Need to replace spoke nipples, what else should I replace on the wheel?

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
My lovely old school 26er giant FS bike has crappy aluminum spoke nipples, and I keep breaking them. The rims are not tubeless, but I did a ghetto conversion and they are holding air.

Currently I have at least one broken spoke nipple, which means I probably shouldn't be riding on them, but it's currently my only bike. (the other one is in the shop)

So if I don't kill myself and get the other bike back should I: (my time is ok, I just don't want to spend tons of money on this bike)

1. Get new nipples and re-nipple my bike (is this a word?
2. You need new spokes dummy, get them too.
3. Somebody on this forum must have a newly new stans 26er wheelset with a 15 mm straight axle for the front that's just collecting dust in their basement and will want to unload on me for cheap.
4. $ no object, talk to Jim V and get carbon hoops for this bad boy.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Someone forgot...
bike-in-fire-clip-art_csp30495620.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Buy new nipples (just get brass) and re-lace the wheel and you're golden.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
@knobbyhead Yes, this was an annoying problem with that Trance but I was able to replace a single nipple when it cracked without re-lacing the whole wheel and LBS would usually toss me a couple nipples for free if i asked. This was the quickest/cheapest option and held together fine. Basic steps were:
1. Get broken nipple off spoke (by either cracking it or unthreading it from spoke if it already pulled through. Might need to remove tire to get it from inside rim instead).
2. Remove tire/tube, pull back rimstrip and insert new nipple in rim hole. Hold in place with needle nose or screwdriver. (with it now being ghetto tubeless, this will be harder/messier)
3. Thread new nipple onto spoke and tighten
4. True the wheel

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
@knobbyhead Yes, this was an annoying problem with that Trance but I was able to replace a single nipple when it cracked without re-lacing the whole wheel and LBS would usually toss me a couple nipples for free if i asked. This was the quickest/cheapest option and held together fine. Basic steps were:
1. Get broken nipple off spoke (by either cracking it or unthreading it from spoke if it already pulled through. Might need to remove tire to get it from inside rim instead).
2. Remove tire/tube, pull back rimstrip and insert new nipple in rim hole. Hold in place with needle nose or screwdriver. (with it now being ghetto tubeless, this will be harder/messier)
3. Thread new nipple onto spoke and tighten
4. True the wheel

Thanks, I really like running tubeless, so I want to get it done once and for all. Once I get the other bile back I still have some extra nipples you gave me. BTW, it's running great.

Top Bottom