Need R wheel recommendation.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I'm currently running a DT Swiss XM401. It's way too flexy for me. Can anyone recommend a solid rear wheel that's not too heavy but also doesn't cost $600+ for a single wheel?

Thanks.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm currently running a DT Swiss XM401. It's way too flexy for me. Can anyone recommend a solid rear wheel that's not too heavy but also doesn't cost $600+ for a single wheel?

Thanks.

Probably good to know weight, style of riding and width of the tire.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I'm 200 lbs. I ride aggressively on mostly rocky and technical XC trails. I'm running 2.3 tires now but am switching to 2.5, which is the max my frame will take. Axle width is 142x12.

Last edited:

qclabrat

have you looked at the Stan's Flow MK3s? max rider weight is 250 and is perfect for 2.5-2.6 tires

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Side question for wheel builders: will brass nipples make for a stiffer wheel over alloy?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Side question for wheel builders: will brass nipples make for a stiffer wheel over alloy?

no, but they will last longer and make it possible to true up your wheels after riding through a winter in NJ. at 200lbs, alloy nipples are not someplace to cut weight.

Heavier spokes will build a stiffer wheel. So will hubs with better bracing angles. Also stiffer rims.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

No, but living in NJ where the DOT loves to spread calcium chloride like confetti, id always recommend brass nipples. Even better yet are the proloc DT BRASS nipples.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/technology/wheel-technology/pro-lock-technology/

As for a solid wheel, I'd use a HOPE pro 4, Stans Flow Rim, DT Competition spokes and Brass pro loc nipples.

I'm confidnet in this build. I've sold a ton just like this to 200 plus lb types.

These are also quite tough:

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/cliffhanger-584

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
have you looked at the Stan's Flow MK3s? max rider weight is 250 and is perfect for 2.5-2.6 tires
Am I correct to assume a wider rim will increase the tire profile? Stan's Flow MK3 are nice but at 32mm wide I'm afraid the rim will be too wide to fit a 2.5 in my frame. I have minimal clearance now for a 2.5 tire with my current 27mm XM401.

szymon

Ive been using Eastons heist 27 for training wheels and so far they have been solid wheels, alittle heavy but nice and can be found pretty cheap online.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
DT Swiss is known for making some robust rims, but I’d say the ones you’re on are probably a little too light for riding up north (if that’s where you ride). And if you’re a big or aggressive rider, I wouldn't go too much wider than 30mm internal. Go too wide, and you may dent the wheels because some rim profiles (Stans) will be too shallow. Also, the spokes and build really determine the amount of flex vs. the rim itself. Good hubs and spokes, vs. the crap some pre-made wheels come with. In NJ, most folks go too light on the spoke gauge. For me, riding a 29 vs. 31lb bike makes zero difference. My next rims will be with the XM481.

Top Bottom