Motobecane Bikes

yanmar

Went to mcbp for the first time and loved it . I think I would love it more with a dh specific bike so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this company's builds and quality ? I plan to use around ten times a year so I don't want to go all in as price goes but do not want to regret my decision .

Attachments

• moto-dh-lvred-21.jpg
    moto-dh-lvred-21.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 187

qclabrat

Went to mcbp for the first time and loved it . I think I would love it more with a dh specific bike so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this company's builds and quality ? I plan to use around ten times a year so I don't want to go all in as price goes but do not want to regret my decision .
I'd skip that one, wait for the end of year specials to come out. The bike parks usually sell off their rental bikes and you can get a good deal. Also keep an eye out on Pinkbike

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2433603/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2419266/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2445849/

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I'd skip that one, wait for the end of year specials to come out. The bike parks usually sell off their rental bikes and you can get a good deal. Also keep an eye out on Pinkbike

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2433603/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2419266/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2445849/
Just curious as to why you would skip the Motobecane? If you are OK doing a bit of wrenching yourself, I know many people that have them (not the downhills) and they are fine. Not bashing, I'd really like to know your thoughts.

qclabrat

Just curious as to why you would skip the Motobecane? If you are OK doing a bit of wrenching yourself, I know many people that have them (not the downhills) and they are fine. Not bashing, I'd really like to know your thoughts.
I agree, unfair of me discounting the Motos without good reasons. Having had a few bikesdirect bikes, including entry level bikes they are trail tested and nothing wrong with them. I've heard some say they come from the same factories which make KHS frames. But for DH, where I'd like to take less chances, I'd rather go with a company known for DH bikes. Dennis a big guy and I don't think the Large is going to fit him (they only come in S/M/L) and I've read on reviews that its reach comes roughly 10mm smaller than most comparable sized bikes. I'm currently riding a bike which is a tad small for me at the park and I'm running a 90mm stem. One of the guys this past weekend mentioned that the longish stem could be the reason my body position doesn't feel right.

One bike I forgot mention is the YT Tues AL. It's a little more than the Motobecane. But still a bargain, given it's DH pedigree. It was a very popular bike at Creek this past weekend. Comparatively saw no Motos.
https://www.yt-industries.com/en/shopware.php?sViewport=detail&sArticle=1983&sCategory=93

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Boxxer fork
Code 4 piston brakes
Minion tires
Tubeless rims
And stolen KHS platform
For under 2k is a steal
Heck I may drop the coin

qclabrat

Really?
You dont know KHS history in gravity I suppose. Many national and world champs threw legs over KHS.

Meet 2018 team riders
http://www.khsfactoryracing.com/

Haha yeah I do, it is rumored to be the same frame but no one from either company is vouching for it. It looks very similar, yes great parts and I'm sure many are buying the bike and stripping it too. Research the bike, even the large may be too small for you.

1539005118276.png

comparison geo for YT Tues
1539005237965.png

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Haha yeah I do, it is rumored to be the same frame but no one from either company is vouching for it. It looks very similar, yes great parts and I'm sure many are buying the bike and stripping it too. Research the bike, even the large may be too small for you.

View attachment 78445

comparison geo for YT Tues
View attachment 78446
Only number I need is the ett length which falls right in line with large at 23.5 for downhill sled for me.
I will bet that frame is the same as KHS just with a moto badge. Moto has been pulling this off for way too many years now.

yanmar

I agree, unfair of me discounting the Motos without good reasons. Having had a few bikesdirect bikes, including entry level bikes they are trail tested and nothing wrong with them. I've heard some say they come from the same factories which make KHS frames. But for DH, where I'd like to take less chances, I'd rather go with a company known for DH bikes. Dennis a big guy and I don't think the Large is going to fit him (they only come in S/M/L) and I've read on reviews that its reach comes roughly 10mm smaller than most comparable sized bikes. I'm currently riding a bike which is a tad small for me at the park and I'm running a 90mm stem. One of the guys this past weekend mentioned that the longish stem could be the reason my body position doesn't feel right.

One bike I forgot mention is the YT Tues AL. It's a little more than the Motobecane. But still a bargain, given it's DH pedigree. It was a very popular bike at Creek this past weekend. Comparatively saw no Motos.
https://www.yt-industries.com/en/shopware.php?sViewport=detail&sArticle=1983&sCategory=93
Yeah but the ad says that a large will fit rider up to 6'4" ……………. Lol . This is why I ask questions . I have no Mt. bike back ground until the last two years . I've ridden and raced offroad motorcycles for over 30 years but were talking two different animals here . I would buy a motocross bike and have the suspension revalved and have springs for my weight , settings for the sand and settings for the rocks . Easy peasy . Cycling is more bike specific for conditions and I told my wife at least cycling would be cheaper !!!!!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
All the OOS guys need dh rigs. Maybe some team issued bikes are in order and you can get a discount !
We should all walk into Halters and order 10 DH rigs and see what kind of a discount we can get.
Well.... except me.... because I'm poor!

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m in the for bulk order!

Someone already mentioned close of season bikes... I think Creek still even has some of their specialized demo 8s from last season up for grabs. Yes they’re used...but the truth is most people that rent are obviously not regular downhill riders and are staying on the easy trails. I can’t imagine too many people are grabbing a rental and sending it down double blacks. I might go this route for next year...my poor enduro is getting trashed at Creek.

Danimal

I’m in the for bulk order!

Someone already mentioned close of season bikes... I think Creek still even has some of their specialized demo 8s from last season up for grabs. Yes they’re used...but the truth is most people that rent are obviously not regular downhill riders and are staying on the easy trails. I can’t imagine too many people are grabbing a rental and sending it down double blacks. I might go this route for next year...my poor enduro is getting trashed at Creek.
i would very much avoid buying a used demo from creek. Their bikes are thrashed and not well maintained and they ask big money for them at the end of the season as well. I'd suggest checking pinkbike.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i would very much avoid buying a used demo from creek. Their bikes are thrashed and not well maintained and they ask big money for them at the end of the season as well. I'd suggest checking pinkbike.

Really? I just can’t imagine people on rentals riding them that hard. Good to know, though.

mtbiker87

I bought my park bike from Ridetopia about 7 or 8 yrs ago. It was one of his rentals. Might not be the latest or greatest, but the thing has been pretty bombproof for me, and it still gets the job done, as witnessed by the OOS crew present last weekend at Creek. It's been upgraded a time or two through the years, but the frame is solid enough to make it worth the effort, at least to me.

mtbiker87

But look at Dan's Norco, great bikes can be found for good prices if you look hard snuff. That's an awesome rig for what he got it for.

Danimal

But look at Dan's Norco, great bikes can be found for good prices if you look hard snuff. That's an awesome rig for what he got it for.
my bike at the time i bought it was only about 3 seasons old, still plenty current aside from being a 26 er and was a top shelf build that i bought for $14-1500 ish. Now is the time to buy, keep a eye out on pinkbike and in no time you'll have a serious rig and will have more riding confidence knowing you're riding a bike that was purpose built for the terrain with suspension that can easily handle everything you throw at it.

oobaa47

Ok, motobecane bikes are not KHS knockoffs. Both designs come from Astro, which is a taiwanese catalog frame maker. Basically these companies (khs, motobecane, etc) don't spend money on the R&D for frame designs, and instead slap their stickers on Astro designed bikes. Astro owns the IP/frame design and companies license them. The only reason I know this is because my previous DH bike was a KHS dh300 and I was researching the frame design and came across the above information.

Motobecane bikes are made by a company called Kinesis Industries. From what I understand, kinesis also makes GT, Santa Cruz, Diamondback, and a bunch of other bikes. Basically these companies don't own their own manufacturing facilities in Taiwan. In this case it's owned by Kinesis, and Kinesis churns out bikes for all sorts of companies that are sold over here.

Under no circumstances would I buy a DH bike from a rental fleet. These bikes get thrashed beyond belief and are not maintained properly. Best bang for the buck is definitely purchasing used. Many filthy rich groms need new DH bikes every year. Check the pinkbike discount rack at the end of the year you'll find some amazing gems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom