MTBNJ's birdbox DH challenge thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kalmyk

Did you make an add and subtract list- what you is going away from your life and what you are adding?

Meditation>overeating

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
i have the fitbit scale, and i stand on it almost every morning (not good for most people) the fitbit scale takes your weight and bf% (Bioimpedence measurement) and uploads it to you account (its wifi connected). Then fitbit lets you see trends over varying time periods ect ect and more data is good in that respect, but if you are the type of person who wants to see and react to results test by test (weigh in by weigh in) then weighing everyday is too much, more like weekly. There are too many factors that affect your daily weight number (and body fat #) including hydration level, how long since you last drank, how much youv eaten, WHAT youv eaten what your activity level is ect ect (no this is not an all inclusive list, nor am i doctor to share the effects of each item, just observations that i have made watching my own trends).

I deal with a lot of data at work since I provide data analysis, for some strange reason I don't understand. In this case I'm only tracking limited numbers calories and weight. Tracking other metrics won't help at this time because I don't understand them. Once I start reaching goals and wanting more specific changes I'll start digging into what stats I need to change.

Knowing every detail under the sun is just going to overwhelm me. Once I have my calories under control I plan on seeing how much protein, fat and ect I want and don't want.

I hope to run today or tomorrow since I haven't had the time yet, I went to bed last night at 945 and got up at 6 I feel pretty well rested, I just need to make this a habit.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I deal with a lot of data at work since I provide data analysis, for some strange reason I don't understand. In this case I'm only tracking limited numbers calories and weight. Tracking other metrics won't help at this time because I don't understand them. Once I start reaching goals and wanting more specific changes I'll start digging into what stats I need to change.

Knowing every detail under the sun is just going to overwhelm me. Once I have my calories under control I plan on seeing how much protein, fat and ect I want and don't want.

I hope to run today or tomorrow since I haven't had the time yet, I went to bed last night at 945 and got up at 6 I feel pretty well rested, I just need to make this a habit.
Just a little tidbit on counting calories. Calories are a man made measurement, your body has no idea what a calorie is, it only knows nutrition and what to do what it. The problem with counting calories is that some think a calorie is a calorie, meaning 100 calories of cake is the same as 100 calories of broccoli. Your body is not one big dumping ground where all the calories go into the same compartment when ingested. Your body uses the nutrients for building muscle, energy, storage, etc etc.
Eat healthy and stop when you are satisfied, even full. The best part about healthy foods is that they have that satiety factor, telling your brain that you're full when you are actually full. Processed foods and sweets have this stripped out of them, allowing you to keep stuffing yourself with unhealthy and empty calories.
A lot of the battle is making better choices. Yes, it sometimes sucks and can get boring. Anyway, just wanted to throw that in there because counting calories can get very tedious.

rick81721

Lothar
Just got caught up on this. Maybe I missed it but did you say how much riding/running you are doing right now? Number of times/week and duration. I was never heavy so have no advice there but have lost ~ 10% of my body weight over the last few years with only doing one thing - riding more. Whatever you are doing now I'd try to double it time wise - knowing it's harder to put in time with work and kids but from there, start to up the intensity. A heartrate monitor might be useful for that.

In any event, good luck. Maybe I'll see you at one of these OOS rides (you weren't at the sourlands, right?)

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Just a little tidbit on counting calories. Calories are a man made measurement, your body has no idea what a calorie is, it only knows nutrition and what to do what it. The problem with counting calories is that some think a calorie is a calorie, meaning 100 calories of cake is the same as 100 calories of broccoli. Your body is not one big dumping ground where all the calories go into the same compartment when ingested. Your body uses the nutrients for building muscle, energy, storage, etc etc.
Eat healthy and stop when you are satisfied, even full. The best part about healthy foods is that they have that satiety factor, telling your brain that you're full when you are actually full. Processed foods and sweets have this stripped out of them, allowing you to keep stuffing yourself with unhealthy and empty calories.
A lot of the battle is making better choices. Yes, it sometimes sucks and can get boring. Anyway, just wanted to throw that in there because counting calories can get very tedious.

This is helpful I haven't eaten like shit yet so this is another reason, sucks I can replace that 200 calories of carrots later with ice cream lol

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Just got caught up on this. Maybe I missed it but did you say how much riding/running you are doing right now? Number of times/week and duration. I was never heavy so have no advice there but have lost ~ 10% of my body weight over the last few years with only doing one thing - riding more. Whatever you are doing now I'd try to double it time wise - knowing it's harder to put in time with work and kids but from there, start to up the intensity. A heartrate monitor might be useful for that.

In any event, good luck. Maybe I'll see you at one of these OOS rides (you weren't at the sourlands, right?)

Sadly I missed sour, I have been off the bike a little more then I want to this week. Haven't been feeling when for a few weeks and I attribute that to my life style as of late. But I might have lyme getting checked out to rule it out. Once once I'm a little more organized I'm doing 3 rides or runs a week and upping it from there with exercise on days off.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I don't know who is running faster away from church my wife or I? Lol I guess Club Christ isnt for us. Her best friend is moving to Sparta from Arizona so that will be a great help in the me time department.
But its not about you or your wife. Its for your son!
You want your son to be in a positive environment where he can grow and flourish as a moral human being.

Just make sure you don't get dragged into it. That's the difficult part!

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
But its not about you or your wife. Its for your son!
You want your son to be in a positive environment where he can grow and flourish as a moral human being.

Just make sure you don't get dragged into it. That's the difficult part!

Who need morals when you have Facebook and Twitter?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
my thought would be

weight, calories, and exercise minutes - check it daily, maybe graph it weekly?

then dw/dt = f(c, em)
get out your spline generator, and away you go....

jklett

I had a bet with my boss last year, we both had to try to lose 20# in 90 days. I won by using an app to track the calories for everything I ate. The interesting thing is that some of the apps will track stuff like protein, carbs, fat, and various micronutrients. I think that stuff is more important than just calories, I do eat much better than I did since tracking all of that. I still have a long way to go before I'm in decent shape but it helped me understand what I was doing to myself by eating all the garbage I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom