Neck Pain, Always Fit??

YouRang87

Hey, I started to develop neck pain on the road bike. Starts about 20 miles in. I am asking if it is possible to get neck pain without it being a fit issue? Yes fit is everything, and J at Halters is amazing at fitting as he fitted me on my CX bike I bought there. BUT, I want to know from your experiences is fit the only way to get a sore neck in the bike.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's not the most comfortable position to be in on a road bike as you have to look up more. I get neck and lower back pain after a ride all the time, but my core strength is shit. I would imagine core and shoulder strengthening would help both of us for sure. I've just been looking up with my eyes more than trying to hold my head up.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I do often. Not 100% sure why. Road position is quite restricting and can fatigue neck muscles. Mountain bike has always been better for me.

YouRang87

I know it’s mtb Forum but about 95 percent. I use the CX bike for flow trails like Mercer and Clayton and the canal when muddy.
I want to add this is on a new bike I built up in the winter, steel frame. The first 100 or so miles had zero pain, now it’s always hurting, so I assumed fit, changed out many stems and it’s to the point my bars are above my seat. My other roadie carbon compact geo blah blah blah is set up more aggressive but haven’t rode it since this all started due to putting some new stuff on it so I can’t compare. I guess what’s strange is 100 miles on a +6 110 stem no issues. Then it started and I’ve worked all the way to a +17 90mm. It’s going to look like chopper soon.

Any chance it’s compact vs traditional geo or is that marketing mumbo jumbo. Any chance it’s just bad form? I guess the true test is to get my parts done on the other and ride it to compare. It’s not road position rookie as I’ve done almost all road for the past 3 years.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Sometimes upright position is worse. It can vary by body geometry. I know I need to stretch out. There is a sweet spot that can vary greatly between people. It may be worth going to a fit guru. Have you had knee and foot alignment checked. You may have always had this and something is exaggerated with spinning more with compact. I am no expert, just talking from my own experience.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Hey, I started to develop neck pain on the road bike. Starts about 20 miles in. I am asking if it is possible to get neck pain without it being a fit issue? Yes fit is everything, and J at Halters is amazing at fitting as he fitted me on my CX bike I bought there. BUT, I want to know from your experiences is fit the only way to get a sore neck in the bike.
No, do RAAM and see if your neck gets soar.

YouRang87

Pixie, you have a point/question I was thinking....now that I’m so “up” can being so up or lax cause the same issues"

YouRang87

I think but not sure being I prefer to ride like a lone rangers #airheads “see what I did” that maybe I am scrunching my shoulders up like some punk on a fixie all of a sudden. I do not feel putting my my new soma frame on Craig’s. Shout out to 1sh0t soma

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
First and foremost, fits are extremely subjective by the fitter. They set you up based on what they feel is in a normal range. Many of us, myself included, don't fit in that range. A fit is nothing more than a starting point.

Having said that, 20 miles is a pretty short timeframe to feel discomfort at all so there's definitely something going on bike related or not. I would suggest tinkering with the bike on your own until it feels right to you, whether it's right or wrong.

qclabrat

any other pain or tingling going on? I have neck problems and going through a flare up this week. Can feel tingling and numbness in the fingers. That my body telling me to check the ergo at work and home on the computer and take more breaks. Anything you done recently to possibly cause vertebrae or spine issues?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you ride in this position for hours and don't move at all, your neck will eventually hurt no matter how good the fit is. Move around more, sit up, stand up, ride no handed, keep changing positions. I find I have to start the movements before things start to hurt. Once it starts to hurt it's too late. Doing this is more mental than physical.

forearms-on-bars.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I concur with soundz about moving around. I think that is why mountain biking might be easier on ones neck than road riding.

Top Bottom