Mountain Man Biathlon (@ Lewis Morris)

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I felt out of shape, but *way* better time than when I did it 6 or 7 years ago.

It's a fun race although extremely painful.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm really happy with how i did. I'm in no way even close to the fastest people, but i pushed myself and i did something that was super challenging and i survived and did really well for me. And now i have sweatshirt bragging rights. :)

I might even do again next year!

I also took my friend's 5 year old daughter out for a movie and dinner for her birthday after the race. Talk about exhausting! ;)

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, this was fun again and challening as usual! The leaves and roots were a little slippery on the first bike lap, so I dialed it back a bit there. The second lap was much drier. However on the second run, my calves and back cramped so badly that I did about 3/4 mile of the zombie shuffle before things loosened up. No matter what, that second run is always the hardest physical challenge. @fidodie nice to see you there! @MissJR congrats on your personal accomplishment! You should do it again next year, there are so few women! I hope to!

jimf

Thats me bringing up the rear in dead last rocking the hokka's.

I had not run even a little bit leading up to the race and had not planned on doing this because of the lack of training. Two friends shamed me into it because they signed up in August after we talked about how much fun we had when we did this in 2013. I am happy I did and pleased with the approach I took to the race and my time(improved almost 7 mins from my 2013 time). I started slow to avoid injuring myself(past few years I have had a number of running related injuries, planer, achilles and calf issues) and slowly picked up the pace and had a nice time on the first run. A "nice time" is relative, I am pretty sure I was last after that run and I was slow to get on the bike. Bike ride I was better on and I passed few people but mostly rode alone which took a little of the fun out of it. This was partly due to how slow I am and partly due to the low turnout. Second run was slower and my knee started hurting a bit but I finished up without too much trouble. I am pretty sure I rode for a little bit with @MissJR but i could be wrong, she blew by me on the second run and so did everyone else I managed to pass on the bike.

I thought about the low turnout for quite a bit after the race and cannot figure out why it was so poor. Is the price point wrong for this type of event? I did not think so, they have chip timing and allow for the option of not buying the sweatshirt that brought the price down to 55 bucks. The rain could have been a factor, not sure how many people sign up day of this type of event. I would think that number would be small but I have no idea. It really is a good event, ideal for a first timer and has enough fast people to make it enjoyable for people looking to actually race. I will be doing it again next year, hopefully I can improve on my time again.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm completely sure the low turnout is based entirely on lack of promotion. Local running & biking stores knew nothing about it. If it wasn't for Joy & Pat and this thread nobody on MTBNJ would probably know.

There's a lot of opportunity with an event like this but they're just not putting in the effort to promote it. It's a well run race, a few more people have got to help with splitting up costs of things like chip timing, food, event permit, etc.

Thin Diesel

I thought about the low turnout for quite a bit after the race and cannot figure out why it was so poor. Is the price point wrong for this type of event? I did not think so, they have chip timing and allow for the option of not buying the sweatshirt that brought the price down to 55 bucks.

Every time I checked the only pay option was $75 which was too much IMHO. I would've done this event for 55/65. I've had a blast the past times I've participated. The 2nd run is a killer tho.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It was $55 when I registered. No sweatshirt. I have two, I really don't need a third. If I stuck around I would have gotten a giveaway but I ran out of there to get to Marty Cross.

They had soda/beer/snacks afterwards.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am pretty sure I rode for a little bit with @MissJR but i could be wrong, she blew by me on the second run...

possibly... i think you followed my line down the "roller coaster" hill at the end of the first bike lap? i told you that was my favorite hill :D

I'm completely sure the low turnout is based entirely on lack of promotion.

yeah... if it weren't for the fact i already knew about it because @Santapez has done it in the past, i never would have known. they need to at least promote it with some flyers or something over at marty's and halter's and places like the running company... i also found out about the girls guts glory duathlon because of a flyer over at a coffee shop. it doesn't take much really.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Maybe we can help Chris out a bit next year..not sure if he has a target size for the event.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree - low awareness but also many people are in full-on Cross mode at this time. I tried to recruit some people but they either became injured (@sarcaro) or the money was an issue. Too bad because this is a fun event that is an incredible physical challenge!

xc62701

I've always wanted to do this race but honestly the price keeps me away. I'd better be racing for 4+ hours for that fee. I stopped by that day to see my teammates finished and they said they had a blast though.

ryderX

Registration is open for the 2016 Mountain Man Biathlon. There area few pricing options this year. It's always a blast and they have kegs if free beer. That's a win in my book. I'll be defending my title in the old guy class this year. Hope to see some of you folks out there.
https://raceforum.com/mountain-man-biathlon

Top Bottom