Nerd out with your Cog out - SS gear ratios and you

SPRINGTIME

It's begun. Early season clamoring of theoretics and strategemizing this year's approach to going faster.. NO wait, still have to conserve on the climbs, but spinning-out on flat was soooo last year for me..

And breeeathe

This season I decided to be a tad more methodical on choosing ratios and considered straying from my standard, tried and true, one-ring-to-rule-them-all ratio. So I made a chart.

THE CHART and THINGS I'VE NOTICED

The full chart spans ratio combos of Chainrings 30, 32, 34, 36 and Cogs 16-22.

My intention was to choose a ratio based on the ratio itself and not get hung up on tooth count.

Another factor in consideration is the unholy amount of stress applied at peak resistance. The diameter of the cog directly correlates to how much strain is transferred through the bike. Small cogs break chains and wear teeth, esp. if you run aluminum cogs. Larger cogs require larger chainrings to maintain a similar ratio. While this is less visually appealing it will help save your drive train. Having a chart handy is a good way to find similar ratios utilizing different cogs. See chart.

I have attached the chart as a PDF for you to print and slap on your tool box or lunch box with packing tape or just keep it handy on your phone. Comes in two flavors: Rattle Snake and Everlasting Gobstopper. Enjoy.

The PDF contains:
-full list of all ratios
And for the sake of brevity and popularity:
-list of only 32 ratios
-list of only 34 ratios

Attachments

• SS Gear Ratios - Rattle Snake.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 156
  • SS Gear Ratios - EvrlastngGbspr.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 149

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Good stuff, thanks.

I especially agree with your thoughts here:
My intention was to choose a ratio based on the ratio itself and not get hung up on tooth count.

Another factor in consideration is the unholy amount of stress applied at peak resistance. The diameter of the cog directly correlates to how much strain is transferred through the bike. Small cogs break chains and wear teeth, esp. if you run aluminum cogs. Larger cogs require larger chainrings to maintain a similar ratio. While this is less visually appealing it will help save your drive train. Having a chart handy is a good way to find similar ratios utilizing different cogs. See chart.

SSmtbr

This is great! I've been with one or two setups since I began SS'ing as more of a set it and forget it: 32-20 and 32-22. The 32-20 was stock and I added a 22 cog for those tough days due to lack of fitness and SS experience. I never considered running any other combination front or back regardless if it was Allaire, 6 mile, or Mooch.

Now that I'm getting more serious SS'ing in general and racing SS class, it took me getting DFL at Mayhem in Cat 2 (I was spun out 98% of the course) to realize that ratios are something to start thinking about and not every course/trail network will have the same demands. I know what a 1.45 and a 1.6 ratio feel like on my legs and lungs, now it's time to dial a few more ratios in prep for SSAP and the rest of the H2H races.

solorider

This is great! I've been with one or two setups since I began SS'ing as more of a set it and forget it: 32-20 and 32-22. The 32-20 was stock and I added a 22 cog for those tough days due to lack of fitness and SS experience. I never considered running any other combination front or back regardless if it was Allaire, 6 mile, or Mooch.

Now that I'm getting more serious SS'ing in general and racing SS class, it took me getting DFL at Mayhem in Cat 2 (I was spun out 98% of the course) to realize that ratios are something to start thinking about and not every course/trail network will have the same demands. I know what a 1.45 and a 1.6 ratio feel like on my legs and lungs, now it's time to dial a few more ratios in prep for SSAP and the rest of the H2H races.

32x20 at Mayhem is bananas.

Great thread, will enjoy....

Top Bottom