Mountain biking glasses

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
This thread is probably as good as any to piggyback on. I have very light sensative eyes. A common problem with light colored eyes as I understand. I always have sunglasses on even on overcast days. :-0
Anywho, I gave up on expensive sun glasses because they get lost/broken often.
I dig polarized lenses.
Most sunglasses suck in the woods, very poor visibility. (Too dark) Sometimes a venting problem as well.

Any recommendations? Should I check out the Tifosi? Any cheaper options so I can buy a bunch?

Non prescription...

After LASIK (damn it's been like 15+ years already) my eyes came hyper sensitive to light. I can't take it...at all. Rose and Amber family tints works better for me than blue or grey tint lenses. Oakley has, for me, the clearest (least distortion) lenses, but they are harder on my eyes than the Tifosi's. I've also had good luck with Bolle and Native. Light sensitivity sucks.....

Mr. E Man

After LASIK (damn it's been like 15+ years already) my eyes came hyper sensitive to light. I can't take it...at all. Rose and Amber family tints works better for me than blue or grey tint lenses. Oakley has, for me, the clearest (least distortion) lenses, but they are harder on my eyes than the Tifosi's. I've also had good luck with Bolle and Native. Light sensitivity sucks.....
I hear Oakleys Prizm Rose is surberb

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've tried almost everything and they all fog up. Safety glasses of all kinds, bike specific Tifosi and Oakley's. The only ones that didn't fog up badly are my Oakley chainlinks, which are supposedly more of a casual design than performance. However they sit further away from my face so that might be the key. Ymmv

Strugglebus

4F2AC9B1-BC4A-47F2-AB5F-3C3C85C73358.jpeg

I use these ( not sure of name atm ). Got them at Halters about a year ago. They are of the Fototec variety so they get darker as the conditions get brighter. Perfect for my commutes that start at 4:30 am and my ride home in the mid day sun. Also never had any fogging issues.

These have become my go to riding glasses. I will take them over my Oakley’s any day.

qclabrat

Same thing for the Mrs. Afterwards she bought just about every style of Serengetis. The optics for the glass lense are excellent. I have thin corneas, high risk results so stuck with glasses

Fatduke

Switch magnetic sunglasses work great for me. They came with three sets of interchangeable lenses, but I typically end up using the lightest ones in the woods.

AndyJ

Another vote for Tifosi. I have a pair that survived getting run over by a car, so they seem pretty durable (Fortunately, they were not on my face at the time :) ) They came with the smoke, AC red, and clear lenses. I use the AC red most often; the smoke is too dark for me when in the woods.

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I use the 100% Speedplay short lense and they are awesome. Minimal to no fogging because the nose piece pushes them off your face a bit and they came with three lenses. Expensive but now you can get them with AC systems nasal magnets for better breathing.

BabyRobot

Oakley. Anything with the prism lenses that fits your face well enough to not fall off during hard riding.

I use Oakley Jawbreakers on road and dirt. More importantly though is the lens... the Prism Trail lens is fantastic! They increase contrast and "brighten" up the trail. I thought it was marketing bs, then I tried them... wow! get any Oakley frame that you like and get the Prism Trail lens. They aren't cheap, but they are worth it.

DPLEVY

I use Oakley Jawbreakers on road and dirt. More importantly though is the lens... the Prism Trail lens is fantastic! They increase contrast and "brighten" up the trail. I thought it was marketing bs, then I tried them... wow! get any Oakley frame that you like and get the Prism Trail lens. They aren't cheap, but they are worth it.

Exactly. I was skeptical at first but they're worth every cent. Transitioning from full sun to partial sun to full shade they really do a fantastic job at filtering out the light you don't want without making everything dark. You could almost wear them at night!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jdog,

do you sell oakely replacement lenses? iv been looking for a specific shade for my flak jackets and been unable to find it.

jnos

I have an assortment of safety glasses. Clear, blue, and brown. Used to have yellow, also.

jerseyjeffr

I am a huge fan of Jackson Nemesis safety glasses for riding, grey tint and polarized is only 20 bucks, and the optics seem good enough. They are also handy for outdoor powertool yardwork too. I have clear ones for woodworking and overcast days. They have straight temples and play well with helmet straps, so they keep me happy.

1525362271658.png

Top Bottom