Need Driveway/Paver Reccomendation

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We're nearing the finish of out reno, and in front of the garage is a muddy shit show of a mess. Not ready to do the entire driveway yet, but need someone to do some work. Dig down some, lay the appropriate sand/stone/gravel combo to be usable for a while (year??) before reworking the entire driveway area......

Anyone do this or have a good recommendation?

qclabrat

We're nearing the finish of out reno, and in front of the garage is a muddy shit show of a mess. Not ready to do the entire driveway yet, but need someone to do some work. Dig down some, lay the appropriate sand/stone/gravel combo to be usable for a while (year??) before reworking the entire driveway area......

doing the drive is the biggest money pit you will ever spend, which lasts less than 10 years in NJ
ours is in fair shape I dread having to spend the coin in the coming years. I plan to do it 2-3 years before we sell
I don't have a recommendation, as my last one was not great.

The only suggestion I can give is to find a neighbor who is getting one done and get his price. Call the contractor and offer him 60% of what your neighbor paid. Paving materials are so cheap he'll still profit getting two jobs pumped out in one day. My friend got his small drive done for $300 by just walking over to the contractor and asking. His was just a paveover, but I paid over 7K for a rip out with some pavers and few sidewalk squares. That was over 10 yrs ago, so I'm sure it would be more now.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Since u are not ready to pave why don't you get some quarry process stone (QP) delivered and cover mud hole. It's a quick fix to get out of the mud. Doing any kind of finish paving before renovation is a waste, like redoing your hardwood floors before you paint the interior of your house.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Since u are not ready to pave why don't you get some quarry process stone (QP) delivered and cover mud hole. It's a quick fix to get out of the mud. Doing any kind of finish paving before renovation is a waste, like redoing your hardwood floors before you paint the interior of your house.

Thought about that, but the dirt/mud is super soft. Any amount of QP would most likely sink in under the weight of the car (according to GC). We're 2-4 weeks from being done, and I just need to be able to get the cars in and out for a few months. Ideally, I'd just do it all in one shot, but $$, so need to split the process up.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thought about that, but the dirt/mud is super soft. Any amount of QP would most likely sink in under the weight of the car (according to GC). We're 2-4 weeks from being done, and I just need to be able to get the cars in and out for a few months. Ideally, I'd just do it all in one shot, but $$, so need to split the process up.
If you want to split process up then have a contractor put in sub grade with QP stone. When he does this he should grade it properly so you don't get standing water/mud. He can come back and do paving at a later date.
However I still think if you pump out standing water and remove mud then fill with QP it would work and be a quick cheap fix.

I Ride Bikes

@MadisonDan I don't know of any contractors but I think you are doing the right thing by putting the base in early. Sounds like it's very soft and probably extends fairly deep. Putting the base in now will allow it to dry a bit and settle before the asphalt is applied. You don't want it to settle after its paved.

Top Bottom