Moving to North NJ, Looking for Suggestions on Where

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hoboken! or Jersey City. Easily under 45 minutes to midtown and close to Newark for your travel but no access to trails whatsoever. It's a trade off that you unfortunately have to make living in metro NYC.

Anything west of the Hackensack river is a guaranteed over an hour commute to NYC. The only outliers may be Rutherford or Lyndhurst but they have train transfers.

priorities seem out of order!!!
:D

MTBpat

What time of day do you usually ride? I work in Metro Park (right next to Metuchen) and I live close to Chimney Rock. In the late afternoon it's 25 mins to CR on a good day (if 287 is cooperating). In the morning it's going to be a bit worse, as 287 North is getting pretty backed up in the Metuchen area by the time I'm passing by (~7am). I'm not sure what the ride to 6 mile would be, but 20 minutes might be a streatch. Again you'd be at the mercy of traffic, this time on Route 1. Also, if you road ride the choices are shit in this area.

If your wife is open to taking the bus, the Watchung & Scotch Plains area might be worth another look. CR is an easy ride down 22, but again depending on time of day it can be a 25 minute ride as 22 is no fun. As for NYC, the 114x and 117 buses run down Route 22 and drop you at the Port Authority bus terminal. I don't think the ride time is that far off from what your wife is looking for. The 117 runs all the way to Somerville, but the ride obviously gets longer the further out you go.

most likely be riding after 5. could do morning to, but it sounds like traffic will suck in the morning heading west (or north?) on 287.

i threw 6 mile out there as an option (because i've ridden there before). honestly, its not my cup of tea. the trails are pretty easy and that sort of "let's make up for the lack of elevation gain" really does a number on the old saddle soreness.

Trains from Metuchen and MP are direct, 45 minutes, to Penn. I dont think a ferry is going to be a good option,a lthough I didnt know about Allaire and Hartshorne being options.

New Jersey is better than New York. And that's coming from a Philly guy.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Another option in/out that is the most economical and convienant is north Bergen park and ride. It's right next to Lincoln tunnel viaduct. Bus runs every 10 mins and an easy in and out from lot. That commute is pretty easy from most Morris county areas.

MTBpat

^ Maplewood and Milburn would also work.
we were looking in Springfield, Summit, Madison and Maplewood. not a whole lot of options. Maplewood is a little too sketchy for us and we decided to stop looking there. I was on board with Springfield until i learned that the legal trails might not happen. dont want to give my money to Union county if i cant ride my bike in their parks.

She said no to Morristown, too much of a train. That would be my choice because of Lewis-Morris.

MTBpat

@soundz help this man out oh zillow master.

Nj has no
Blue and Sprain, enough said.
blasphemy, i know. i'm honestly not a fan of either. i think the way that the trails are cut in and around the rocks and the use of terrain is just bad. A lot of up and down with no real flow. This is what I miss about the Wiss. It has techy features, mixed in with really good flow.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
little longer commute - but stirling/gillette/berkeley heights. summit line, use uber when missing correct train.

fun monday at CR, wed at LM. not far to 6MR, tourne, sourlands, rv. little farther to water co, nassau,. good road riding out of high gear and liberty cycle. maybe hilltop, but those always seem like hammer rides ;)

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
15min bike ride to High Mountain
20min drive? to Ramapo
30min drive to Ringwood
30min drive to Jungle

1hr bus ride to Port Authority

RickVaughn

What this guy said ^^ what about Bergen County like Ridgewood, Waldwick, Ho-Ho-Kus? Hawthorne will be a little cheaper and still on a main nj transit line straight to NYPenn/Hoboken.

I'm from Wyckoff and it's 10 minutes from High Mountain, Ringwood is close by, Tourne is about 30 and LM is probably in the 40-45 range.

Most importantly it'll keep the lady happy. Anything along the Bergen/Main line is super easy with Ridgewood to NYPenn in the 50-60 minute range. Hawthorne probably cuts about 10 minutes off that

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Right near High Mountain was my first thought as well, but if Blue Mountain doesn't have enough flow, he's not gonna like High Mountain.

Reactions: roc

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Right near High Mountain was my first thought as well, but if Blue Mountain doesn't have enough flow, he's not gonna like High Mountain.
Damn... I guess my scheme to raise my property value is not going to work.... this time.

dr-evil-001.jpg

qclabrat

most likely be riding after 5. could do morning to, but it sounds like traffic will suck in the morning heading west (or north?) on 287.

i threw 6 mile out there as an option (because i've ridden there before). honestly, its not my cup of tea. the trails are pretty easy and that sort of "let's make up for the lack of elevation gain" really does a number on the old saddle soreness.

Trains from Metuchen and MP are direct, 45 minutes, to Penn. I dont think a ferry is going to be a good option,a lthough I didnt know about Allaire and Hartshorne being options.

New Jersey is better than New York. And that's coming from a Philly guy.
I lived in North Edison for about ten years and for about 3 years commuted 2 days a week into the UN area. I tried the Metropark station a few times but the garage is a zoo and took 10-20 mins to get out. I got my boss to pay for a parking garage and drove in most of the time, but on those odd days when I took the train I took it at the Fanwood station instead.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@mattybfat for the love of god, NO. No bus. Port Authority is an absolute shithole. Penn is a dump, but the PA is horrible.
@MTBpat avoid the bus to the Port Authority at all costs, unless you want a divorce. In which case, you'll have more time to ride, which of course will allow you to move to Colorado. So, wait. Port Authority may not be a bad option after all.

I'be lived in Madison for about 14 years now and take the train erry day to Penn. It ain't bad. Great little town. Close to Lewis Morris, Tourne, Allamuchy is 35-40 minutes. Great shop in town, Hilltop. Lots of roads to ride heading west. Chatham also.

Good luck with search.

thegock

45 minute commute to NYPenn ? just the train segment?
the raritan valley line requires a transfer at newark penn during rush hour - depending where you are going,
a transfer to the PATH might work - but you said midtown

summit is 51 minutes into NYP - and you'd need to drive to ride the bike
westfield about the same
metropark is about the same (unless you get the amtrak $$$)

I think Summit is five minutes and worlds of ease closer to NY Penn, because of direct service. Also, Maplewood?

Top Bottom