Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

TedH

And yes, the spider is a little freaky. I won't say kill it, but a forced relocation may be useful.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Working guest! i'll even stand watch on the high wall of the compound and work as a sentry :)

I was thinking that there needs to be an Art & Ellen statue commissioned for Ringwood, but I cant think of anyone better then Art to build it.

What the hell is that spider eating? groundhogs?

Looking forward to the blog, good luck to you and art.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Some notes on retirement: we have someone that will be moving into our NJ house while we are gone, so we have been cleaning out and downsizing our stuff a bit, and OMG ... in 30 years, we have accumulated a lot of crap! That is one really bad thing about being in one place for a long time, stuff accumulates. Every few days, I have been cleaning out another closet, drawer, dresser or room. I'm starting in the middle and working toward the attic and basement. Still a long way to go.

One thing I did ask Art to do is cycle our bike batteries to see how many of them still worked. They had not been used in 6 years, and the 909 race is coming as well as 24hr of Old Pueblo, which I will be 30 minutes away from in Az. All the lights worked, so I can check that off too.

As far as the "money pit"(AZ house), estimates are in for new windows, concrete floor finisher and kitchen cabinets. Jesus, the builder goes in today to look at the block wall we want removed to enlarge the kitchen. Still waiting to hear from the electrician. In the mean time, Art and I have worked out the whole kitchen, so that he can have cabinets ready before he closes shop. This is all assuming that the block wall can mostly come down. If posts and header are needed, cabinet depth will have to be modified at the posts.

I really wanted race Granogue last Sunday, but being that it was 2.5 hours away and I had to go solo, I ended up bailing. I actually hooked up a partial car pool by Saturday, but I had already written it off in my mind. I find it hard to keep focussed on racing sometimes. With expenses and dividing up my energy and time, I tend to race only if I really want to race.

Pictures:
1. The block wall we want to remove.
2. Tile in upstairs bath that Pearl may like! .... maybe 2016 project.

Attachments

• beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 359
  • tile.jpg
    tile.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 334

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
that tile is pretty badass.

also, how does seeding work for shuffleboard nats? do we need to qualify? where are the east coast qualifiers?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
training leagues start here - mostly mid-town, you know, the upper 40s through the 50s....serious players can start doing a winter league down south with regular northern meetings in the 60s.

serious stuff is year round, with occasional visits for special dates. Expect short appearances uptown..can be informal, or formal. expect many regret cards for invitationals.

everyone else sticks with the fantasy league....

----

best of luck with project:southwest! it needs a logo and a tag line.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i have "family" close to the hendersonville location, maybe i can organize this.

assemble your crew!

EDIT: Looks like I missed it :p

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
A week has gone by and where did the time go? Two days were completely lost to prep and recover from a colonoscopy. The next day, I got a call from the surgical center to see how I was doing. I was out riding on the trail when they called. Not just any trail, but like the most technical section of Ringwood. "Yes, I'm fine" I said, but it really made me feel alive and thankful to not only be out riding but able to still ride that kind of stuff.

Communications with the Az builder and electrician continue as we all try to figure out the logistics of the first phase of the construction project in January. I also can check off a few more closets on my NJ house downsizing. There were some good memories when I tossed out the contents of the halloween costume closet. I can verify that Elvis has left the building, as well as Edward derailieur hands.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to fit in any training rides or races since Nittany. Racing has just been put on the back burner for now. My next race will be Providence. The New England UCI racers have huge fields and are quite the scene. It should be fun in a crazy way!

Az house Pictures:
1. $350 leather sofa bought at a Tucson used furniture store.
2. The cool staircase with shag carpet.

Attachments

• sofa.jpg
    sofa.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 318
  • stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 325

mandi

Some how I am just seeing this blog now. The house looks awesome and I can't wait to see what you guys do! Good luck!

jackx

Just found this blog now. The pictures are really add to the updates.

Sounds like a great new life chapter! Best of luck!

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
This has not been the best week. My back went out Monday morning and last night my work horse computer stopped working. I was getting weird messages, could not get email and started cleaning out old files and must have thrown away something important. I know I'm a computer idiot, so no need to tell me again. I'm having a friend help me re install tonight. I hope we can resurrect her again.

As for my back, I can still lightly ride a bike, but find it difficult to stand, walk or sleep. I'm not sure how racing will go this weekend at Providence, but I will be there in some form, and I hope I feel good enough to race at least one day.

I had a great day on the bike last Saturday, when I rode 80 miles with Art on the tandem in Tour de Farm. We rode some awesome roads from Blairstown to Highpoint and back. We stopped at various farms along the way. I also had the company of a few classmates from high school.

On the "Money Pit" front, we just got our estimate from the builder. We are looking for him to drop a block wall between kitchen and bed room to enlarge the kitchen. We are also looking to have him cut two holes for new windows and replace rotten window sills with cement sills and prepare some window openings. We plan to replace all the windows at some point, but only the downstairs this year. The windows on the old part of the house currently have some dry rot that could use attention. It seems like cement is the way to go out here because of the extreme sun.

I'm glad readers are enjoying the pictures. However, I may run out of pictures before January.

1. future windows
2. windows with dry rot sills

Attachments

• window 1.jpg
    window 1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 347
  • window 2.jpg
    window 2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 340

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh man, that first pic looks like you live in a modern adobe. So cool. You should put brightly colored Aztec art all over the walls. And maybe try peyote. In whatever order you like.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
wow that would be my retirement dream looks pretty much perfect... good luck with the riding out there....

bigW

Razing Arizona

Excellent destination. Very jealous

When you have interest in venturing further out, checkout Silver City NM. Should only be a three hour drive and 5,000 - 7,000 ft of elevation cools things off big time. Leopold and Gila Wilderness areas are remote and awesome ( they may still have the Tour of the Gila as well )

Warren

PS: just did my first SS century (Twin Light) Sunday on the Voodoo Wazoo that Art sold a few years back, great bike. :)

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Warren ... so glad the wazoo is still going strong. I was admiring one that I saw today at Providence!!

Providence race course is awesome and some how even better than last year. It has some crazy up hill steep flyovers/now run ups, and in a strange way, I like it all. they dialed in some hilly twisty stuff and installed a jump! My fitness is kinda crap right now, on top of that, my back has been in spasm since Monday, and Friday I got a major head cold. My race was not good in terms of racing but I had a good time out there anyway. 130 amateur women on course is insane!! I do not know what they do up here to get these women out, but it is worth mentioning.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
I did not think it was possible, but my race performance on Sunday was even worse than Saturday. Course was still great and my back is getting better .... hooray! I knew a few days sweating on the bike would help. I just wish I had more energy to race. I always say "things happen for a reason", mostly to to accept what is and to move ahead and embrace life's next experience. I have no idea how much more cross I will do this year, but I will try to keep an open mind.

Money Pit: We are sort of back to the beginning with contractors as the window company that gave us a great deal on windows, just told us that as of Oct 1 they no longer do residential. Also, Jesus the builder would only do part the work and estimated too high. So we need to set up some more estimates. Thankfully the electrician seems to be on the ball and ready to start work. We may end up doing more construction work ourselves, and that may not be such a bad thing. I just hope Art and I take care of our backs, so we can still do some heavy work. I was pretty strong in my thirties. Not so much any more.

I remember back in my forties being given the job of removing tile from a floor while Art went to the dump. He popped the first tile out and said for me to do the same. He came back an hour later and I was still working on the first tile. He gave me that disappointed look and grabbed the tool and spent 15 minutes on that one tile. He ended up renting a jack hammer. So, things do not always go as planned. Two weeks can easily become 2 months and near diverse according to the "Money Pit".

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
With my computer dead, just getting to pictures now.

1 & 2 some of the cool fireplaces in the AZ house. We have never been in a house with a fireplace. Now we have 4.

3 & 4 Awesome ride at Waway today reminds me of why I love to ride a mountain bike.

Attachments

• beehive.jpg
    beehive.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 325
  • fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 316
  • rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 340
  • swamp.jpg
    swamp.jpg