Need some newer bike recomendations

Has anyone ordered through Evo?

I placed an order from them on 6-7, the bike will hopefully be here tuesday. Their customer service was quick to respond, although they weren't super knowledgeable about the bike. I had to have them check the actual bike vs the specs on the bike. They said the bike has a RCT3 pike, but Devinci said it should be a RC. Also Devinci saied they didn't sell that level bike in the color I got, but it would be possible to get the frame and parts kit separate.
I expect the parts to match what was listed and if not, then I will talk to Evo about it, but so far everything has gone smooth.

A friend or 2 has also ordered from them without issue and the bikes arrived well packed and damage free.

I placed an order from them on 6-7, the bike will hopefully be here tuesday. Their customer service was quick to respond, although they weren't super knowledgeable about the bike. I had to have them check the actual bike vs the specs on the bike. They said the bike has a RCT3 pike, but Devinci said it should be a RC. Also Devinci saied they didn't sell that level bike in the color I got, but it would be possible to get the frame and parts kit separate.
I expect the parts to match what was listed and if not, then I will talk to Evo about it, but so far everything has gone smooth.

A friend or 2 has also ordered from them without issue and the bikes arrived well packed and damage free.

Which Devinci did you buy?

Did you have an opportunity to ride one ahead of time or was your purchased based on dimensions? I am having a hard time justifiying the cost without being able to see/ride ahead of time just base on specs and reviews..

I rode the Devinci marshall, which is similar, but more designed for aggressive riding, so its slacked out and the suspension ramps up faster. But the sizing is the same as the Django. I found the Marshall too slack and aggressive for my style of riding, so the the Django which is a little plusher and more XC/Trail oriented, should be perfect.

I've had 8 different bikes over the last 5 years, I like to try different styles, fat bikes, SS, full suspensions, gravel bikes. All but one was ordered online and the one from the shop was the only one that was the wrong size and I was always fighting with. I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how a bike will fit and ride and have no issues order online. But it can be a gamble if you aren't sure

Thanks.. I know I always rode large sized frames 5ft11 with a 32-33 inseam. Just I have been out of riding for some time and everything has changed..

Thanks.. I know I always rode large sized frames 5ft11 with a 32-33 inseam. Just I have been out of riding for some time and everything has changed..

Bikes have changed a whole bunch in the last few years. Demo as many as you can so you can get a feel for the newer lower slacker geo. Even going on group rides and asking other if you can take a quick spin on their bike is helpful. Hell, I've even asked people I have passed on trails if I could try their bike.

Bikes have changed a whole bunch in the last few years. Demo as many as you can so you can get a feel for the newer lower slacker geo. Even going on group rides and asking other if you can take a quick spin on their bike is helpful. Hell, I've even asked people I have passed on trails if I could try their bike.
Did your Devinci show up yesterday?

Nope. UPS tracking system is a mess. When I called to find out where the bike was, they kept telling me "it's not your fault it wasn't delivered on time" WTF.

The bike is suppose to be here by 12:30 today

The bike arrive. Evo did a great job packing it and everything was tuned already. Just had to install the bars and wheel.
The only difference from what was described on Evo site is the bike has the Pike RC and not RCT3, but it is boost spacing, which Evo didn't list. The Devinci website has it listed correctly. So no surprises and not an issue

Django.jpeg

The bike arrive. Evo did a great job packing it and everything was tuned already. Just had to install the bars and wheel.
The only difference from what was described on Evo site is the bike has the Pike RC and not RCT3, but it is boost spacing, which Evo didn't list. The Devinci website has it listed correctly. So no surprises and not an issue

View attachment 70810
that's a medium? looks huge
which build is that

haha, cross post misremember, okay that looks better then
report back after you get some time in the saddle, very interested your thoughts
btw< what were you riding prior as a comparison?

Will do
I'm down to Full Suspension Turner fat bike and a Otso rigid fat bike. Sold off the others, SS HT and FS bikes
The turner is like a baja truck, just blast over everything, you don't really feel the trail. It will climb anything, just not quickly.
The Otso is 24lbs and is light and fast, but doesn't handle the chatter well. So if I want to pop off roots, I need to make sure I can clear them all, otherwise I take a beating. And downhill braking bumps were pretty rough. Getting with a suspension fork on the Otso would have solved many issues, but what fun is that.

My update from today is I ended up finding a leftover 2017 tallboy 27.5+ locally and they gave me a price I could not pass up.. I did take it for a short ride before talking money and after riding the Trek ex8, Devinci Django 29er, and Cannondale habit over the last 3 days I jumped on this and immediately just felt comfortable.. The demo I did a few weeks back was on the 29er version and I thought going there I wasn't going to like the 27.5+ tires.. Nope loved them had no issues pulling the front right up into a wheelie and riding it on the end of curbs.. Went back in talked price and there we go... Ride report tomorrow for the yellow trail up a Mahlon Dickerson coming tomorrow..

haha, cross post misremember, okay that looks better then
report back after you get some time in the saddle, very interested your thoughts
btw< what were you riding prior as a comparison?

So I have a few rides on the Django and so far I am very happy with it. I felt very comfortable on the bike right from the start. Didn't have to fight with it at all to get it to do what I wanted. Corners awesome, took a couple of turns to realize that it takes a lot less effort to turn in that the fat bikes, pinged a few inside trees in the beginning. But changing lines mid corner is much easier, plus being able to stuff it in a corner and squaring it off instead of just having to rail around the outside is a lot of fun. The bike goes where I look, which is very important. It took a little bit to be confident in the tires compared to the huge traction of the fat bikes, but the High Roller II front and Ardent rear do well, I like that the ardent will start to slide first, no issues with pushing the front. They also don't want to flex and climb up bermed corners like the fatty does. The cornering is very confidence inspiring, not something I had with my older 29s or the 429 I tried which had the same tires.

Suspension wise, I am running 30-35% in the back, 25% in the front. I have to use a lot of pressure in the Monach Debonair shock, ~260psi. I haven't added any volume spacers because it works, but may add a negative air spacer at some point. Over the roots and rocks, the suspension is plush in the beginning,The back ramps up fast which give nice support in corners and has the bottomless feel on the smaller drops that I do. The Pike also feels great. Plush but also great mid travel support. Doesn't feeling like it is using too much travel coming into downhill corners with bumps. I like it better than some of the Fox 34s I have riddens. I'm sure they could be tuned to work for my weight, but it is nice to have it the way I like, straight out of the box.

The trails I ride are similar to Hartshorne, little steeper, tighter and more roots. No crazy downhills, so with the 130mm,120mm travel, the bike does great, if I want to ride over the roots, its plush, but if I want to pop off them, the mid travel support along with the short chainstays makes it fun and easy. I find that I'm now looking for stuff to play on instead of going around or over them.

It climbs well. It doesn't have that hardtail snappiness feel. But even in the slacker geo setting, the front wheel tracks straight when the climbs get steep and slow. Not a rocketship going up, but a nice neutral feel. It sprints ok, again not the hardtail feel. no sudden surge forward. Not an issue for me since it wasn't what I was looking for out of bike.

I like the 27.5 wheels, I haven't found any negative on my trails, but also no huge benefit. I'm not wheel size makes that big of a difference here.

The only issues are the bike creaks, I pulled it apart last night to grease some of the pivots and hopefully that will end that. The other Devinci that I demo'ed creaked too, hopefully not a constant problem. The buzz out of the raceface rear hub is annoying, since I'm used to silent hubs, it will eventually get replaced when it breaks. And the reverb is already has a slight wiggle to it, which isn't exactly surprising.

In the end, very happy with the bike

unchained 2.jpeg

Last edited:
So I have a few rides on the Django and so far I am very happy with it. I felt very comfortable on the bike right from the start. Didn't have to fight with it at all to get it to do what I wanted. Corners awesome, took a couple of turns to realize that it takes a lot less effort to turn in that the fat bikes, pinged a few inside trees in the beginning. But changing lines mid corner is much easier, plus being able to stuff it in a corner and squaring it off instead of just having to rail around the outside is a lot of fun. The bike goes where I look, which is very important. It took a little bit to be confident in the tires compared to the huge traction of the fat bikes, but the High Roller II front and Ardent rear do well, I like that the ardent will start to slide first, no issues with pushing the front. They also don't want to flex and climb up bermed corners like the fatty does. The cornering is very confidence inspiring, not something I had with my older 29s or the 429 I tried which had the same tires.

Suspension wise, I am running 30-35% in the back, 25% in the front. I have to use a lot of pressure in the Monach Debonair shock, ~260psi. I haven't added any volume spacers because it works, but may add a negative air spacer at some point. Over the roots and rocks, the suspension is plush in the beginning,The back ramps up fast which give nice support in corners and has the bottomless feel on the smaller drops that I do. The Pike also feels great. Plush but also great mid travel support. Doesn't feeling like it is using too much travel coming into downhill corners with bumps. I like it better than some of the Fox 34s I have riddens. I'm sure they could be tuned to work for my weight, but it is nice to have it the way I like, straight out of the box.

The trails I ride are similar to Hartshorne, little steeper, tighter and more roots. No crazy downhills, so with the 130mm,120mm travel, the bike does great, if I want to ride over the roots, its plush, but if I want to pop off them, the mid travel support along with the short chainstays makes it fun and easy. I find that I'm now looking for stuff to play on instead of going around or over them.

It climbs well. It doesn't have that hardtail snappiness feel. But even in the slacker geo setting, the front wheel tracks straight when the climbs get steep and slow. Not a rocketship going up, but a nice neutral feel. It sprints ok, again not the hardtail feel. no sudden surge forward. Not an issue for me since it wasn't what I was looking for out of bike.

I like the 27.5 wheels, I haven't found any negative on my trails, but also no huge benefit. I'm not wheel size makes that big of a difference here.

The only bad is the bike creaks, I pulled it apart last night to grease some of the pivots and hopefully that will end that. The other Devinci that I demo'ed creaked too, hopefully not a constant problem. The buzz out of the raceface rear hub is annoying, since I'm used to silent hubs, it will eventually get replaced when it breaks.

In the end, very happy with the bike

View attachment 71181
Great review, did you get a chance to ride uphill twisties or switchbacks. That's one of my big requirements which my next bike will have.
Also didn't pickup that you got the 27.5 version, any reason not the 29, especially for short/mid travel and your height? I've tried to love 27.5, but maybe haven't been on the right bike for me.

Back
Top Bottom