"Mountain" Biking in Florida?

I saw there were some old threads related to this but having ridden my bike in many other states just wanted to make readers that may not see those old thread that Florida has some ridiculously good mountain biking. Some of the areas like Santos which is near Ocala is more natural, other areas for mountain biking are built on old reclaimed phosphate mines and due to the mining operations of the past provide some amazing mtb trails. If you can imagine it, something like riding your mtb on a rollercoaster or consider it the equivalent of a gigantic bmx track meant for full sized mountain bikes. Florida is also VERY mtb friendly, never have I seen so many families, women, children and even older folks (one guy was close to 90 I saw riding) on the trails. I know right now is a great time here in NJ but come winter when things can be snowed in and chilly Florida is a great option, we already have our trip booked for the entire month of January near Santos, if anyone her happens to be down there at that time drop me a message, maybe we can do some riding together.

When I lived down there, many years ago. I loved riding Markham park and Quiet Waters Park. Brutal in the summer though

If you're anywhere near Tampa, check this place out - Alafia River State Park. Wow what a park - this is how all mountain bike parks should be designed/maintained. The biking trails are biking ONLY - no hikers, no runners, no horses. Most are one way so you don't have to worry about plowing into someone. And they rate the trails on a simple scale similar to ski trails - green for easy, blue for intermediate, black diamond for difficult, double black diamond for look out! I did pretty much most of the park in about 2 hrs, missed a few good trails (and made the mistake of trying Moonscape - almost died). Will def be back, it's about a 1.5 hr drive from my place. They charge 4 bucks to get in (5 for a car with more than 1 person) but well worth it. Too bad NJ can't do dedicated mtb trails like this:

27890585_1455927657850656_1460382961898618880_n.jpg

If you're anywhere near Tampa, check this place out - Alafia River State Park. Wow what a park - this is how all mountain bike parks should be designed/maintained. The biking trails are biking ONLY - no hikers, no runners, no horses. Most are one way so you don't have to worry about plowing into someone. And they rate the trails on a simple scale similar to ski trails - green for easy, blue for intermediate, black diamond for difficult, double black diamond for look out! I did pretty much most of the park in about 2 hrs, missed a few good trails (and made the mistake of trying Moonscape - almost died). Will def be back, it's about a 1.5 hr drive from my place. They charge 4 bucks to get in (5 for a car with more than 1 person) but well worth it. Too bad NJ can't do dedicated mtb trails like this:

27890585_1455927657850656_1460382961898618880_n.jpg
26" bike with seatbag on the Map WEAK

I was internetting yesterday looking for trails/rental near St. Augustine and this joint popped up. Got a wedding to go to, and will have time to kill. Didn't look promising.

I was internetting yesterday looking for trails/rental near St. Augustine and this joint popped up. Got a wedding to go to, and will have time to kill. Didn't look promising.

What popped up? If you have most of a day to kill, go to Santos. It's about 90 miles from St. Augustine and there are bike rental shops right at the trailhead.

What popped up? If you have most of a day to kill, go to Santos. It's about 90 miles from St. Augustine and there are bike rental shops right at the trailhead.
Alafia... list of top five or something in the state.
Yeah, Santos may be a bit too far, maybe. Will look into it more though in the next few weeks.

Alafia... list of top five or something in the state.
Yeah, Santos may be a bit too far, maybe. Will look into it more though in the next few weeks.

Alafia is def top 5 in the state but it's a haul from st. Augustine. I was looking last year, there's not much in northern FL.

Back
Top Bottom