New Fat Bike - Wheels, Climbing, Geometry, etc.

Paul Longo

I’ve gone down to 1psi in snow. Psi is all terrain and condition dependent in my experience. I beach ride a ton and I snow ride when I get the chance. On trails, I use about the same as you, maybea little less... But sand is trickier, temperature, rain, tide, wind, everything combines to make every ride different which means a different ideal psi. Snow is beach sand on steroids. Snowed last night? Iced over? Brutal cold and light? Following hikers? I generally go in a little higher than I think conditions warrant. In the snow I have let out air and let out air... Like I said, down 1 psi. And then the bike just takes off and starts riding with so much less effort. I get back to the parking lot and the sidewall is flexing! I’m 6’2” and 170 and on my Farley’s Barbegazi’s. 4.7.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Fatbikes....oh my. So much to say. They are great at their intended purpose and soso at everything else. Fatbikes are untouchable on the beach at anywhere from 2.5-7 psi and the same with snow. They are bareable on hardpack but pressure is key. I never went below 10psi on my 4.0s otherwise they understeer. I road the fatty at Jungle once and it sucked. It required low pressure for the cusion but the rocks had way too much grip so the thing wouldn't steer. Too much psi and it bounced off the trail. So, in conclusion the three best terrains IMHO from good to best are the beach, the snow and Allaire. A fat bike is the bee's knees at Allaire. Hardpack with sand/loose on top. This is where the fatty excels.

xc62701

The fat bike is fun everywhere… besides snow. I really don’t enjoy slow snow rides. But the fatty is great on all my usual singletrack trails. Whether it’s rocky or smooth it’s a blast to ride. I know I’m not the majority on this but it’s one of my main bikes are use all season long.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
^what he said^

I constantly go back and forth about suspension fork but then stay all WW in the end.

ekuhn

I don’t see any need for a fork on the fatty. The right front tire pressure does the trick.

Agreed. Once road a FatCadd with the Olaf and carbon fiber handle bars - the different vibration rates and movement was crazy.

Top Bottom