New 45NRTH HUSKER DU 4.8"

qclabrat

was going to start a thread on this
beside this one, what are the other offerings for 2018 winter tires?
want 5" in front and 4.5ish" rear

SmooveP

Puzzled that they're doing a 4.8 version of the HD. The original was a great tire in its day, but not really knobby enough for good traction in the snow. Maybe it will have taller knobs?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Puzzled that they're doing a 4.8 version of the HD. The original was a great tire in its day, but not really knobby enough for good traction in the snow. Maybe it will have taller knobs?

The knob size is almost irrelevant if the tire is wide enough.

Steve Vai

Also, they stopped making Escalators in 1999, it's a called a Dillinger4 now.

SmooveP

Also, they stopped making Escalators in 1999, it's a called a Dillinger4 now.
Hence my use of the past tense. Excep the D4 & D5 appear to be studded only now (and $225 each) and Escalators were 180TPI! 4" tires are good when your buddies on 5"ers break trail. My 4" tires fit in their tracks with a little wiggle room.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
The knob size is almost irrelevant if the tire is wide enough.
I know you have like 1.7 million more snow miles than I do, but I'm not too sure about that.

A Bud in the front will go where you want it to. A Knard or Jumbo Jim, not so much. All are 4.8's. I didn't like the HD in a 4, I a can't imagine it would be much better in the snow at 4.8. Of course this all may be different for groomed snow which we don't see here.

Steve Vai

I know you have like 1.7 million more snow miles than I do, but I'm not too sure about that.

A Bud in the front will go where you want it to. A Knard or Jumbo Jim, not so much. All are 4.8's. I didn't like the HD in a 4, I a can't imagine it would be much better in the snow at 4.8. Of course this all may be different for groomed snow which we don't see here.

I think knob size only matters if the snow is wet enough for the knobs to grab anything. Otherwise your just relying on the width of the contact patch and low pressure to get traction. It's opposite of what makes sense. The Dunderbeist is the groomed tire while the D5 and new HD5 are for unpacked snow.

Top Bottom