Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

Saturday night was the usual pre-race night: epsom bath, drinking lots of water and being pretty relaxed. I know some people can get stressed before racing, and I try not to think too much about results or negatives things. Racing should be fun, and that is the way I try to keep it.

When I got to the race I only warmed up 20-30 minutes because I thought that 2 laps could still be tough for me in my current state. We took a vote and all women went together. That is always a big help, because you have motivation being around more riders, and some I can pass right off the start and do not have to deal with later. My lack of fitness left me second to last when we hit the rubble climb, but I plugged away steady and eventually got to the front of my age group. The course was slick in some spots but really fun and lent itself to riding pace not race pace. I thought it would be a lot harder, but I felt ok riding at that pace. So, I guess this was a perfect first race for me. Art won his race too. So good day all around.

wyckoff cycle.jpg

Last edited:
My full race report here: http://pixyandabike.blogspot.com/2018/06/bear-creek-rocks-rule.html It is brief, but not as brief as my last post here. I am just not into boring everyone with every little detail every time. I try to chose a few important take aways.

I have had a dew days to think about last Sundays race, and the season moving forward. I compared my times to previous races at Bear Creek, i.e. 2013 and 2014 Nationals. Although my race Sunday was significantly slower than the 2014 dry race, It was somewhat similar to 2013's race with the thunderstorm. So considering that last Sunday was my first race and first ride where I even pushed myself, I think it was ok. I am tired again this week, but I may need the week to fully recover. I would really like to go out and do some intervals on the road, but I may just wait till next week. I used to be able to force myself to do those types of workouts, but my body will just not let that happen anymore unless it is ready. Just as well as Dirty Thursdays start up this week, so I hope to get out and work this evening.

Looking ahead, Lewis Morris will be my next race. Stewart had been on my schedule when it was in May, but the rescheduled date of June 16th conflicts with my Aunts memorial service. I do not really like Lewis Morris, but it should be a perfect training race for me. I will most likely get spanked, which I need, if I plan to go to Nationals in July. I was hoping for a third race, but there is not enough time. With my slow recovery, I want to allow 2 weeks in between.

I ordered a new bike and it looks like they finally are in stock at the factory. I could have it in hand within a few weeks. No surprises, I just ordered a new pivot 429. I really love that bike, and every time I try to convince myself to go with something else, I end up in a dead end. It seems like many brands do not make small XC 29ers anymore. They stop at medium and make the smalls in 27.5 (650b). Either way, the industry has to evolve, and I am sometimes reluctant to change until the bike du jour comes in a size that fits me. I am not bitter about it, I just like to stay with what I know works. Pivot has been great for me now. I will be getting boost, carbon wheels, Fox34 and sram eagle for the first time.

Once again no pictures :( and another cloudy day. Hoping for some sunshine soon!

Last edited:
Some of the bike demos from WMBA festival.

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

This guy has been feeding in the creek behind my house: mostly crayfish from what I have seen. The red winged blackbirds have been chasing him off the pond. Last night I saw the first green heron of the year on the pond. Feeling like summer is finally here.

heron.jpg

Wow, what a night! Today was like a "10" day. I had to wait until 4:30 for my teammates, but it was worth it. I rode my road bike up into Harriman. My last road ride was last Friday and I did the same ride: 25 miles just up the hill and back. Today I went a tad farther and cut over a minute off the climb. It also did not hurt quite as much, so feeling like I am improving. I have also been bringing my handlebars back down a tad as it was forcing my shoulders up. My neck has been better for sure. I do not think there is anything mechanical wrong with my neck. I am beginning to think that when my iron levels get low, my power starts to shut down and if I push through it, I get seriously sore, like for days. My neck may hurt as a result of fatigue from my arms and neck. If my legs get really fatigued, it may affect my back. So I am keeping my rides shorter and trying to be wrapped up before I get that tired. As much as I want to ride like I used to, it does not seem to do me any good. So I hope to keep it a bit lighter for now. I am quite thankful to be able to ride up to Harriman tonight. It was really beautiful.

I was a bit bummed to miss the Stewart race, but my time with my family at my aunts memorial service this past Saturday was important to me. I had not seen some of my cousins in close to 20 years. Cousins kids, that I had not seen since they were little kids, are now married and engaged. It was great to catch up in person, not just FB. It was a wonderful day to remember my beautiful aunt (older sister to my dad).

I rode LM race course today. I only go there for races and pre-rides. That is about the limit of my LM attention span. Going there twice a year is perfect, because I still like it enough to race. I usually ride SS at LM, but this year I am riding gears. My fitness has been slowly improving, but it seems like there are a ton of fast ladies out there, so I will probably get spanked on race day. Todays 2 lap ride did not seem too bad. I hope to survive 3 laps on race day.

And, ... the exciting news is: my new bike arrived at the shop today! I want to change out a few parts, so I am not sure it will be built by Sunday, but I should be on it by next week and have it for Nationals. Woohoo! This coming Thursday is 4 weeks to Nationals.

Last edited:
My new bike is not ready yet, but Art got his new bike. He took it out today and is just thrilled with it. He got a Yeti SB5.5. I did take some pictures but they did not come out good. He did get one of me going through the squeeze at Sterling. This week has been going real well. We got a large group of volunteers on Thursdays Trail Build and finished the Crown on the causeway. We needed to bucket in clay from hundreds of feet away. We had enough people so that we could take turns and not kill ourselves. Thank you Paydirt program! Looking forward to building the next piece of trail!

I was able to get in a training ride on the road this week. I worked on cadence and it felt pretty good. I had not done cadence in years. I also shaved a few more seconds off the big climb. Trying to beat Srava all the time is pretty dumb, but I really like the way I can make an effort and check it when I get home. There are times when it helps my confidence. I realize that soon it will make me depressed, but as of today, Strava is still my friend.

Today I was a tad tired on the bike, particularly going up hill. This has been pretty normal these days. A good day is usually followed a few days later with a tired day. I was up for the LM 3 lap challenge and now am having second thoughts. Can someone tell me why 55+ men do 2 laps and 60 year old women are expected to do 3 laps? :oops: .....Ok, enough whining. I know I can finish and I really want another race or two before nationals, so I am racing Sunday regardless of laps. Nationals is 80-100 minutes. LM may be 120-130 minutes, which is not too bad. I do have the option to coast after 100 minutes, if I really want to. I have always been of the " whatever does not kill you, makes you stronger" mindset. Perhaps I am now of the age that I should redefine what qualifies as "stronger" .

Looking forward to seeing some of you on Sunday!

Sterling squeeeze.JPG

I guess I can say that I had some success at Lewis Morris. First off, I got rid of 2 bikes! I handed off cheetah to sarcaro for her girl cave, and sold my cross bike to an up and coming junior with his eyes set on cross nationals. So even though I never made it to cross nationals myself, my bike may still go.

As for the race: the weather was looking bad a few days before, but race day was pretty nice. There was a little humidity and some sweaty roots until mid morning. Perfect set up for pre-West Virginia nationals. I was trying to keep my bike time under 2 hours. With 3 laps I knew I would go over, so I only did a 15 minute warm up. Basically spun as fast as I could up the pavement in an easy gear 3 times to elevate HR, that's it. My start was surprisingly better than expected and I found myself in second place by the long root climb after the switchback. When ever I race here, the place I am when I get to that climb on lap 1 is usually where I finish.

I slipped off the trail once on some wet roots. I did not go down but I felt like I lost my mojo for a half a lap. On lap 2, I did much better. I got swallowed by traffic on the crazy twists and let a few guys pass me. All of them went down and I ended up at the bottom before them and had to let them by again before the start finish. Finally when I came through to start my last lap, I had to call a line through some zig-zag drama pros. I've said it before and I will say it again, getting lapped is the most exciting part of racing Lew mo. My last lap was ok, not as fast, but ok. After all the years racing on a ss at this place, having gears made some sections so much easier. I do not regret racing, however, I did not need that last lap.

Today my back is in spasm. Not the expected lower back that many associate with racing over the roots, but mid back, which is just being on a bike racing for too long for me right now. I hope it resolves with enough time to get in one or two more training rides before nationals.

I realize that I may be an anomaly, but with time, more older women may want to race, and promoters should consider appropriate race lengths as well. Racing back in 99, I remember trying to qualify for master worlds and this older pro shows up and smokes the field. It was Carol Waters. A few of the Cat 1's complained about pros racing in with us, but I was seriously impressed that she took master racing to such a high level. This has been my goal for all these years. To have a masters class and be competitive. That was close to 20 years ago. Women's racing has come so far and yet, it has not come far enough. Today I am seriously feeling like I need a shorter race, if I want to continue racing.

That humidity was brutal yesterday... Nice to meet you and Art briefly after the noon race....

That was close to 20 years ago. Women's racing has come so far and yet, it has not come far enough. Today I am seriously feeling like I need a shorter race, if I want to continue racing.

I usually look to the cat 2 fields to see what the health of the sport looks like. The men's classes have started to rebound this year which is great to see. The women's class has gone to nothing. I am not sure what the solution is. I actually have no idea how to begin to address it. But I think combining that cat 2 field into 1 essentially obliterated it.

I usually look to the cat 2 fields to see what the health of the sport looks like. The men's classes have started to rebound this year which is great to see. The women's class has gone to nothing. I am not sure what the solution is. I actually have no idea how to begin to address it. But I think combining that cat 2 field into 1 essentially obliterated it.
I think women's class distribution goes in cycles as cat 3 enter in and move up. Some women will never go to Cat 1. Pro/Cat1 women this year is large. That was your Cat 2 class of the past few years. If you do a comparison you need to look at total racers #. Making less classes makes more in a class, but are there actually more racers? It really does not cost more to make more classes. It is great to see so many cat 1 women race in the pro class. That is working well. Some women will get fast, but racing is not just about fast pros. Cat 3's need to keep coming in and everyone needs a suitable place to go as they progress. Many racers drop out after a while and with low numbers of women, that drop off seems noticeable. I do not have answers and recommend asking women at the end of this season.

After a trip to both the Chiropractor and the massage therapist, my back is now ok to ride. I am bit bummed that what used to be a normal effort to get me back in shape, can keep me off the bike for a few days, but I'll take what I can get. I just need to keep moving.

I have a Trail building day at Ringwood tomorrow morning, but hoping to get down to the bike shop after and pick up my new bike. Pictures to follow.

I have had my new bike out for 3 short rides. The first 2 rides were mainly to dial in sag, rebound, handlebar height and tire pressure. It is basically the same bike model (429) I have been riding for the past 5 years, but the newer version and updated components. The bike itself is awesome! I was able to dial it in very quickly with the help of the expert set up of Mike at Wyckoff Cycle. Mike is a mountain biker himself and it is always great to work with a shop that specializes in mountain bikes like Wyckoff. The fork may still be a tad too lively at slow speeds for my style riding, but it is spot on at speed. I went to Sterling today and rode down the the D section, to tie my previous strava best and I was not pushing it. I hope to get up to Waway tomorrow and give it another go.

The new bike came with Fox factory 34. My last bike had a 32, which had many problems accommodating smaller riders, that have since been addressed. Other components include DT Swiss carbon wheels and XX1 Eagle. I did not use the bar/stem/grip system that was sold with the bike for several reasons: 1. I needed a much longer stem to get enough reach, and 2. After doing some research on the new 35 bar standard, I found that riders under 150 lbs complained that the bars were too stiff and caused hand fatigue. I can see a stiff set up for super wide bars and big guys, but pixy riding, not so much. I stayed with the old standard and a comfort fit. Although, I did keep my handle bars 1 inch wider than my last bike. I'll let you know If I keep them that way after I ride Jungle ;).

I just spent 3 days with little communications, after an electrical storm killed our router, modem and cell network extender. Not sure what happened, but the surge protectors and the circuit breakers were tripped and nothing worked. Many people assume that cell phones will always work, but not at my house. Not even a text message. I could not even register a new modem. Apparently you need to call in on your phone while standing next to it. So, the woods has been my office the past few days. I ride by a hotspot and hear all my messages coming in. Anyway, the repair guy came today and hooked us back up.

bike.jpg

So I am still tweaking the suspension on my new bike. I tend to struggle with this every time I get a new bike. I am super picky about having plush and damp ride feel. I am smaller than industry standards and sadly, at 60 years old I am probably going to start shrinking soon :rolleyes:. So, generally I feel like I am always riding overbuilt stuff. I say that in a good way, as the industry seems to do a good job building bikes that will hold up to aggressive riding. Do I wish I could get a super light bike ? Yes, but I do not think I can go back to 100mm fork and minimal tires. There are some things that just make riding so much more comfortable as you age.

So on AGE: I now have 3 people registered in my class for nationals! ... yay! It is an odd empty feeling when no one signs up. I have been using the lack of women racing as a motivating tool. I think it takes my focus off of me, my not so great fitness and aches and pains and puts the focus on the big picture and why we do this bike thing in the first place. Biking is supposed to make us feel better, and yes, women feel good riding a bike.

I had a last minute trip back to the doctor, and he has convinced me to stop a bunch of supplements since I tested highly reactive to one in particular. I do not fully understand what he is talking about, but I trust him. I have been eating well, feel good off the bike, and ok on the bike if I keep my rides short and rest. I can always re-evaluate after the race.

I did a ride with the ladies yesterday at Sterling and had a fantastic time. It is an empowering feeling to go out riding with a group of awesome ladies that can shred. Mountain biking is not easy to get into, and not every women will have the desire to make the cut. The ones that do are usually pretty awesome ! :)

Last edited:
I arrived at Snowshoe today after heavy thunderstorms. I had about 30 minutes between storms and snuck out on course for a partial lap. The course is quite muddy and wet: classic Snowshoe! Rain is predicted tomorrow, so I am not sure the pre ride will be great. Weather is looking to dry out by race day. I expect to be washing my bike a lot :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom