Mountain Bike In A Road Bike World - Gran Fondo and Revolutionary Ramble

Fatduke

Curious to get some perspectives here: does anyone choose, for purposes of enjoyment, preference, or otherwise, to ride a mountain bike in longer road ride events? I'm specifically thinking about the Gran Fondo (Medio 62 mi / MiGrane 75 mi / Gran 107 mi) and the Revolutionary Ramble (50 mi / 65 mi / 100 mi). I have not ridden these, but they're on my radar this year.

I've opted for my mountain bike over my road bike in other past road ride events up to 50 miles. I'm okay enjoying the ride at a slower pace from the pack - I just prefer my mountain bike.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Curious to get some perspectives here: does anyone choose, for purposes of enjoyment, preference, or otherwise, to ride a mountain bike in longer road ride events? I'm specifically thinking about the Gran Fondo (Medio 62 mi / MiGrane 75 mi / Gran 107 mi) and the Revolutionary Ramble (50 mi / 65 mi / 100 mi). I have not ridden these, but they're on my radar this year.

I've opted for my mountain bike over my road bike in other past road ride events up to 50 miles. I'm okay enjoying the ride at a slower pace from the pack - I just prefer my mountain bike.
Yes, at any “road” event you will see people on hybrids and mountain bikes. It is likely the only bike they have or they are training for a event and want miles on the Mtb.

If you are riding the shorter lengths, you will finish at a similar time of the people on road bike who are doing the medium or long lengths. If you plan to do the 66 or 100, road bike is recommended.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I rode Gravel Fondo this year on my carbon SS. I was going to use my Ibis Hakk, but the rear wheel was giving me problems the night before, so I took the SS with a big gear (36:16.) It was a fun ride - about 50% dirt roads. I've never done an actual road event on an MTB, though.

adogg

I've done numerous centuries, including the Revolutionary Ramble on a road bike (Giant Defy) and rigid MTB (Giant Toughroad). Road bike is going to be faster but I actually enjoy these rides more on the rigid MTB. The sure footedness of the wider tires makes the ride more relaxing for me. Most of these rides are not a race, so I don't care about being slower than others. Another benefit is the more upright sitting position, you can enjoy the scenery better. Couple suggestions if you are planning to make a habit of riding your MTB for long rides, get some Ergon grips to change hand positions and tires that are not very aggressive to reduce noise and friction on pavement.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I've done both of those events...... On a road bike. I really can't imagine that much climbing and more importantly, descending at 45-50mph on anything other than a road bike. But people do it, so why not you? I would at the very least put slicks on for the event.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've done all of them on the Fat Bike through the years. Good if you're training for something bigger, otherwise, just use a road bike. Unless you're doing 200 mile road rides and just want the extra Challenge.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I

did HOH on my fatty two years ago. It was much more comfortable than my road bike on 28s but at the same time I only finished around 40 minutes slower despite double the weight.

Fatduke

Finished the Revolutionary Ramble 50 mile course yesterday in good time on my mountain bike with no issues and a lot of interest and encouragement from the roadies. Great tips above, especially from adogg and Juggernaut. I used road-appropriate 29er tires (oxymoron?). I was going to use regular MTB grips with bar ends, but literally at 5 PM the day before I realized this wasn't going to cut it. I shot over to Marty's to pick up a set of Ergon GS2 grips, did one ride around the block to get the angles dialed-in, and hoped for the best. This move honestly saved the day for me, as the only things that don't hurt today are my hands, wrists, and forearms. All that said, I may opt for the road bike for the Gran Fondo, if for nothing else, just to see how it compares on the hills of Morris County for an event.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Finished the Revolutionary Ramble 50 mile course yesterday in good time on my mountain bike with no issues and a lot of interest and encouragement from the roadies. Great tips above, especially from adogg and Juggernaut. I used road-appropriate 29er tires (oxymoron?). I was going to use regular MTB grips with bar ends, but literally at 5 PM the day before I realized this wasn't going to cut it. I shot over to Marty's to pick up a set of Ergon GS2 grips, did one ride around the block to get the angles dialed-in, and hoped for the best. This move honestly saved the day for me, as the only things that don't hurt today are my hands, wrists, and forearms. All that said, I may opt for the road bike for the Gran Fondo, if for nothing else, just to see how it compares on the hills of Morris County for an event.
Nope. Schwalbe big-ones in the light casing with sealant. Stupid light tires, roll faster than a bat out of hell.

So, I would do RR 50 as an beginning of the season “baseline” ride and the 62 (medio Fondo) route 3-4 times during the summer riding months to get comfortable on that type of terrain. Leading up to the Gran Fondo in Sept. honestly, the 62 (MF) is about 40-50% harder (for me) than the RR 50 if you do it alone. The thing is, you’re not alone, not always anyway. I strongly recommend the the training rides Marty’s puts on. Start with the 40 and build from there as you feel comfortable. As long as you register for one of the distances, you can do any of the training rides.

Last edited:

Fatduke

As the 2019 season is taking shape, I wanted to provide an update here, thank everyone again for the input, and see if this hive mind can help me solve my next cycling conundrum.

I followed Karate Monkey's advice, picked up a set of Schwalbe G-Ones f/k/a Big-Ones, trained my butt off (thanks Juggernaut), and completed the Medio Fondo despite the rain. The course was significantly harder than the RR 50, but the new tires and the end-of-season legs had me crossing the finish line in much better condition than at the RR. This year I'll be upping my mileage in both events. But first . . .

Marty's Spring Classic - 40 miles road/gravel mix. Planning to do this one with a friend who only has a 26 inch bike, so it just wouldn't be fun if I used my 29er! Will be riding my 26 inch Trek that I typically use for short (5 -10 miles) and fast gravel rides.

Anyone have tire recommendations that roll fast on pavement, but can climb and turn in gravel? Thoughts on these:

Continental Contact Travel Reflex 26" Tire - https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/continental-contact-travel-reflex-26-tire?fltr=3750&sg=501

Continental Double Fighter III Tire - https://www.jensonusa.com/Continental-Double-Fighter-Iii-Tire

Top Bottom