New guy introduction and some other newbie questions

Eschmitt85

Hey everyone I am new to the forum so my apologies if there is already a thread for this topic. Just wanted to introduce myself and see where the best riding is right now given the wet damaged trail conditions at most locations. I ride a 2018 Kona process 153 and just starting to explore gravel/road/light single track on a 2019 Felt Breed 30. Halters cycles is my go-to local shop and 6 mile run is the only trail system I’ve regularly ridden. Haven’t touched the trails since August for a combination of reasons, most recently because the trails are too wet to ride without damage. So are there any trails in the central-ish jersey area that I can aim for that aren’t too wet to ride? Any upcoming opportunities for me to volunteer for trail maintenance at any of the local trails? I am also interested in possibly dabbling in some enduro racing someday, so does anyone have any tips on any good events to get my feet wet? I look forward to meeting ,riding, and maintaining trails with you all!

-Schmitt

Eschmitt85

Thanks for the info! I may give chimney rock a try for the first time later this morning (if the trails seem dry enough) and will definitely try to make whatever trail maintenance dates I’m available for

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Welcome :)

Nassau and Allaire are similar in distance from sixmile (in opposite directions) and are also good “get your feet wet” trails.

How close to sixmile are you?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome @Eschmitt85

Check here for updates every week on what’s goint on. The list is very extensive, and goes pretty far out as well.

Keep an eye out for group rides, great way to meet a lot of people here and learn a new trail system.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Welcome. Harthsorne and HuberWoods Parks drain very well and are typically rideble before other parks.

thegock

Thanks for the info! I may give chimney rock a try for the first time later this morning (if the trails seem dry enough) and will definitely try to make whatever trail maintenance dates I’m available for

Katie said that the trail is prime at CR

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!

MTBNJ hosts some group rides (which we try to do once a month) but right now we're prepping for some upcoming races so nothing's on the immediate schedule. But it's a good way to meet some new peeps. Plus there's just a ton of guys (and gals) here who would be willing to show you around any trails in the area... Just holler!

P.S. shameless team promotion: Mooch race on April 28 and Stewart on May 11. ?

Eschmitt85

Welcome!

MTBNJ hosts some group rides (which we try to do once a month) but right now we're prepping for some upcoming races so nothing's on the immediate schedule. But it's a good way to meet some new peeps. Plus there's just a ton of guys (and gals) here who would be willing to show you around any trails in the area... Just holler!

P.S. shameless team promotion: Mooch race on April 28 and Stewart on May 11. ?

Awesome ?? I am signed up for the xterra way over yonder triathlon sprint (paddle, bike , run) event 5/18 So that will be my first ever bike race. Also will be attending the trail prep/course preview this Saturday 4/6 ( was planning on searching the forum later today to see if anyone else is signed up for the race)

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I’m not sure if I’m considered a slow pedaler or not but I’m heading there now I’ll be there about 9:30 planning on checking out the red and blue trails to start

White is just on the other side of the water and is similar to sixmile. Have fun!

qclabrat

I’m not sure if I’m considered a slow pedaler or not but I’m heading there now I’ll be there about 9:30 planning on checking out the red and blue trails to start
sorry 9-5 guy so can't join you
For blue take it clock wise from the road then take the inner blue back. This time of the year the lower blue by the river will be slop. Have fun and post up conditions cause I know a few will be riding there this afternoon

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Glad you liked the challenge of CR.

If your shift lines up with a morning ride, we'll hook up on a fun-friday. This is a ride that changes parks every other week.
There is also Fun Monday - i think you posted in there? Anyway, see ya out there. Riding CR will get you better with rocks/climbs.
Riding 6MR will get ya better at turning. it is all good!

^^and what gock said - the other side of the road has more climbs and more tech! woohoo! park in the baseball field lot on CR road, or
the miller ln lot off vosseler.

Dajerseyrat

Aillaire, Hartshorn and Huber are generally very ridable shortly after rains. Also try Rutgers Ecological Preserve for a short light skilled ride, just dont make any eye contact with the "locals"..?
Hold off on chimney Rock and Ringwood till you get.your skills and conditioning in check.

Top Bottom