Need help with stuck seatpost

ElPablo

Does anyone have a bench vise i could "borrow" to remove a stuck aluminum post from a vintage Bianchi ? I got it to twist a quarter turn with a pipe but no more...

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Does anyone have a bench vise i could "borrow" to remove a stuck aluminum post from a vintage Bianchi ? I got it to twist a quarter turn with a pipe but no more...
This would depend on where you are located. I'm a bit far south of Montreal. ;)

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Torch-on-Sawzall.jpg

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Have you tried removing the bottom bracket, turning it upside down and spraying penetrating oil down the seat tube?

If seat tube isn't accessible via bottom bracket, turn upside down and spray the oil in through one of the bottle bosses.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i had this EXACT problem with a seized aluminum seat post in my old steel trek. tried big pipe wrench, PB, and every thing i could think of. none of them individually solved it. eventually i used a combo of heat, a sawzall, and BFH to remove it. good luck man.

qclabrat

i had this EXACT problem with a seized aluminum seat post in my old steel trek. tried big pipe wrench, PB, and every thing i could think of. none of them individually solved it. eventually i used a combo of heat, a sawzall, and BFH to remove it. good luck man.
yep, hope you don't need the post, in most cases they get pretty trashed.
When bike maintenance mattered to me, I'd often remove the post and quill stems regularly to prevent seizing.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yep, hope you don't need the post, in most cases they get pretty trashed.
When bike maintenance mattered to me, I'd often remove the post and quill stems regularly to prevent seizing.

yah, those things have to be removed and hit with a light coat of lube every so often or they just oxidize. if not, that's when things get REALLY ugly.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Having similar problem with aluminum imsert stuck in titanium frame.

ElPablo

Lubing and putting the bike upside down in a bench vise and rotating the frame really works. But it does mangle the seatpost.

The bike was given to me by a childhood friend - we use to ogle over his brother’s Bianchi when we were kids - so it has a lot of sentimental value :)

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sometimes the post welds itself on to the frame so bad that hacksaw is the only option. If this is the case, be prepared for spend a few days + lots of curses cutting it out. Don't ever let @jmanic start hitting it with a screwdriver and hammer.

Since the seat post actually moved in your case, I suspect it can still be twist off.

I grease the hell out of all my seat posts, esp aluminum to steel.

20170927-192152.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It's a thing they make in house. It's basically a clamp with handles. It's legit. I want one.

Top Bottom