My path to en"light"enment

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Update

I tried a little running yesterday and today. I can only run for a little bit then I have to walk to catch my breath. I figure if my joints hold up to it then I should be able to increase the running time and decrease the walking time as I go. I am not enjoying it but I'm going to continue as long as it doesn't hurt my riding.

Another thing I've learned, don't do 2 days in a row weight training the same muscle groups by accident. I misread the sheet and wound up so sore over the weekend that I could barely straighten my arms. They're a good bit better today but I'll be staying away from the weights for another day or two.

Anyhow, it's only the beginning so I figure it should get better from here.

try running slower. are you wearing a heart monitor?
if you are running, and having to walk, you are doing interval training. which isn't a bad thing.
it can start out just above a walk, as long as both feet get airborne! (otherwise it is race-walking)

i know, it sounds strange, but it worked - alternating really easy pace runs with interval and tempo runs.
there are some online calculators and strava to help figure out the HR zones.

Nice job getting out there. and it does get better.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
try running slower. are you wearing a heart monitor?
if you are running, and having to walk, you are doing interval training. which isn't a bad thing.
it can start out just above a walk, as long as both feet get airborne! (otherwise it is race-walking)

i know, it sounds strange, but it worked - alternating really easy pace runs with interval and tempo runs.
there are some online calculators and strava to help figure out the HR zones.

Nice job getting out there. and it does get better.
Don't lie to the man!
It doesn't get better... because he is going to end up running either faster or longer or worse... both and it's going to hurt more.

qclabrat

nice job getting out and starting on the weights. Try adding in a day or two just to stretch. Then eventually yoga or Pilates, which make good rest and recovery days.

jklett

Well, things have been going pretty good so far except for tonight. I have been going to the gym, running, riding, and eating healthier. I overdid it last week at the gym a little and was sore for a few days but got back to that once I started feeling better.

I was given the day off yesterday and rode a bit, did some surprise trail building, then rode some more. I think it was a bit too much, I had nothing left for the rest of the day(even though I still forced myself to do my houshold chores) and was wiped out today.

I took it easy today, only real work I did was pulling the downstairs air conditioners and bringing them to the cellar. When we were at the goodwill store looking for jeans for work, I found a mini crock pot for $2. Friggin melted cheese and soft pretzel nuggets are like crack. I hope that I didn't screw up all of the work from the last week, I ate way too much of it and don't feel good now. Apparently my impulse control is non existent when it comes to savory snacks. I guess I'm going to have to ride a little harder tomorrow.

Anyways, that's my update so far. I'll weigh myself at work Monday morning since that's the scale I've been using all along.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I'm am the human garbage disposal.
Whatever my wife and kid don't finish... it goes down my throat. Don't like to throw away food so food is my weakness as well.

qclabrat

Well, things have been going pretty good so far except for tonight. I have been going to the gym, running, riding, and eating healthier. I overdid it last week at the gym a little and was sore for a few days but got back to that once I started feeling better.

I was given the day off yesterday and rode a bit, did some surprise trail building, then rode some more. I think it was a bit too much, I had nothing left for the rest of the day(even though I still forced myself to do my houshold chores) and was wiped out today.

I took it easy today, only real work I did was pulling the downstairs air conditioners and bringing them to the cellar. When we were at the goodwill store looking for jeans for work, I found a mini crock pot for $2. Friggin melted cheese and soft pretzel nuggets are like crack. I hope that I didn't screw up all of the work from the last week, I ate way too much of it and don't feel good now. Apparently my impulse control is non existent when it comes to savory snacks. I guess I'm going to have to ride a little harder tomorrow.

Anyways, that's my update so far. I'll weigh myself at work Monday morning since that's the scale I've been using all along.
Okay, J's vices: ice cream, cheese n' pretz

qclabrat

Weighed myself at work this morning, 208. I know that it's just the start and there will be setbacks but as long as I don't push myself too hard until I can handle it I think that this will work.
Thats awesome, you were 215 just a week or so ago. Make small targets and keep your weight there even if it fluctuates a bit. I'm betting you'll be sub 200 by the time our run challenge is over. Btw, I'm going out in a bit, planning not to be in the cellar soon.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Weighed myself at work this morning, 208. I know that it's just the start and there will be setbacks but as long as I don't push myself too hard until I can handle it I think that this will work.

correct attitude, got to build slowly to avoid injury. i thought my coach was nuts telling me to slow down. ended up working, w/o injury.
what is the goal for next summer?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I must be a party pooper... sorry but...
When I first started running, first month I dropped weight real fast. After that, it pretty much stabilized and dropping a lb was tough. I had to increase either distance or intensity and still, the rate of weight loss was slow. Your body adjusts and since muscles are replacing fat and your body starts to store more water... doesn't help much for weight loss. But you will get lean and healthy so I wouldn't place all emphasis on weight reduction. Use your waistline as an indicator instead.

jklett

I know someone who is the same height and weight as I am and he looks twice my size so I know that the numbers don't mean anything but it does give me something to track. My real goal is to get to the point where I can ride with most of the folks here and actually keep up instead of holding them up. I am having fun now but it'll be more fun if I'm not tanked out halfway through the ride. I have a long road ahead of me but at least I'm on it.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
In the spirit of arangov3's thread(this is the end), this is going to be a chronicle of my journey from a seriously out of shape lump to a normal sized person. I don't have a hard target I'm shooting for, the real goal of this is to give me some accountability for my actions (or inactions, whatever it may be). I'll post updates on my progress here.

A little about me to start. I was pretty active when I was young. I didn't do much in the way of organized sports but I skateboarded and rode freestyle BMX. When I was 16 I was put on a medication that caused me to gain almost 100 pounds in a few months time. Needless to say that put a stop to any significant activity. I also started smoking around the same time and got involved in other very self destructive behavior. I cleaned up the other stuff by the time I was 20 but continued to smoke and eat poorly. That's pretty much where I stayed for years.

Fast forward to April of 2017 at 44 years old. I'm married with 3 daughters and decided to finally quit smoking and try to get more active. I started hiking and kayaking (that actually started a few years earlier) and joined a gym. My starting weight was 240(mind you, I'm only 5'6" tall) and I dropped down to 195. I admit that the biggest part of the weight loss was due to a bet. Unfortunately once the bet was done I fell back a bit and gained back to 215.

Christmas of last year my wife surprised me by getting me my first mountain bike. Obviously I was immediately hooked. I also quickly realized that I'm not in good enough shape to thoroughly enjoy it. The first few times I went out, I would be completely tanked and have barely rode a mile. I've since gotten better but I'm far from where I want to be. Riding as much as I can with my friend and the new friends I've made here has helped dramatically but I realize that I have to do more or I'm not going to get better.

So here we are back to the present moment. I'm going to do my best to improve myself. Hopefully by putting it up here it will give me the motivation to push through any wobbles in my journey. I will get back to a regular exercise routine and a healthier diet and of course ride my bike as often as I can.

Thanks for listening and by all means, give me hell if I stray too far from the path.

BTW, my weight as of this morning is 210.
I’m so focused on the OOS thread have been ignoring the blogs. Keep it up. Your mountain biking fitness is continuing to improve. Plus it’s a fun type of exercise. If someone has fun they generally will stick with it.

Top Bottom