My rear wheel is making noise...

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
...and I think it's going to break!! It's kinda like a creeking noise but it really shows it self when turning and almost always under power. I'm hoping it's just a loose spoke and not a bad hub but I think I'm going to have to pick up a spare rear wheel to avoid downtime. :(

5wytchBh4kk

Jason said:
...and I think it's going to break!! It's kinda like a creeking noise but it really shows it self when turning and almost always under power. I'm hoping it's just a loose spoke and not a bad hub but I think I'm going to have to pick up a spare rear wheel to avoid downtime. :(

maybe there's a garter snake in it. careful, they squirt lol

is it out of true? does it turn freely and quietly when its on ur work stand? check your spoke tension and also grab it n move it side to side to check hub play. I've fragmented bearings before due to damaged seals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason

JORBA.ORG
5wytchBh4kk said:
is it out of true? does it turn freely and quietly when its on ur work stand? check your spoke tension and also grab it n move it side to side to check hub play. I've fragmented bearings before due to damaged seals.

It does turn freely and doesn't appear to be bent in any way. I also didn't notice any side to side movement.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
ytc100 said:
And the spokes? I have had loose spokes make some noises like you're describing.

I haven't really paid much attention to them since I purchased them ohhh like 3 years ago. I think I'm going to try and pick up a spare if only I can find a shop that's selling a rear only. :rolleyes:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Jason, you have a loose spoke... I can almost guarantee it. Flip the bike over, start at the valve and gently squeeze each spoke pair a little, they should all be taught... spin tire move to next pair and repeat. You will find one or more are loose and proably ready to fall out ! :D And your wheel is probably out of true.

People don't notice wheels being slightly out of true anymore with the advent of disc brakes (the v brakes required a true wheel, otherwise it'd rub)

anyway, if you want to tighten it with a spoke wrench, go for it... just do so carefully w/o stripping the nipple. and for the love of God, don't use pliers or your leatherman tool for this. :lol:

If I'm wrong, then you should bring the wheel into the LBS and let em have a look. Or if you don't want to mess with truing the wheel, bring it in anyway.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
mergs said:
Jason, you have a loose spoke... I can almost guarantee it. Flip the bike over, start at the valve and gently squeeze each spoke pair a little, they should all be taught... spin tire move to next pair and repeat. You will find one or more are loose and proably ready to fall out ! :D And your wheel is probably out of true.

People don't notice wheels being slightly out of true anymore with the advent of disc brakes (the v brakes required a true wheel, otherwise it'd rub)

anyway, if you want to tighten it with a spoke wrench, go for it... just do so carefully w/o stripping the nipple. and for the love of God, don't use pliers or your leatherman tool for this. :lol:

If I'm wrong, then you should bring the wheel into the LBS and let em have a look. Or if you don't want to mess with truing the wheel, bring it in anyway.

I took a quick check and didn't notice any movement in the spokes. I didn't want to take my tire off because they are tubeless and it's a huge pain in the ass but it looks like I'll be taking a trip over to Marty's one night this week. Probably better to get over there sooner then later if I want my bike for the weekend. ugh

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
jay, unless you're in REAL tight with them, they are giving two week leads on repairs.

oh, and i love discs....i bent my rim so bad at the 'mooch (literally less than a mile in) that i couldn't believe it still rolled. ask yct100...he trued it in for me. damn thing looked like a pizza getting tossed in the air.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
smarencik said:
or have an extra $20 burning a hole in your pocket ;)

OMG two weeks! It's easier for me to just buy a new rear rim and fix this one as a backup or a bargain sale for someone else. ugh.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
that's why i refuse to bring my bike in...which it needs badly b/c my rim is WAY out. i should just buy a book and learn to work on it myself. not to mention with the amount of coin i've dropped in the last two months just getting my bikes ready and tuned, i could have bought top of the line equipment and still had money left over.

Shaggz

A strong 7
jake - next time you go to the mooch, take your wheel over to john at cyclecraft in Byram (call ahead first). from what i hear, he is one of the best wheel guys around.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
good idea...thanks. since i'm only about 20 mintues door to trail (waterloo) from the 'mooch that could work. it may actually be quicker to get there than marty's with all the lights and the u-turn i need to take on rte 10 to get there..

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
thanks scott...i remembered seeing that when i was researching the fat alberts (which finall came in) and added it to my growing list of resources. now, unfortunately, i want to build my own wheels. it never ends.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Gerard and I took a ride over to Marty's today and had them look at my bike. They greased my hubs, gave me a new chain and tightened my spokes. Bike seem 100 x better but there is still a small noise coming from my BB. They said I probably just need to grease it but I'll save that for another day. I also picked up a spoke wrench for my mavic wheels because they have to thick ass spokes!

Finally, I was all over this:
06Langster_Cbn_l.jpg

It's a single speed with a fixed hub. I'm totally in love with this bike. I must have it!! :)

Oh and on our ride back home through the Dickerson Mines we got caught in a crazy downpour! What a mess!

Top Bottom