Need networking help

rlb

I've set up a few cameras around the house and I'm trying to square away the networking side of it.

So I have my primary router (router A) with a few VLANS set up for various things, and my laptop connects to the main VLAN. I'm fairly comfortable playing with the settings on this router (Cisco Rv215).

Then I have my security network on router B, which contains cameras and a dedicated recording PC. Router B is an old Linksys WRT-54GL running an old version of DDWRT. I havent messed with that in quite some time.

I have a few objectives:
  1. Connect to the recording PC via RDP from my laptop. Normally the pc will not have internet access, but I may occasionally want it for updates etc. I don't want the cameras to have internet access ever.
  2. VPN into router A and access the recording PC as I would from home.

For now I'm only concerned with 1. What's the best way to do this? DMZ on router B to expose the pc to router A? Is there another way? As usual I know enough here to be dangerous....

IMG_20190124_201338.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Router A isn't really a router, it is a nat box. Make router B a router, it will learn what it is connected to. Devices behind it will not be accessible from the internet directly, but the laptop will be able to get to it. You may need to set up dns and static IP addresses.

To access the laptop, look into remote desktop solutions like chrome remote

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
dc3abc21c37a340d467433e8ad230576.gif

Mathers

Could you set Router B to a different Sub-net than router A then VPN into router B when needed?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Could you set Router B to a different Sub-net than router A then VPN into router B when needed?

this is what i meant about B being a router...no need for vpn. maybe i'll draw a picture - would be easier
to understand.

Top Bottom