Nassau Trail conditions

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was there yesterday too. My bike came out just about spotless ( that's how I judge conditions).

, And I don't think it rained at all last night, so unless it starts to rain, it's good to go.

pkovo

Other than weirdos stealing rocks, trails conditions are good today.....at least on spring-side where I rode. There are a few "damp" spots, but just barely. Most of it is tacky and pretty fast......too bad I'm just tacky, not pretty or fast.

Last 2 times I rode the new "sidewinder" rail I hesitated and wimped out on that rock drop at the last minute. Something about the fact that I can't see the landing makes me ride like a big baby. It's bumming me out.

What's with those crazy doubles as the trail heads back out. I mean, can anyone hit/clear those? I think this trail is only going to get better and better as it wears in.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last 2 times I rode the new "sidewinder" rail I hesitated and wimped out on that rock drop at the last minute. Something about the fact that I can't see the landing makes me ride like a big baby. It's bumming me out.

I hit it last time finally. You definitely need all you're weight back. Not being able to see the landing is sketchy, but once you do it, it's pretty easy

pkovo

I hit it last time finally. You definitely need all you're weight back. Not being able to see the landing is sketchy, but once you do it, it's pretty easy

I did it the first time I hit that trail, kind of went sketchy, now I'm just a sissy. I rode it tonight, and still wimped out....a few times I'm ashamed of myself at this point. Oh well.

However, the dirt out there is "all star" right now. Too bad my legs felt like wt noodles. Still, it's really lots of fun right now. To be fair I only rode Springside so I don't know what the other side is like. I saw "flatlands" is roped off, so must still have some moisture, but on Springside, there;s no moisture and my new minions felt like they were velcroed to the trail.

TPI_Elky

I did it the first time I hit that trail, kind of went sketchy, now I'm just a sissy. I rode it tonight, and still wimped out....a few times I'm ashamed of myself at this point. Oh well.

However, the dirt out there is "all star" right now. Too bad my legs felt like wt noodles. Still, it's really lots of fun right now. To be fair I only rode Springside so I don't know what the other side is like. I saw "flatlands" is roped off, so must still have some moisture, but on Springside, there;s no moisture and my new minions felt like they were velcroed to the trail.

Rode Springside and a few of the loops (Nassau and Bear Country) on the other side in the morning. Everything was pretty dry and traction was good.

ilnadi

Two notes:
1. there is a tree near the top of Rocky Trail (starting from the upper lot) needs a saw (hand saw should do it)
2. I see the tape across Flatlands by the lower lot but the tape at the Bear Creek end seems to be gone. There is tape between two trees that is not blocking of the trail. Didn't want to move the tape but I thought Flatlands was closed.

johnnyrides

Two notes:
1. there is a tree near the top of Rocky Trail (starting from the upper lot) needs a saw (hand saw should do it)
2. I see the tape across Flatlands by the lower lot but the tape at the Bear Creek end seems to be gone. There is tape between two trees that is not blocking of the trail. Didn't want to move the tape but I thought Flatlands was closed.
What are the general conditions like?

stilluf

Nassau was in great shape on Saturday morning. Really enjoyed the new trails in the Springside section. Kudos to the trail crew!!

Robin

Just wondering - there are some trails over by the mulch pile/Columbia Trail parking lot - newer this past winter. I stayed off them during the spring thaw but returned this week to find them overgrown/not maintained. Any idea on what will become/these will get some TLC? (did I just volunteer myself??). @jShort @Jeffreywoliver

stilluf

Sunday am conditions were great. Rain left trails tacky with no mud, improved during ride. Roots were a bit slick to start, but dried out quickly.

Really enjoyed the rock garden on top of the old wall in Springside.

These trails are a lot of fun and well maintained; tip of the cap to the trail crew!

Jeffreywoliver

Just wondering - there are some trails over by the mulch pile/Columbia Trail parking lot - newer this past winter. I stayed off them during the spring thaw but returned this week to find them overgrown/not maintained. Any idea on what will become/these will get some TLC? (did I just volunteer myself??). @jShort @Jeffreywoliver

This short “multipurpose” loop was built as part of agreement with town to expand Springside. From town perspective, they wanted a trail that people could hike and transverse the Pfauth propert where it exists. In truth it wasn’t promoted well and got very limited use. I think repeated maintenance to repair Nassau/Springside this Spring has been the priority. There is also a lot of talk (i.e. interest) in building a pump track at the Commons. This has been idling a bit, and I’m not sure where it stands. (Especially, since one of the council members most interested almost broke his neck being a bonehead at a MTB Park in NC.) This is a long way of saying that the few people who do the work haven’t gotten around to it and I’m not sure if it’s even a priority, but I can ask.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions