New chain confusion

Kaleidopete

So today was my 1st time replacing a chain. I'm confused.
I have an 10 speed. Old chain has a link that slides to undo.
The old chain has 114 links. (I count 57, just the big ones)
New chain Shimano 10s CN-6701 has a pin that goes in and gets snapped off.
The new chain is a 116L . Can I use this 116 chain or do I have to take links out?
Is pin better than sliding link?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can try it full length, but if seems loose in the smallest cogs, shorten it. Not a big deal to do so and I can swing by to help with a chain tool.

I love quick links, but make sure it's a KMC that works with almost all chains. Much easier to take apart if you ever need to replace a derailleur or anything. The Shimano pins are not really reusable.

Also, buy a KMC chain next time!

Kaleidopete

You can try it full length, but if seems loose in the smallest cogs, shorten it. Not a big deal to do so and I can swing by to help with a chain tool.

I love quick links, but make sure it's a KMC that works with almost all chains. Much easier to take apart if you ever need to replace a derailleur or anything. The Shimano pins are not really reusable.

I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know how it feels, thanks for the offer.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Wrap the chain around the biggest chainring and the biggest cog bypassing the rd and then add 2 links. This should be your optimal chain length.... on a hardtail. For a FS, need to compensate for the rear shock travel.

Personally, I add 2 more links on mine.

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

The Shimano [attachment] pins aren't re-usable at all. If you try to push it out, you'll destroy the side plate/break your chain tool's pin. They aren't meant to be pushed out.

I don't particularly care about the pins vs. quicklinks thing...the only reason I remove a derailleur chain personally is to pitch it in the trash, but YMMV. Rear derailleurs can be installed without breaking a chain, and many mountain bikes no longer have a front derailleur, so...

FYI @Kaleidopete , the CN-6701 is intended for road usage. There is no reason you can't use it on a mountain bike (and I have no idea what you're using it on, anyway!), but it is optimized for Shimano road chainrings. It's only meant to work with doubles, by the way...the triple-optimized chain has symmetrical outer plates. The two chains perform markedly differently, when you try to use them on the setup they are not meant for, but still perform well enough for it not to really matter. It's asymmetrical in its design, by the way--the shaped (and engraved) plates must face outward for it to work properly...it'll shift very roughly if you put it on backwards.

Kaleidopete

I'm using it on my Moonlander. I'll have to research more and get the KMC chain next time. Right now this new chain is better than my old one with kinked links. I'll just have to replace it sooner I guess. I got the engraved plates right anyway. Thanks for the help. @Karate Monkey

Kaleidopete

@1sh0t1b33r
My ride today was pretty crappy, it's jumping gears mostly like you said on the small cogs.
Lets figure when you can stop by and chain breaker me. Thanks.
I have physical therapy today though early afternoon.

Kaleidopete

Did you replace the cassette also? The old chain and cassette wear out together. Putting a new chain on a worn cassette will skip also.
No, just the chain, I don't think the cassette is trashed yet, the old chain just had a few tight links and 1 twisted / bent one. @JDurk

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Kaleidopete Some time tomorrow would work since it's raining anyway. Earlier would be better cause I got some school work to do. Will see if I have a missing link as well. PM'd.

Top Bottom