Nassau Trail conditions

It's all taped up.

I was there early this morning and it was awesome, but you knew it wouldn't last.

Hopefully people respect the trails are very sensitive right now

729049E9-4D04-4155-9F98-2ECC2B4BBDD0.jpeg
9CF9E27E-D535-4B78-A7AA-317B8115874D.jpeg
5C7550D2-68EB-48D4-A3B6-981D8E29EE64.jpeg
1994ECD5-93FF-444C-AF9D-6F9A73333337.jpeg
25C4B97D-4D02-4B96-836E-80A0C543E52B.jpeg

Sorry, I'm bad with names. From the pics it looks like everything is closed. Am I correct?

a few of us central jersey folks (yes, that's an actual place) made it to nassau just in time yesterday. it was my first time ever there.

we got there around 730 and managed to ride for a few hours before the thaw set in. glad we made it, because that place is fantastic!

i like the simplicity of taping it off and just calling it closed via social media, etc. does that actually work, or do people still ride and rut it up?

I wondered if the tape would come out with the melt of this new warm spell and the upcoming rain forecasted.. Bums me out, but it's probably the right move. It's likely going to be ugly conditions for a while.

Boy though, it sure was nice while it was frozen with that light coating of groomed snow.

Guess I won't bother checking it later in the week after temps drop. Is there any place decent to ride do we just need to wait for spring?

Where do you live? Chances are dry trails can be found at a store near you.
Trail stores.
http://www.mtbnj.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Trail_Directory

The map in the link doesn't seem to be working, but I've searched on single tracks and trail forks.

I live in Washington Twp, Morris. I'm about 15 mins from Stephens, maybe 20 from Nassau. I go to both when I can.

More often then not, I try to ride someplace between dropping of my daughter in Long Valley and work near Livingston. Usually that's LewMo, but lately they've been having hunting on Wed AM so I can't go there. Tried Chimney Rock and found they have hunting the same time. Last time I went to Six Mile Run, which is pretty out of the way but was a good ride at least. But if it thaws at all that's a no go

No I'm trying to find something else kinda along the route thats good for about an hour in the morning. I could try Round Valley. Haven't been there in years.

Last edited:
No I'm trying to find something else kinda along the route thats good for about an hour in the morning. I could try Round Valley. Haven't been there in years.
Round Valley drains really well and never gets muddy, thats a good choice in the winter. RV is an out and back trail, if you park at the boat launch you can go out and avoid the steeper climbs further into the park if you turn around about 30 minutes in.
Of the trails you mentioned Stephens is the funnest imo and it drains fairly well. Lewis Morris has there last Deer Hunt of the season this Wednesday 2/6. Chimney rock has its last Deer Hunt next Wednesday on 2/13. You'll have options sooner then you think, don't put your bike away.
Also we are having a group ride this Saturday at Stephens, join us if you"d like.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/group-ride-2-9-stephens.46398/

Round Valley drains really well and never gets muddy, thats a good choice in the winter. RV is an out and back trail, if you park at the boat launch you can go out and avoid the steeper climbs further into the park if you turn around about 30 minutes in.
Of the trails you mentioned Stephens is the funnest imo and it drains fairly well. Lewis Morris has there last Deer Hunt of the season this Wednesday 2/6. Chimney rock has its last Deer Hunt next Wednesday on 2/13. You'll have options sooner then you think, don't put your bike away.
Also we are having a group ride this Saturday at Stephens, join us if you"d like.
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/group-ride-2-9-stephens.46398/

Sounds like it's time to go back to Round Valley. I used to ride there all the time about 20 years ago. Started on a rigid which is quickly had converted to a hard-tail. Once we got turned on to Chimney Rock we rarely went back to RV. I'll give it a try.

Ok, so next week LewMo is good. Hope the weather is good.

I'd love to do that group ride, but too many activities Saturday morning. Gotta drive the kiddos.

Sounds like it's time to go back to Round Valley. I used to ride there all the time about 20 years ago. Started on a rigid which is quickly had converted to a hard-tail. Once we got turned on to Chimney Rock we rarely went back to RV. I'll give it a try.

I'd love to do that group ride, but too many activities Saturday morning. Gotta drive the kiddos.

i'm not sure 30 minutes from the boat launch is going to get you any good single track beyond the powerline switchbacks - there is a bunch of fire road, that does have water.
try parking in the cushetunk lot - check strava for the Z-climb, over the saddle, out red, until your turn around time, then back.

The first half mile (all the double tract) of RV has been pure mud for months now. Worst it’s been in years. With that said no one seems to care about RV so go ride anyway.....just don’t expect it to be dry.

The first half mile (all the double tract) of RV has been pure mud for months now. Worst it’s been in years. With that said no one seems to care about RV so go ride anyway.....just don’t expect it to be dry.

start from cush - or ride the road and climb over the gate at the dam access road.
also going to find mud at the dam, all the way to the start of the climb after the scout camp access road.

can also park at cornhuskers park and go in the payphone gate (the fence goes 20' into the woods on both sides and stops)

looks like a couple days of rain coming, so no relief. we were thinking about it for friday, but could be cancelled soon.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions