Needed - physics/field theory equations aloud. Will pay actual cash.

jnos

I'll be taking up a collection to buy the hardcover version of this book and light that shit on fire!!!
burning+book.jpg

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What I'm after is a more literal reading of the theorem as written, so that (24) is read:
F sub mag equals the sum of nabla times b times b over mu sub 0
which is as literal as possible. I use this site a lot when looking for a way to express this stuff aloud.

Caution: Actual help contained herein:

I have no idea what is customary in the world of the Audies but it seems that you have a choice bewteen just reading what the symbols are and how you would say what they mean in English.

Take for example:
b3c50962e268174c3dd439b5650b373db214c86e

You could either say "dee z divided by dee x", or "partial z divided by partial x" but it's a lot easier to understand it as "partial derivative of z with respect to x"

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What I'm after is a more literal reading of the theorem as written, so that (24) is read:
F sub mag equals the sum of nabla times b times b over mu sub 0
which is as literal as possible. I use this site a lot when looking for a way to express this stuff aloud.

wouldnt it be (so use your naming for symbols)

F sub mag equals the sum of nabla cross b cross b over mu sub 0

my physics/calc memory is a bit rusty on the stuff i dont use, but i believe that X is denoting cross products not multiplication . . . at least thats how im used to reading it, and it could depend on the topic at hand as well.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
F sub mag equals the sum of nabla cross b cross b over mu sub 0
That's a good call. This is where my ignorance meets the road. I just sound like I know what I'm doing...
There are four options for x. Multiplication, Cartesian product, cross product (cross), and group of units. In this case, I'm gonna say you're right. And get right on that follow up call to Rutgers.
take for example:
b3c50962e268174c3dd439b5650b373db214c86e

You could either say "dee z divided by dee x", or "partial z divided by partial x" but it's a lot easier to understand it as "partial derivative of z with respect to x"
And here, I'd go a third way: "Delta z over Delta x", simply because in this case I'm reading vs. interpreting. And I'm lazy.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In that case, is not δ.
Gotcha. Found "dee" in my cheat sheet. Thanks for the heads-up.

There's no way the listener is going to have a happy experience with this book if they're driving. The illustrations and charts are constantly referred to. And since those are only available as PDFs, it's not a wind-in-your-hair kind of experience. The days when I'd get a book like this and have to render all that into actual language are over. (Used to have a studio near CalTech. Made for some looooong lunches. Also, lots of time with the authors.) The price point on audio-book production has dropped to where it's easier to just pump 'em out and pray. That's a top down thing. On the plus side, lots of books. On the negative side, this kind of quandry.

Keeping it as simple as possible is always the best bet in this environment. But it's still better to get it right-ish :)

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
are you allowed to share this with us before it is released? i'm honestly curious how you read that.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm going to put my headphones on later and listen to this. I guarantee I'll fall asleep within 5 minutes.

Top Bottom