N+1: I can't make up my mind

The Squirrel

OK, here's the long of it...I've been going through this "thing"; getting rid of everything (or trying to) and streamlining my life. But, I've had a-hankerin' for a mtb. I have my eye on a used one right here on this board. It's inexpensive and what seems to be a decent entry-level ride.

What's killing my decision-making are two things: 1) It's going to be at least a 45-minute drive to get to a decent destination for me, if not more, and my weekends are not always my own. And 2) will I ride it enough to justify it in my own mind.

So, my questions are a) how far do you travel to ride and b) how often do you ride in the woods?

I'm ready, fire away.

PS: I've almost sold enough crap to buy this bike.

60 minutes or less without thinking about it. Longer requires "special" plans (advance planning.)

try for at least twice a week (or more.) If I make twice that's good with my current schedule.

go for it; even if it winds up sitting it will always be there for you.

i travel to meet people to ride - hour is reasonable. also chain it with other things - beer releases for example.
otherwise i'm 15 minutes from CR, RV, SMP, 6MR, a bit longer to water co and nassau - so kinda spoiled.
doesn't stop me from having a couple different bikes. and like @pearl said - right out the door on the roadie.

i've gotten locked into rides - like the Fun Monday ride, and just plan on it. Bike in car, ready to roll. becomes part of the day - and i look forward to it, and seeing/meeting people as they show up.

20 minutes to get to good trails for me.

An hour to stuff I love.

We have a handful of solid demos. I highly reccomend demo-Ing a few Bikes.

This is a good topic.
I live in Cranford, there are no trails close by. Chimney Rock is 35-45 minutes away depending on traffic. The stuff I love is 45min to an hour north, Allamuchy, Ringwood, Mahlon... I usually head north on the wknds. Working in Monmouth county I hit Allaire or Hartshorne during the week on SS and get a road ride in down there during the week as well.

be better if i wasn't so lazy.
At least you said it :)

This year, I have been riding in the woods 3-4 days a week on average and ride 6-7 days a week.
In January, 26 days with a bike ride, 17 days with a mtb ride. 9 double days, i don't want to do the actually percentage math for hours between road/mtb.
6 days on a bike so far in February, 4 of them had mtb

I can ride to: Core Creek (PA), Baldpdate / Washington Crossing and Water Co on normal weekday rides. Alittle over 5 miles on the tow path gets me to Washington's Crossing. 3 miles on the road to Core Creek. It is easier to just ride to these places.

15-20 min by car: Neshaminy, Mercer, Baldpate / Water Co
30-45: Six Miles, Pennypack (NVR Bin), Wiss (NVR Bin in 20 years), Clayton (Been a few years). Sourlands, Nox

I will probably drive to more places this year, however to @Mountain Bike Mike 's dismay, this doesn't mean 1.5 hours one way to ride. Gotta ease into it since driving to ride is still a tough pill to swallow for me.

Last edited:
a) how far do you travel to ride? Usually 30-60 minutes

b) how often do you ride in the woods? Lately, once a weekend because Winter, darkness, and work

I try to ride for at least as long as the total drive down. This is the reason I have to do two loops at Six Mile or it's not worth going.

20-45 minutes is my window for MTB, unless it's a race or a specific group ride where I can justify the extra time.

**note**
I've driven over 2.5 hours each way in shitty conditions for a 45 minute CX race that was NOT Nationals.

I can usually only hit dirt on the weekends, although I'm going to try to change that this year as we get more daylight. Otherwise, road or trainer.

I have several awesome trail destinations that are 30-45 minutes away, and one that is 15 minutes away. I pretty much only go to the one that is 15 minutes away unless friends convince me to go elsewhere. I don't really like driving any more than I have to.

I've driven over 2.5 hours each way in shitty conditions for a 45 minute CX race that was NOT Nationals.

This floats in the back of my head as well. My first CX race was Granogue (I stayed the weekend), and every other race was at least an hour drive. So, I have driven for cycling, some might say bad cycling, but I'm used to just jumping on my bike at the front door and doing a long ride. I understand having to drive to a destination, it's just not something I've done very often and am trying to see how it will work for me.

I'm trying to negotiate the mtb mentality before I pull the trigger.

When I have to drive to ride, it's typically a 30 minute drive to Wiss (shorter on the weekends if I start early.) Within 30 minutes, I can access Wiss, Belmont or the Green Ribbon Trail. Within 30-45 minutes I can access Green Lane, Nocamixon or the gravel paths like Delaware Canal Trail (PA side) or Perkiomen Trail. Within 1 to 1.5 hours, I can include Middle Run, Fair Hill, Iron Hill, French Creek, Blue Marsh, Marsh Creek, Six Mile, Allaire, Hartshorne, Wharton, and other Jersey spots. If I go 2 to 2.5 hours, I'm now including Patapsco, Susquehannah, Rattling Creek, the up-north stuff in Jersey, Sterling, and some of the eastern parts of Rothrock. The best parts of Rothrock and Raystown are closer to 3 hours. Whenever possible, though, I like to ride out of my driveway. Ever since I discovered the Green Ribbon Trail connects all the way to Philadelphia via singletrack, that's been my favorite option for a ride.

Typical rides are about 2.5-3 hours long during the week, longer - sometimes much longer - on the weekends. (I'm probably not what you'd call 'well-rounded' in my activities at this point in life ...)

I ride probably 6 days a week on average once the weather and conditions permit it - most of that on the trail. I do ride most days over lunch on the road, too, but those rides are about 45 minutes long on the roads right near my office.

None of these things have ever influenced whether or not I bought a bike.

None of these things have ever influenced whether or not I bought a bike.

Life's funny that way. For me, it's trying to figure out if I can carve enough time out of the weekend to actually ride in the woods. Not living close to any ridable woods, the road bike looks more attractive because I can just hop on in and hammer away or take the cross bike to the park and do drills. I'm in Jersey City, so 6 Mile about an hour. Weekday riding is relegated to the trainer at 5 am until May, when I can get up at 4 ish and be out the door to greet the sun before work.

I envy you. I haven't had that type of time to dedicate to riding for over 30 years.

Life's funny that way. For me, it's trying to figure out if I can carve enough time out of the weekend to actually ride in the woods. Not living close to any ridable woods, the road bike looks more attractive because I can just hop on in and hammer away or take the cross bike to the park and do drills. I'm in Jersey City, so 6 Mile about an hour. Weekday riding is relegated to the trainer at 5 am until May, when I can get up at 4 ish and be out the door to greet the sun before work.

I envy you. I haven't had that type of time to dedicate to riding for over 30 years.

When I need it or want it, it's there, However, I will usually default to riding my road bike or the trainer.

Adding could be streamlining. Rid of five and add one. Sometimes the answer is fairly simple we just have to look at it from many lenses. Appears the mountain bike is calling you =)

Can a dark white be darker than a light yellow?

I'm the opposite of @1speed , I have no riding consistency or dedication to the craft.
But I am at least consistent on my willingness to drive to ride. My goals are usually once during the week and the second on the weekend. Weekdays, never 15-20mins off the path from home. Weekends I'm more willing to drive, but rarely more than an hour, which puts Allamuchy and High Mt as far north as I'll go. Weekdays are only a hour ride and weekends are typically 2-3.

For your options to stay under 45 mins from JC, inside the I287 arc are probably your best bets (Chimney Rock, Lewis Morris, Tourne and High Mt.).

a) Lewis Morris and Dickerson Mine are within 10 minutes. Allamuchy, Mahlon, Wildcat within 30 minutes.
b) Probably average once/week in the dirt on the weekends. Can hardly ever do a weekday due to work/kids, but will ride the trainer or run during the week. The other weekend day is usually for the road (excluding the winter).

I'd say go N+1. 45 minutes isn't ideal, but not a deal breaker. Much better than skiing which is 2 hours to decent (and waiting on huge lines once you're there), 5 hours to really good, plane ticket to excellent.

Back
Top Bottom