Need recommendation on new roadbike tire

rojasj

I know this is a MTB Forum but many of us also ride road bikes as well. I've had it with my Continental GP 4000 tires as the sidewalls love to fall apart. I inflate my tires to the proper PSI and I am careful not dunk them into the many NJ potholes. So far I've had two front tires and one rear tire develop sidewall issues and one set the sidewalls just began to unravel after a few weeks of riding. Rather than once again contacting the US Conti distributor to replace the tires, I think it's time to replace the Conti's with another brand. By chance can I get some recommendations on 700x23C folding road bike tires that roll nicely but offer some good puncture resistance and have good sidewalls ?

Thanks all....

rick81721

Lothar
I know this is a MTB Forum but many of us also ride road bikes as well. I've had it with my Continental GP 4000 tires as the sidewalls love to fall apart. I inflate my tires to the proper PSI and I am careful not dunk them into the many NJ potholes. So far I've had two front tires and one rear tire develop sidewall issues and one set the sidewalls just began to unravel after a few weeks of riding. Rather than once again contacting the US Conti distributor to replace the tires, I think it's time to replace the Conti's with another brand. By chance can I get some recommendations on 700x23C folding road bike tires that roll nicely but offer some good puncture resistance and have good sidewalls ?

Thanks all....

I'd like to find out as well

IMG_20190508_124327.jpg

IMG_20190128_104516.jpg

IMG_20181125_120811.jpg

mwlikesbikes

Opinions vary for sure but I run 25c GP 4000s black chili compound (tubes) and I won’t run anything else. Blackwall not skinwall.
Is tubeless an option? My next road wheelset will be.

So basically, I’m no friggin’ help. Sorry bro...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I’m in love with my 28mm Panaracer Gravel King tires. That size fit most road frames. They are super durable, set up tubeless and roll pretty damn well. They make a 26mm that will fit most of not all road frames.

82A59584-85B1-4D16-89FB-4793DDD9371C.jpeg

If you’re looking for a tire that stays together, this is the one.

I swap from that wheelset for crappy days/rain/everyday riding, to another wheelset with Specialized Cotton 26mm tires. These are super fast but wear fast. I’ve run them in most conditions and in some gravel, but I save them for go fast days.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I know your upset at conti, but I’ve run conti gatorskin 25c with no issues for years. That includes thousands of miles of rough nyc streets and racing at pot holed Floyd Bennett field. I got plenty of flats on many other lightweight tires including conti, but haven’t had issues since switching to gatorskin protected tires. I don’t care about the extra weight, the protection is worth it. You may want to switch to 25 or 28c tires if your bike will fit them, almost all the pro teams ride 25c now.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I've been running the 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance and am very happy with the performance and the number of flats.

rojasj

I know your upset at conti, but I’ve run conti gatorskin 25c with no issues for years. That includes thousands of miles of rough nyc streets and racing at pot holed Floyd Bennett field. I got plenty of flats on many other lightweight tires including conti, but haven’t had issues since switching to gatorskin protected tires. I don’t care about the extra weight, the protection is worth it. You may want to switch to 25 or 28c tires if your bike will fit them, almost all the pro teams ride 25c now.

I forgot that Conti made the gatorskin's. I may give them a try.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The 4 season tires are pretty durable too. I think a smidge lighter as well

This is what I’ve been running but I’ve had faster tires. I am not a speed demon by any stretch so I stick with them. They handle the dirt roads in the Sourlands really well. Im not a light weight and don’t have to deal with flats (knock wood).

iman29

+1 for gator skins when it comes to all around riding. There’s a bit of a weight penalty but before I started trying out some non TT bike time trial races I used to run 25s all year round.

During peak season (now) I ride 25mm conti GP 4000II with no issues. They just came out with the successor to that tire called 5000s but I have not tried it yet.

As others have mentioned many I know use the all season tires and it’s midway compromise between gator skins and GP ones.

I guess it all depends on where you ride and how often. I prefer the gator skins one the roads get dirty in the fall since they offer more puncture protection and I don’t go fast anyway.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom