Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
35 years! Awesome, happy anniversary!....So 1982...where did you and Art go on your Honeymoon? I feel like you told me a story about this once...something about Art taking you skiing and then leaving you as he skied off a cliff...something like that..
Yes, It was lake Tahoe, and he did ski right past a "danger cliff area" sign and disappear over the edge before I even got a word in. I guess we are both in a different place these days. All good.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
My teammates left this morning and on the way home from the airport, we picked up the tile and supplies for our bathroom remodel. It's 3pm. I am too tired to ride a bike today and starting demolition now would be kind of late for retired people, so we will start tomorrow.

Last weeks riding was awesome. It was great to spend a week riding with some of my regular crew from back east. I was able to get to the Ridgeline Tr in the Torts with Marianne. That was awesome and my first time this year. I have not had the energy to get up there and it is a major ride to make the connection to that trail. We also rode Starr Pass which was great since all the new trails have gone in over there. Art and I have done a bunch of trail build days at Starr, but not had a chance to ride there. The new trails really improve the whole system making it a top notch riding spot. Our week was filled in with local trail riding, Sweetwater and Gold Canyon. All fun places to ride.

So, after 7 days straight on a bike, I am pretty wiped out. I am pleased with how my energy held up for 7 days and 15 hours, especially since one ride was close to 4 hours ride time. I plan to take a few days off the bike.

IMG_1623 (1).jpg
IMG_1632.jpg

Last edited:

qclabrat

So yesterday was a busy day at 6020. Our stucco guy came back and finished all the stucco around the windows that were re-installed after Art's repaired framing. They also stuccoed around the new door in our bike room. The old door was rotten and was getting difficult to stay shut because it was so rotten. So I think we are ahead of where we were 3 weeks ago. Yay!

Also our custom gate arrived and was installed. Our 1 acre property was pretty much closed in by neighbors bobbed wire. However, the cattle seemed to walk up our driveway now and then and enter our yard. Besides eating cholla, they liked seeking the greenest stuff on the hillside and eroding them. ... and of course they would leave us nice big piles. So now, we have a gate, and we went all the way with a custom design, solar operated gate with a manual man/bike gate on the side. It looks awesome and our neighbor approves, which is good because it is on his property. We just have access on the power easement.

Monday was our 35th wedding anniversary which I suppose is a milestone. I actually forgot and Art reminded me in the morning. 35 years and this was the first time that I forgot. I guess I have been distracted. We went for a ride together. It was nice. The weather has been ideal. We also went out to dinner. I drank a lot of wine! ... Life is good.

View attachment 48095 View attachment 48096 View attachment 48097 View attachment 48098 View attachment 48099
Existing bathroom soon to be gutted.
View attachment 48100
We actually have a door for our bathroom now.
View attachment 48101
My christmas cactus is blooming for the 3rd time. I think it likes Arizona.
View attachment 48102
The famous girls ride that had over 50 women. The leader was ticketed by the county for not taking a permit.
View attachment 48103

just caught this blog, and it's great
love the pictures and progress of your home
how often do you live out west? I assume you come back during the brutally hot summers

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
@qclabrat Yes, we come back east in May and usually stay until Nov. This year we were delayed with Art getting hurt and will head back for a wedding in late April. We try to keep things flexible and take advantage of the best of the weather in both places.

@Juggernaut The yard part has been a great process. I went out thinking I did not want to plant anything that needed to be watered, but my friend talked me into taking babies and cuttings from his place. I ended up having to water and probably will put in a drip line for summer, but the result has been amazing. Those purple flowers were a 3 inch plant last year. Right now everything is blooming.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
I think I'm going to rides the cdo trail down my lemmon tomorrow at noon ish. Want to come @pixychick ?
My flight got delayed so I'm in Arizona extra and have a shuttle pilot :)
Open to other suggestions but my wife is with me and doesn't ride bikes.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I think it may still be snowbound up top, not sure. I am actually sick and not going to do a big ride today. If you end up riding 50 yr trail area, give me a shout. I could be convinced to do a short ride.

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
So here is a shot from todays ride. Just a local ride from the house, while the plumber is working on switching all the pipes and drains. Hopefully in the next few days we will be able to start putting walls and ceilings back, and then tile the floor. We have a tentative install date foe next Friday for the countertop. So, walls, floor and vanity need to happen first. So far no surprises.

Tires: Arizona eats tires. I came out with a well used pair of tires. I needed to change the rear right away and already I need both new tires. This time I got Maxis Forecaster with bigger knobs. Side walls are big help out here with all the loose surfaces, twisty turns and washes. The new tires are not as supple but hook up great. I will probably go back to Schwalbe when I get back east, ... or maybe not.

IMG_1670.jpg

gtluke

The Moped
So here is a shot from todays ride. Just a local ride from the house, while the plumber is working on switching all the pipes and drains. Hopefully in the next few days we will be able to start putting walls and ceilings back, and then tile the floor. We have a tentative install date foe next Friday for the countertop. So, walls, floor and vanity need to happen first. So far no surprises.

Tires: Arizona eats tires. I came out with a well used pair of tires. I needed to change the rear right away and already I need both new tires. This time I got Maxis Forecaster with bigger knobs. Side walls are big help out here with all the loose surfaces, twisty turns and washes. The new tires are not as supple but hook up great. I will probably go back to Schwalbe when I get back east, ... or maybe not.

View attachment 49491

Tell me about it. I threw it out when I packed my bike up.
i-cqKFHh9-X2.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Yes, it is hard to believe how many cactus spines are in a tire after just a week. My tires pin seep in a complete circle around each tire. The plants out here are not to be messed with. I was in the shower yesterday and noticed my leg felt real stubly. I thought to myself: I just shaved yesterday. How did my hair grow so fast and become so rough? It ended up I had a cactus needles in my shin and did not notice. Now they were in my hand and I was spreading them all over my body in the shower. Luckily I caught it before I spread to to far. I was able to get them out. ... yes, I am idiot too!

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
On Saturday I was taking some pictures of local wild flowers on the trail and heard grass rustling behind me. I turned around and saw a rattlesnake passing maybe 8 ft behind me. It has been quite warm ( close to 90 ) so reptiles have started to come back out. I actually have not been riding too much because of the heat and having a bunch of house projects pressing.

As for our bath project: Plumber finished his rough in so Art started to close back up up with board, wire and stucco. Stucco on the ceiling is pretty messy. I won't even attempt it as there are not enough swear words available for me to use to get through something like that. Art did that all himself and wore much of it. I was pretty amazed that he could do work over his head with his neck. Not much stopping him these days. Tile floor went in today.

Temps are supposed to break in a few days, so I plan to go back to riding regularly. I actually feel more tired and sore when I do not ride. Luckily I have special sauce oil ( without THC ) for my aches and pains. Still trying to stay drug free as I age.

IMG_1677 (1).jpg
IMG_1678 (1).jpg
IMG_1676.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1686.jpg
IMG_1693.jpg

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Yesterday we passed a benchmark: we got a sink and toilet working in the new bath. It may not sound like much, but in terms of bath remodels, it seems wonderful! We moved back into our bedroom and I feel like I am somewhat out of a full construction site for now. We are still waiting on shower tile and a window, but feel like back to normal.

I have not done a ton of riding, because of work around the house, but I plan to ride the next few days. Check out our bougainvillea at our front gate. It is doing awesome!

Also some before and after pictures of the bath.

bougainvalia.jpg
IMG_1567.jpg
IMG_1754.jpg
IMG_1751.jpg

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Finally got some paint on the walls in the bath and bike room. I matched a bike wall to my I9 wheels. It is always nice to get to the more final touches because you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have a riding guest coming tomorrow, so I will get a a nice break from work.

It has been work, work , work and not much riding these days. My neck has also been real bad. Why ride in pain when I can just work and get something done. However, this neck thing has been going on for a year now, and it is time to make changes and move ahead. I have taken drastic steps to change my cockpit on all my bikes. I have been trying a bunch of different stems and have had to order some more in search of a more upright position. Plus a few different bar options. I am also adding some new stretches to my daily routine to try and get my neck less stiff. I found a great massage therapist, who is a cyclist that has been helpful with suggestions. As soon as I get home, I will take it up with my doctor again. She was very passive about it last year.

As you can see from my last post, we finally got started on a drip line for the plants and fruit trees. Last year our neighbors had to come over every day to water, which is a real pain for them. I am thankful that they kept everything alive. Well, the goffer ate a few plants but there is not much we can do about that unless we go to plastic explosives like Carl did in "Caddyshack" :D.

It was real sad to hear about Steve Tilford getting killed. He had always been a hero in the history of pro mountain biking. Doing things like sticking up his own cuts, he always impressed me. We discussed lines together in the "Flinstones" section of Bromont one year at master worlds. Super nice guy, and way too young to leave.

IMG_1804.jpg
IMG_1803.jpg
IMG_1801.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Sad to say, but I am down to less than 2 weeks left out here. How did the winter fly by so fast? Temps have been perfect, but things could start to warm up into the 90's very soon. I have been really enjoying the comfortable nights, eating dinner outside and sleeping with the windows open. April is awesome because of all the flowers and cactus blooming. It still amazes me how green things get in the desert when it has not rained a drop in over 4 weeks.

This past week, I rode 7 days in a row with my teammate visiting. I was able to get a ride in at Gold Canyon, Starr Pass and Ridgeline Trail. This was my only ride this year on Ridgeline where I completed the whole loop with Wild Burro. It was a push to finish, but well worth the effort. Ridgeline may be my favorite trail out here as far as scenery and trail design. I wish it was not as hard to get to, but I suppose that makes it even more special.

Today I am resting and Art is trying to tile our shower before we head back east. His "PT" or working on the house has been going great. Yesterdays ride was a milestone for him at 4 hours in the saddle to complete the Ridgeline loop from Honeybee Canyon.

IMG_1769 (1).jpg
IMG_1807.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg
IMG_1819.jpg
IMG_1821.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
April is awesome because of all the flowers and cactus blooming. It still amazes me how green things get in the desert when it has not rained a drop in over 4 weeks.
This reminds me of the lyrics from Big Country..."I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert".
It is truly remarkable how nature adapts to its surroundings.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
There is a family starting a vineyard down the street. They invited the whole neighborhood to a sunrise blessing today, Earth Day. A local native chief blessed the vines. Normally us retired folk are early to bed and early to rise, but last night we went into town with friends to hear Gabriel Ayala Quartet. Gabriel is a fantastic jazz guitar player of native american heritage. The music was awesome! Jazz fused with flamenco, gypsy and Bossa nova styles. They played at my favorite venue: Monterey Court, which is an old court yard motel turned into galleries with an outdoor stage in the court yard. Best night out of music in Tucson yet.

We have a family of three orioles coming to our feeders. They are really cool. They are bright orange and black. Sorry for the bad picture, which reminds me again that I still want to get a good camera. The iPhone and point and shoots are great for snapshots on the go, but there are times I wish I had a good camera with a view finder. That is on my to do list when I get back east.

One last ride tomorrow and then we head back. Looking forward to some humidity and NJ rocks!

IMG_1881.jpg
IMG_1885.jpg
18077217_10208681763338030_1677913828446547753_o.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom