Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

Finally warm weather has arrived! I have been riding in short sleeves since Monday and boy does that feel good. Today it was 62 degrees by 10am. I wish I could say the wash stopped, but with the warmer temps, snow up high melts and it keeps running. Dodge wash ( the one at the bottom of our hill with no bridge ) looks to be getting lower, but it is so sandy and soft. Art brought his truck back home a few minutes ago and said that the traction control was going and almost stopped him in the middle. We both wish we could turn off the traction control, but that is not an option in his truck.

I took a good look at a topo map and figured out where both washes come from, and by the looks, they may run for a few more weeks. CDO wash comes down from the west side of Mt Lemmon which is snowbound. It does wrap around a few more mountains to the north, so at some point the earth will just soak it all up before our street. The CDO in town by the bike loop is dry. Dodge wash comes through a steep canyon behind our house. We explored on our ride a few days ago and checked one of the tributaries from the high meadows. It was running pretty good. However I have seen those run when there is no water on our street. My guess is that things are oversaturated and just need some time. Not much snow left up there, so I am hoping that wash dries in the next week.

Either way, Art got a few bags of mortar so he can continue to work on his terracing. We got groceries yesterday by foot to the car, and humped the bags up the hill by foot. I had to rethink my shop list so that I could carry everything. Not a bad thing. I actually took a nap in the sun today after my ride. That felt pretty good too.

dodgetributary.jpg

gemart.jpg

upper50.jpg

After a week of warm weather the wash has slightly gone down. It still has a soft spot, but we have been driving across and bringing in supplies. Big supplies too; concrete, cinder block, and flagstone. Art has been chipping away on the terracing project. As soon as he takes the tarps up, I will get some more pictures.

Riding has been very comfortable with the warm temps. We spent the weekend in Vail AZ riding with friends down there. We had a chance to check out the new competition loop. It was very nice yet not a single obstacle or rock. Not sure what the thinking is, but that seems to be what NICA is about and I suppose this loop was made with NICA in mind. I am sorta glad to not be racing any longer. This type of riding gets bland after awhile. However, if it gets more kids out there, it is a good thing.

wash2.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

hohkam.jpg

I posted pictures yesterday, but did not have time to put together an explanation. Here it goes:

So we have a wall around our courtyard. This is pretty common out here. We like to have some seed feeders in addition to the hummingbird feeders, but prefer to keep them outside the wall. Being that this is a slope, the ground feeding critters are always foraging on the slope making it erode. The wall is getting undermined, so something had to be done. Art decided to build some retaining walls and harden under the feeders with flagstone. Previous owners had done some mortar/chicken wire/ rock work in some spots but more was needed. These pictures are the first two sections. There are a few more still to do. Our plan is to mortar, add rocks and plantings so that it looks natural. This will probably be an ongoing project that will go into next year.

Our little warm spell was great, but today it is back in the 60's and rain is on it's way. We are expected to get another inch or so and have high temps go back into the 50's for a few days. I am not sure what this will do to the wash. It looks like we will have to stock up on food tomorrow incase we are stuck at home for the week.

Migration is just about here, and birds are here in great numbers, but I expect some new ones. A local birder has mentioned that goldfinches are non existent and we have many. Not sure why they are all at our house, but there must be something here that they like. Art erected a mesquite branch as a perch for the hummingbirds and quickly it was filled with gold finches and hummingbirds. They queue up on the branch waiting to get in and feed. It can be quite a show at times. All good when hanging around home for a few days.

Last edited:
Art and I took the tandem out on the bike path Monday and not only did we see some wonderful wild flowers (a field of globe mallow), but we saw a half a dozen other tandems. They all looked like retired age too. There is something to say about warm dry weather keeping us seniors active. It turned out to be a beautiful day that was originally predicted to be rain. The rain did come Monday night, and it is still stormy today with the wash starting to run again as well. As of yesterday morning, it looked to be passable with our truck, but we have not been back down to check today.

Oops, as soon as I typed "stormy", the rain stopped and the sun came out. Just another crazy weather day in the mountains. Rain brings wild flowers: I have already spotted tiny blossoms starting on my orange tree and small flower buds are starting on my beaver tail cactus and hedgehog cactus. While temps are only in the 50's today, I sense that spring is around the corner.

globe mallow.jpg

sunset11.jpg

snow dessert.jpg

wash 99.jpg

pear.jpg

coconut cream.jpg
bluedic.jpg

And finally ..... Dodge wash has gone dry. It was running when we left for our ride and was dry on our way back. CDO wash is still running, but we have a bridge. So we are back to full activities, and made it to trail build day near Starr Pass at a new property called Enchanted Hills.They are building some machine built novice loops and a downhill run. This is pretty cool that the county is on board with an official downhill run. We helped build the climb up to the dh run. Technically, this was our first trail work day in 2019! As usual Art kicked some senior butt with the local tucson builders. I worked until my back gave out. It was a good day!

wash dry.jpg

tm at Starr.jpg

dh run.jpg

I also finished my first painting in quite some time. Now that I am retired, and not racing and riding every day, I thought I should start indulging in some new things, and some old things that I have not done in a long time. The beauty of the desert inspires me, so here it is ... not great, but a start and a new passion in progress. Art says it looks like a shroom trip.

painting.jpg

trail flowers.jpg

Wild flowers are popping up all over, and warm temps make it feel like spring is finally here. It has felt like it took a long time to come this year with much rain and even snow. While some plants in my yard are still looking dormant, many others are blooming. Once the penstemon started blooming, hummingbird feeders slowed down. I started with one penstemon 3 years ago. It bloomed prolifically for 2 - 3 years and finally gave it up. The seeds went flying in the wind all that time and this year the rain has shot them up and into bloom allover the garden. Hummingbirds and bees love them. Spring is off to a good start here in Tucson.

penstemon.jpg

north garden.jpg
clouds virga.jpg

Finding rocks while building trails in Ringwood has never been a problem, and I find it strange that Art and I had to purchase rocks today. We actually have some giant boulders on our property and do own a grip hoist. However, only a few trees large enough to handle the fixed pull point. So instead of trying to move giant rocks uphill, we found a source for medium rocks that we can lift. We are going to need a bunch of rocks to help hold up the hill side and secure plantings until their roots take hold. These rocks were junk rocks or misfits at $36 a ton. Todays pick was $18. and quite a pretty bunch of rocks.

Some exciting things this week: 1. orioles have arrived and have been at our feeders a few times. 2. An agave has set up a bloom stalk. They only bloom once near death ( 10-80 years old). The stalk grows about 5 inches a day until it is about 20 feet tall. The 2 fountain pictures are 5 days apart. I am hoping it starts to bloom before I head back east. I would love to see it. I have about 10 mature agave on the property so there is a chance I could see another, but it is doubtful.

Today it got into the 80's, so spring is here in full now. I guess those temps would classify as summer in NJ, but it is a dry heat, so not too bad. Over the last week, I have had some good rides. Not like uber long or anyplace new, but good because I actually felt pretty good. At the end of the week, I plan to attempt the Ridgeline trail. It is a bigger ride and could be quite good with wild flowers. Some of the hillsides are lupines as far as you can see. What really looks good is when there are other colors mixed in too. I will try to get some pictures if I go.

rocks.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg
IMG_2566.jpg
IMG_2545.jpg

I had to go through some old pictures today and was reminded how many things we did with this house and yard. Here are some before and after pictures of our yard and master bath:

before
beforeyard.jpg

after
afteryard.jpg

before
beforesink.jpg

after
aftersink.jpg

before
before shower.jpg

after
aftershower.jpg

Friday I finally got up onto the Ridgeline Trail. It is one of my favorites during bloom season. The spectacular loop of trail at the top is only 10 miles or so, but getting up there makes for a big ride. This has been my biggest ride this year so far. I went with Art, our friends; Mike and Brenda and 2 of their friends that were visiting from back east. They were actually doing the 40 mile version. Art and I were only doing the 32 mile version.

There is about 8 miles across slightly uphill meadow ( 1st picture ), and then we climb up over a saddle which is somewhat eroded and a good part fire road. There also is a major climb to get up on the ridge, and each time I do it, it nearly kills me. I wish I could say it gets easier, but it never does. It actually gets worse. You would think I am getting old or something ;). Anyhow, once up on top, the flowers were awesome. There were many in bloom and many more soon to bloom like the Yucca. I actually did better than usual climbing back over the saddle, but I was toast after the ride and yesterday. So Art and I have been taking it easy for a few days.

The weather has been wonderful; sunny and seventies with a light cool breeze. The snow up on the mountains makes for some great breezes! My tangerine tree is blooming and the smell of the blossoms is heavenly. Bees and hummingbirds are busy. We now have 5 species of hummingbirds that visit.

lupine.jpg

flowers saguara.jpg

group flowers.jpg

Some cactus are starting to bloom, and we now have 3 agave sending up stalks. Spotted a rufus hummingbird one morning. They migrate through on their way to Alaska and northwest. I also picked up an individual hummingbird feeder and hand fed a costa. Many of the costa, which are the smallest, are pretty bold. They often feed while I carry the feeders in and out of the house. It only took about a minute standing next to a feeder to get one to come into my hand held individual feeder. It was really cool. I could feel the jet wash. I have been really enjoying the weather the last few weeks.

IMG_2714.jpg
IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2752.jpg

It only took about a minute standing next to a feeder to get one to come into my hand held individual feeder.

U need a 3rd hand to take selfie with hummingbird.

Things are beginning to turn into spring here in NJ as well. The forsythia and magnolias are beginning to bloom. Grass is greening, birds are filling the meadows with their chatter, I saw a wood duck the other day.

When are you guys coming back?

U need a 3rd hand to take selfie with hummingbird.

Things are beginning to turn into spring here in NJ as well. The forsythia and magnolias are beginning to bloom. Grass is greening, birds are filling the meadows with their chatter, I saw a wood duck the other day.

When are you guys coming back?
Great to hear spring is happening back in NJ. I miss the great trails and many of my dear friends! We should be back on the road east in about 3 weeks.

Art decided to wrap up the terracing project for the season so that we can enjoy our last few weeks out here. We have some ideas for next year, but it will have to wait. Trail projects are waiting back in New Jersey, however it is a wonderful time of year to be in Tucson enjoying the bloom and warm weather. We rode Starr Pass today and cactus and ocotillo were already blooming. It is hard to ride and not stop and look around. Everything is amazing this time of year. We are both trying to soak it all up before we head back.

It seems like the trip west in the fall can not come soon enough, yet the departure from west to east is always bittersweet. I can only think that we leave too soon, but things back east seem to call us back. Not sure if our schedule will remain, but I suppose it is something to think about as we start to step down from some of our NJ parks responsibilities. It also starts to get hot in May and that may make us want to head back or at least get out of Tucson. We are happy to be able to go back and forth for now.

terrace.jpg

bishop2.jpg

hedghog2.jpg

pad.jpg

yuca daisy.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

quail.jpg

stalk.jpg

ppearbloom.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

There are surprises every day in the yard. Today I noticed a 4th agave stalk in progress. I do not think I will get to see them in bloom as they may all bloom when we are gone. Next year they may just be a brown skeleton ... all pretty cool.

ppear2.jpg

poppy.jpg

cholla.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

No pictures today, but we are averaging one new bloom a day. However, I fear I may miss much this year. We plan to head east in 9 days. Today it hit 91 degrees. That does not sound too bad, but the sun is super hot this time of year. Out here there is not the abundant shade that we have back east during summer, and things warm up quickly even with the dry heat. My skin is dark and starting to look like leather.

Today our car read 104 degrees. Sounds hot, but we just finished a 3 hour ride with lots of climbing and survived. We got up high today and did most the local tech stuff with friends. There was a nice breeze on the slick rock stuff but some sections were more protected and seemed hot. Wednesday Art and I got up to Cow Pies and Baby Jesus which is the other upper tech stuff. It was our first time on that trail in 2 years as a 2017 storm eroded much of the climb up. Things were ok up there. I wish I could say there is good trail work on our local trails, but the state is not that agreeable with trail work. The work ends up rogue and while the volunteers have good intentions, they usually make the same mistakes over and over again. On top of that, this is horse and cow country, so even a good trail could go downhill fast. Either way, I like to get up to the high stuff because it is really rugged and scenic. Not the scenic red rock stuff but giant boulders and drainages with big trees.

I have not turned the AC on yet, but may have to in a few days. As much as I have been trying to stay outside, the no see um bugs are really bad this year. I guess the rainy year has set us up for more bugs. Usually there are very few bugs out here other than giant spiders, killer bees and scorpions. Perhaps related, I have only seen a bat twice. Usually we see them every night. Not sure what is up with that. I hope they come back and eat our bugs.

Back
Top Bottom