very worth it though as he gained a lot of time just by swapping a skin suit, hand position and tires

Is that gentleman's name, Steve?

CrankAddictRich

As an ex-TT nerd I can confirm it is 100% about money.

hahaha.. it's racing, so its always going to be costly. I'll disagree though in terms of it being 100% about money.... that implies that the person who spends the most, wins. That's not accurate. In fact, I'd be willing to say that every single one of the TT cup winners this past season were not the most expensive setups in their respective classes.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
hahaha.. it's racing, so its always going to be costly. I'll disagree though in terms of it being 100% about money....

OK, it's 98% about money. Unless your name is Ken and you set all the records in the state on a road bike with aero bars and a 15 year old Spinergy wheel.

I always thought it would be cool if they enforced USAC TT rules at the State level so it would be more about the rider than bike and/or position. Almost all of the fast guys are running non-legal set-ups which is why you seldom see any of them heading out to take a swing at a National Championship.

CrankAddictRich

OK, it's 98% about money. Unless your name is Ken and you set all the records in the state on a road bike with aero bars and a 15 year old Spinergy wheel.

I always thought it would be cool if they enforced USAC TT rules at the State level so it would be more about the rider than bike and/or position. Almost all of the fast guys are running non-legal set-ups which is why you seldom see any of them heading out to take a swing at a National Championship.

I'd say it's about 85%.... Are you sure Ken still has all the records?

In terms of enforcing USAC TT rules at the state level... I can see both sides of the story. Perhaps it makes it less about equipment... but it also takes a whole lot of people out of the equation and if there aren't enough people showing up, then the races don't happen. I'm pretty sure my bike conforms to USAC rules, except for maybe saddle position... might be slightly too far forward.

Steve Vai

I'd say it's about 85%.... Are you sure Ken still has all the records?

In terms of enforcing USAC TT rules at the state level... I can see both sides of the story. Perhaps it makes it less about equipment... but it also takes a whole lot of people out of the equation and if there aren't enough people showing up, then the races don't happen. I'm pretty sure my bike conforms to USAC rules, except for maybe saddle position... might be slightly too far forward.

Bike racing numbers in general have come way down. I think legitimizing the fields would help draw people out. There was a big battle over all this back in my day that ended with the free for all you see today. I switched to a non-USAC set-up because it was the only way to hit the podium in the Senior Men. Now that the fast guys have retired it'll be interesting to see how the series plays out.

CrankAddictRich

This is also true in drag racing... which is why drag racing is shit.

Circuit all day. Touge FTW.

ehhh... again, I'll disagree. I mean, you could say that money buys horsepower and it does, so you really can't compare a professional team and privateer teams, but once you get to a certain point with horsepower, having more doesn't really do you much good, at that point it really comes down to the driver, who can pedal the throttle best and keep it hooked up, who has a crew chief that can read the conditions the best and get the car to hook up, etc... Not to say that I'm against circuit racing or touge. Those are great too. I'm a car guy... grew up at the race track, e-town, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, etc.. I'm a professional photographer and originally started in motorsports photography. I've shot all forms of racing at SOOOO many race trans around the country.

Steve Vai

Would suggest Stephen's. Best riding in the state IMO. Not very technical but somewhat climby depending on loop.

CrankAddictRich

If interested, the shop is hosting an OptOutside friday ride at Stephens.

Wish I could... but I'll be heading out to PA for a Thanksgiving celebration with my Dad's side of the family. I'm hoping to get out on Thanksgiving morning, but not sure where. Usually my buddies and I hit 6Mile, but that will be a mud-fest this year. Maybe Chimney Rock? Does that usually drain pretty well? I know there's the one low swamp part, but otherwise, I feel like that place should drain well, considering its rocky make up and slopes.... I've only ridden there once though, so I don't know it. I'll probably try to get out on the road bike on Friday and Saturday mornings for some quick miles and then maybe MTB again on Sunday.

Top Bottom