Need some new tires

c.liston

I’ve been running Ground Controls on my Fatboy for about two years now and they are coming to the end. I like them overall and have never had issues with them. I’m just looking for something different. My fatbike has become my goto lately so i want something for general trail blasting but obviously snow too.

Any good suggestions. 4.6 or maybe 4.8”

Thx

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Your gonna get many different answers but i like the schwable jumbo jims 4.8s EXO for all around. Huge weight savings with these tires and held up well in gnar of allamuchy.

rick81721

Lothar
i think @rick81721 has caught the OOS post whore virus . . . everyone stay away so you dont catch it too!

girlsassylarge.gif

FitmanNJ

I’ve got a pair of Bontrager 26”x4.7” Barbegazis with about 5 rides on them (virtually new) that I’d sell you for $100. I got a little self-steer from them at <5 psi on dirt. If you don’t run your pressures that “ridiculously” low, however, they’re a great tire. I would add, though, that the modest-sized knobs are better suited for “3-season”/dirt use and roll very well, but they are not as effective in snow as some of the bigger knobbed tires (for instance, Surly Bud & Lou). If you think they’d meet your needs, just reach out to me. David

Frank

Sasquatch
While I love the traction of my 4.8 Minions, they do come with a weight penalty. That said my Farley had 4.7 Barbegazis on them and they were much lighter than my Minions and had really good traction. You should contact @FitmanNJ as that is a great deal.

oobaa47

3rd year on my minions and knobs look brand new (maybe I need to ride more?). Traction is incredible. Just curious, why are minions so much heavier than the barbegazis? Thicker carcass and sidewalls? I only ride up in NNJ were the are plenty of rocks, and I haven't had a puncture, tear, or tubeless fail yet on the minions, so I'll gladly take on a little more rotational weight in exchange for durability.....

Frank

Sasquatch
3rd year on my minions and knobs look brand new (maybe I need to ride more?). Traction is incredible. Just curious, why are minions so much heavier than the barbegazis? Thicker carcass and sidewalls? I only ride up in NNJ were the are plenty of rocks, and I haven't had a puncture, tear, or tubeless fail yet on the minions, so I'll gladly take on a little more rotational weight in exchange for durability.....
I think the tread is where the weight is, Barbegazi's have small knobs in comparison.

c.liston

I actually ordered the Jumbo Jim’s in the 4.4” side. Snakeskin/addix

I really like the bulllit proof of my Nobby Nics and the lbs recommended them but based on their personal use the 4.8” rub a lot in the chain stays of the Fatboy. I figured the 4.4” will be a nice in the middle between the fast rolling 4.0 and old 4.6 I had. I could not risk riding the Fat50 on that old rubber

Last edited:

FitmanNJ

I actually ordered the Jumbo Jim’s in the 4.4” side. Snakeskin/addix

I really like the bulllit proof of my Nobby Nics and the lbs recommended them but based on their personal use the 4.8” rub a lot in the chain stays of the Fatboy. I figured the 4.4” will be a nice in the middle between the fast rolling 4.0 and old 4.6 I had. I could not risk riding the Fat50 on that old rubber
Good luck with the Jumbo Jims -- they're another great tire and one of my favorites. I found the 4.8" JJs to be a little sketchy in snow, however, but less so on hardpack. For future reference, I ran the Barbegazis on my Fatboy using 90mm rims and had plenty of clearance...

Johnny Utah

I love the 45nrth 120 tpi 4.8 Dillinger 5’s in the winter, but come warmer weather a 3.8 tire is just so much faster/easier to push (the five runs small and fits a Beargrease on a 85mm rim). That being said the 3.8 Surly Knard in a 120tpi is the bees knees for the warm weather. The 4.8 is too sketchy in snow/ice.

c.liston

So far I like the 4.4’s. They are a very stiff feeling tire. I’m still dialing in psi. On the Ground Controls I could 7fr/8rr and be perfect. That is like a rock on these so I’m playing with settings to give a fast but compliant ride

Top Bottom