MTB Oregon or bust

When we were considering our big mtb trip Bend was 2nd on our list. BC beat it out because, well, it was BC. But I definitely want to get back out there.

So in a fit of inspiration, Mark and I are thinking of planning a trip to Bend as well. We know we want to leave the area once the kids are all off to college and we want to start visiting potential places. This summer, August (hoping that is OK weather too). I sent a pm to Ruth (rocknrollgirl) for her condo info. Fogerson - any other recommendations? Best way to get there?

So in a fit of inspiration, Mark and I are thinking of planning a trip to Bend as well. We know we want to leave the area once the kids are all off to college and we want to start visiting potential places. This summer, August (hoping that is OK weather too). I sent a pm to Ruth (rocknrollgirl) for her condo info. Fogerson - any other recommendations? Best way to get there?

All the cool places I know of are captured in the list I posted previously.

If you wanted to get to close to Bend as possible on a plane, you'd want to fly into Redmond, OR. You'd probably connect through Seattle, Portland, or San Francisco.

If you wanted a nice drive and a couple of neat riding places before getting to Bend, fly into Portland and drive to Bend over Hwy 26. It will take you right past Sandy Ridge and set you up for several other excursion good places like Surveyors Ridge (which I think Julian mentioned earlier) -- a bit out the way still, but a nice drive through the sticks.

When I lived in NJ, I usually flew one of the few United direct flights to Portland out of Newark--in the summer I'd drive to Bend (would see a few friends in Portland then take a nice morning drive through the mountains) and in the winter I'd connect to Redmond.

Last edited:
I rode the Mackenzie River Trail for the first time just a few days ago, and it is amazing! ...giant trees, lava rock, 100 foot gushing water falls, clear blue lakes, crystal blue pools and swooping trails.

I will be in Bend next week. Any new advice or suggestions? Need to rent 1 bike and find a decent place to stay.

I will be in Bend next week. Any new advice or suggestions? Need to rent 1 bike and find a decent place to stay.

Funny thing...since I've moved back to Oregon I've barely done any mountain biking. I live in Portland and ya' gotta drive a bit to anything decent...so I live on road/gravel bikes. 'Have ridden in Bend a few times, but not on the MTB. Sad, I know.

As far as bike rentals, I think most of the larger shops have a variety. Hutch's, Sunnyside sports, and Pine Mountain sports have been around forever (that latter purports to have the largest rental fleet).

As far as riding, there is the whole phil's complex and some nice trips (I hear) if you hop a Cog Wild shuttle up near Mt. Bachelor. There is also the McKenzie river shuttle as well.

Sorry, I am a Bend native. I haven't ridden a mtb there in over 20 years. I'm kinda useless beyond what I've scribbled above...

All else fails, swing a dead cat around when you get there and you'll find a hardcore that can point you to all the right places :)

As far as hotels, there is everything you can imagine as it is a resort town. I'd suggest looking at reviews for places that are in your price range and go from there; since Mom still lives there I've only stayed in a hotel once -- The Inn @ the Seventh Mountain. The room wasn't much nicer than a motel 6...but cost 3 times as much so that was awesome ;)

Thanks so much. I'm in Portland right now. I'm at St Johns Beer Porch. Pretty cool place, just like Portland.

My daughter and I booked an AirBNB in Bend and I'm renting from Pine Mt. They have a great selection and will do 1/2 day!

Next day, we're taking the McKenzie shuttle. Then the hot springs and camping.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Pine Mountian Sports will point you in the right direction.
Great info here too: http://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8009867/bend

10 years Phil's was paradise but there are so many great new trials in Bend that make Phil's seems pretty pedestrian in comparison. Funner-tiddlywinks & Tylers would make a great half-day.

My sister just moved to Bend and we are going to visit for two weeks in August. Some riding is definitely on the agenda.

I used Pine Mt Sports and they were great. We didn't have enough time to spend in Bend, so another trip next year is in order.

We rode from Tumalo Falls to Phils Trailhead today. It was good riding all the way. Did whoops twice. Got my nephew out for his first MTB ride, and he is the one who lives in Bend. He has no idea how good his first MTB ride really was.

image.jpeg

image.png
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Woody,
Skip everything else and go to Bend. Chris and I spent three weeks there in the summer of 2012. We rented a condo in Mt Bachelor Village and could ride to the trailhead of Phil's trails where we connected to almost 100 miles, yes that is what I said 100 miles of singletrack. We did a 45 mile ride and never repeated trails. It was THE best riding we have ever done.

We rented from Web Cycles in Bend. Top of the line equipment, great guys.

If you are taking your family there is a ton of stuff for them to do also. Great outdoor activities, hiking, rafting, tubing etc. Shopping if you have a shopper. 12 microbreweries in town.

OMG awesome. I would go back in a second.

We went the end of June and the first two weeks of July. It is high desert so no humidity, great weather.

Depending on the size of your group I can give you the info of the condo we rented. Just lmk.

Ruth

If you have any questions, just pm me.

@jdgang @JohneeOxford

I did the Highcascades 100 last year. 104 miles of single track! Hard pack sandy trails or porous volcanic rock. Nothing like NJ. Not necessarily technical but fast and flowy. They even end the race with a flow trail (NJ is too litigious to have trails like that). I highly recommend Bend! Not only is the riding unique and awesome, the town itself it's pretty sweet. If you want to get your DH on, you have that option as well. Weather is pretty much good from June to September.

Back
Top Bottom