Mountain creek Vernon NJ

Chris lizardo

Hey guys I'm planning on going to mountain creek this weekend I have a 2011 trek 6000 in mink condition im not planning on going on one of the hard trails. Do you guys think this bike will be fine on this down hill trail ? Not looking to rent one of their expensive bikes.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It'll make it down on the easiest trails, just don't try to take it off any sweet jumps. If you don't plan on going often, it's definitely worth renting at least once for the full experience. If you're new to gravity, or biking in general, downhill bikes are super forgiving to mistakes because of the super slack front end and tons of travel.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wouldn't
I would rather have the right tool for the right job. You will be very limited. If I were you I would find a new never ridden state or county park to explore.

huffster

Rentals at Mountain Creek don't look too bad at $50 for 4 hours, but who am I to say what your budget is. My nephew has a season pass and goes their weekly. He told me that their rental equipment is pretty good quality.

Ridetopia is right up the road on Route 94. Not sure what their pricing is. Just an option. Their website is a under development and thus a little weak (http://www.ridetopiabikes.com/home.html) But, their number is 973 864 6000. No experience with them, just know they've been there awhile and they seem to have a decent fleet.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@qclabrat
ummm... if this is the same chris, then no :(
posted from MTBNJ event page:

Untitled-1.jpg

qclabrat

I'm planning to visit the park later this month. First timer. After reading this, what type of protection gear will I need?
Also will a 160 travel bike be sufficient for the beginner trails?

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm planning to visit the park later this month. First timer. After reading this, what type of protection gear will I need?
Also will a 160 travel bike be sufficient for the beginner trails?

full face helmet for sure. knee and elbow pads. i didn't wear elbow pads the last time and i banged my arm into a tree (i'm fine, just got some nice cuts and bruises which would have been prevented had i been wearing elbow pads).

i used my 5010 there last time (just baby jumps/drops and working on table tops) and it was totally fine. rent a DH bike if you can for the most fun first time experience. i took the 5010 on black diamond trails, just went around the drops and stuff and it was fine for most of the rocky stuff.

and if you can, get someone who knows the trails or hire a guide (either from MC or outside coach) to show you around.

i say this every time someone asks about MC... but i'd rather shill out the money for a coach and for rental equipment than to spend the money on an ER visit.

oobaa47

Heal up Chris!!
Qclabrat: you'll be able to do 80% of the trails there on a 160mm. And in all honesty, you shouldn't be doing the remaining 20% if it's your first time anyway. You'll have a blast, but if you want to push it through the gnar at fast speeds, I'd recommend renting. Wear as much padding as you can, but the bare minimum should be full face, knee, shin, and elbow pads; and of course gloves and googles. Shoot me a PM when you're headed up, I know every trail up there. I'm usually there 3 out of the 4 weekends in a month.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I haven't been in a while, last time I went I had a 150 bike and could do most of the trails (ok I tried to do everything and went otb on slayer). Now my biggest bike is 120 and wonder how the xc trails are, which they were building last time I was there. I know I can ride most of the smooth dh trails, if the xc trails are decent it might be worth the lift ticket.

02camaro

yesterday was my first time to creek, banged down many of the trails on my sb95, which is a 29er 140mm travel. had the time of my life but def was wishing for some more travel. went down a few black diamonds too... slowly, but I made it, also tried parts of the US open course, another adventure but again made it in one piece. I wouldn't attempt any of it on a hardtail.

the full face helmet and goggles were 100% needed, not only for confidence boost but the amount of stuff that comes flying at you when you are following someone. I was wearing knee/shin guards but didnt get the chance to see how well they work since I didn't fall, but it was good security.

BSing with someone in the parking lot, he said he saw/heard someone got banged up on 1 one of the trains unsure of the extent of injuries though. if it is someone on here, get well soon.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
@qclabrat

Walt, the one and only time I rode creek (back in like in 2013) I did the beginner and intermediate trails on a 26" 150mm FS, much fun was had. In this case the limiting factor was not the bike, 'twas the moron ON the bike.

I had on gloves, a full face helmet & knee and elbow pads.... My only thought at the time was, I wish I had shin guards on too. Not that anything happened, it's just the thought of taking one to the shins had me more tense than optimal.

Last edited:

02camaro

i was afraid as hell going for my first time, no sleep the night before sweating just on the car ride up. got on the lift with my buddy and 2 wrong turns and 1 "oh fuck it" later, we were both barreling down a black diamond ON MY FIRST TIME. no deaths were had, no broken equipment and the day continued on in pure enjoyment. some of the best times ive had on my bike

Top Bottom