Moving to North NJ, Looking for Suggestions on Where

rxpxskier

We rent in summit, wife takes the train to Hoboken and then on the path to her job in lower Manhattan, shes got 75 mins station to office. As someone looking to buy a home too (Colorado isnt really an option at this point) we were going to look just over the border in NY. Train still goes to hoboken granted it takes a little longer. Anyone do this? Also looking in Denville area.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I should say, that we have been looking at Metuchen recently. I see its about 20 minutes from Chimney Rock and 6 Mile. That should keep things interesting as both are polar opposite trail types.
I live in Piscataway just West of there. It's a good spot that's centrally located. Chimney Rock and 6-Mile can be gotten to via the D&R Canal by bike and it has the most miles of bike lanes in the state.

2WHLZ

When my wife and I moved out to NJ we decided that we needed to be near the train for our NYC commute. The trains have issues from time to time but I don't have to transfer and our town Jitneys make it easy to get to and from the train station.

This map is old but I think it's still a good starting point for understanding the travel times that you can generally expect.

As for us we ended up in Maplewood. We like the town and it the train generally takes 30-45 minutes. There are a bunch of parks to ride, Chimney Rock and Lewis Morris are the closest but they are all at least a 25-30 minute drive.

I also like this Trail Forks map to get a good overview of where the trails are.

mustclime

It also depends on your budget. There is a nice 700k house in Closter right next to the alpine Boy Scout camp..... there are about 15 - 20 miles of trails in there if you connect up with the Rockly trails.

qclabrat

ended up buying in Metuchen. will look at the rides forums to see if there are any group rides going on
Welcome to NJ, the state of high taxes, a fat governor and lots of rocks
Glad you were able to find a compromise

MTBpat

Welcome to NJ, the state of high taxes, a fat governor and lots of rocks
Glad you were able to find a compromise

haha thanks. taxes arent as bad as NY, so I'll take it. Hitting up Chimney Rock for the first time tonight. Have been avoiding due to rain / traffic. Should probably learn it before it starts getting dark at 5 pm and lights are thus mandatory..

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
haha thanks. taxes arent as bad as NY, so I'll take it. Hitting up Chimney Rock for the first time tonight. Have been avoiding due to rain / traffic. Should probably learn it before it starts getting dark at 5 pm and lights are thus mandatory..

Welcome to the hood. Be forewarned on the taxes. Metuchen will reassess the property after the sale. They may take more than a year to update your taxes, but it will be due from the date of closing. My broker warned us of this when we moved in. Our initial taxes were $2800 jumped to $6300 by the time they got to us the following year. Of course this was years ago and it's more than doubled since then.

MTBpat

Congrats on the place. Keep an eye on the Fun Monday CR rides

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/funmondays-chimney-rock.36341/

will do. rode it last night. although "rocky", it's nothing like the rocks up at Blue Mountain. Everything can be cleaned pretty easily. Just did Blue and Red trails a couple times, though. didnt feel like venturing over to the other side of the park. will join on a monday night once my work travel slows down.

Reactions: rlb

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome to NJ.

If you want to meet some other riders you should join the Mtbnj group ride at CR sat Oct 21th.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeth.
IMG_8111.JPG

Oh your poor wife, crammed inside a steel box hurling towards that blustering sewer while you pedal around with the sun on your back and the chirping birds in your ears.

MTBpat

Welcome to the hood. Be forewarned on the taxes. Metuchen will reassess the property after the sale. They may take more than a year to update your taxes, but it will be due from the date of closing. My broker warned us of this when we moved in. Our initial taxes were $2800 jumped to $6300 by the time they got to us the following year. Of course this was years ago and it's more than doubled since then.

sure enough.....

just got a notice last week for an added assessment for "renovations". one problem though....nothing has been renovated in over 10 years. we are in the process of appealing. went up $1800 and they somehow are trying to prorate us for 12 months based on "date of completion", when we were not even in the home.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
sure enough.....

just got a notice last week for an added assessment for "renovations". one problem though....nothing has been renovated in over 10 years. we are in the process of appealing. went up $1800 and they somehow are trying to prorate us for 12 months based on "date of completion", when we were not even in the home.

Welcome to NJ. They're gonna get your $$$ one way or another.:gangster:

Top Bottom