Moon Shadows are Evil

Nice write up. Never been to Pitt, so the pics are cool to see. good pics of the hills and cobbles.

Really cool that you had 4 business trips around the country and made the effort and took the time to ride each place.

Good luck with your move across the river to PA, but don't expect a lower PA state-resident rate for the Fool's Classic.

Great write-up - and thanks for the good thoughts but I'm pretty sure I'd be hike-a-biking the tops of some of those hills. Last time I was there was in the late 70s when I was going to Penn State - most of my friends were Pittsburgh guys - we went to a Blue Oyster Cult concert - awesome show as I (barely) remember

The co that I work for has a major presence in the city... If all goes well with a new gig I have lined up, I maybe making trips out there. I will give these hillz a rip and I will NEVER pass up a chance to ride Raystown... Points deducted

@Norm my wife is all over wanting to go to the Warhol museum and asked if I rode by it, which I didn't. I sorta understand the significance of his work in that period but for the most part, I'm not sure I get it. That being said, the biggest piece of art work in my house is a framed Warhol print. Well a poster of a print but like 3' x 4'.

@pooriggy Apparently there are some decent trails right in Piitsburgh somewhere. You should ride some of those hills on one of your trips, you won't be disappointed.

@jackx the bike makes these training tolerable even though it is a pain to find a place to rent and cost some $$ but it is well worth it.

@rick81721 When I lived in York, the one radio station would have all request Friday and I would call in every week and request Don't Fear the Reaper, which may be the only BOC song I know.

So we are damn near close to two weeks until closing and have entered the last time we do things at this house. Last time to mow, last time to clean, last time to ride whatever loop from this house. I have been going towards the sourlands more since they will be out of normal riding distance from the new place. The stuff along the river is still within reach so I will still be able to get my fill of that stuff. Shit be happening quick and I am just holding on...

So we are damn near close to two weeks until closing and have entered the last time we do things at this house. Last time to mow, last time to clean, last time to ride whatever loop from this house. I have been going towards the sourlands more since they will be out of normal riding distance from the new place. The stuff along the river is still within reach so I will still be able to get my fill of that stuff. Shit be happening quick and I am just holding on...[/USER]

Good luck on the closing/move. So how close is your house to SAD Uhlerstown??

have entered the last time we do things at this house. Last time to mow, last time to clean, last time to ride whatever loop from this house. I have been going towards the sourlands more since they will be out of normal riding distance from the new place.

This made me sad. Weird to think and realize the Lawrenceville roads won't be yours anymore.

This made me sad. Weird to think and realize the Lawrenceville roads won't be yours anymore.
Yeah, I have practically burned a path in some of these roads. However, they are still game for lunch rides. I was sad that capers loop is currently not ridable due to a bridge being replaced..

Time to ignite activity on the Yardley area segments...

@stb222 ...saw this in yesterday's NY Post...immediately thought of you...Rapha shop ride every week...

20161011_144328.jpg

Chills, Thrills and Hills, Covered Bridges 2016+
For the past few years, I have made two events a priority to be on my riding schedule and that is Hell of Hunterdon in the spring and Covered Bridges in the fall. I have also made a point to ride to and from these events to make for epic days and in the end, is an opportunity for me to get some longer hours in around organized rides, which makes it easier to plan for food and such. This year, I convinced @Mountain Bike Mike to tag along for the entire day, not just for the CB loop proper, which is what he did last year.

Building up to the event, I had been averaging 12-14 hour weeks since the beginning of September and the week before the ride was no different, however I did rest on Saturday because I wasn’t quite ready for 40’s, wind and rain on Saturday morning (we have all winter for that jazz). In September, I was also going for 60 hours, which always seemed to allude me in the past, usually getting stuck at 57/58. I was successful in reaching the 60 hours mark so was just chilling at the beginning of October.

The closer Sunday came, the higher the forecasted winds were, so I kept modifying the route to try and keep us out of the wind on the way up, even though it would be more of a cross wind. In that process, I found a few new climbs to try.

On Sunday morning, I met Mike at 6AM at the park and ride in Yardley and on the way there the legs felt heavysaurus rex, but not too worried at the start of an 8 hours day, plenty of time to warms up. One thing that is a plus or minus about the Bucks County area is that it is basically always up and down unless you are right at the river. So from a warm-up perspective, that is kinda stinky. So to warm up, we rode on the River Rd for all of a mile before going up. Nothing crazy, just rolling stuff but always seems more of a chore going up right away. Hit some of my normal stuff and go up Eagle Road, which is the meanest of the stuff right here, well other than the Bowman’s Tower climb, but like most hills around here, less than 5 min. of discomfort.

We make our way through our first covered bridge and up and over the hill west of New Hope. Aquatong Road is almost a straight shot NW but for the most part is fairly protected from the hard west wind. Even though it is straight, it is a great road with constant up and downs. Somewhere on this road, Mike is admiring the dawn light and rides off the road and barely saves it going 25-30 MPH. I tell him he used one of his 9 lives for the day on that one. #lucky (1. because he didn’t die and 2. because he didn’t have to leave me in the awkward position of leaving his broken ass right there, I thank the man jesus for not having to make that choice).

We made our way into Carversville and normally I would have went up Wismer Road, which is a bear of a climb that is fairly exposed to the wind, so I knew it would be death on this day. I found another climb, Fretz Mill, which goes up the same ridge but in the trees. Strava segment was in the 11%-14% range so it looked to be a nice one. Looking at the rock face on the way there, I told Mike that somehow we will be up there in a min and soon enough we found the road and immediately go up. Steep to start, leveled out and was a straight up tunnel through orange trees. Tons of leaf cover on the road (which was about 10’ wide) would have made for a great picture, but I wasn’t stopping for that noise yet). Can’t say I felt particularly good here. We continue to gradually climb to Ferry Road, which is a ripper of a descent into Point Pleasant. I tell Mike to be careful because there is a steep / sharp turn and if there are leaves, it will be sketchy. Not sure if he heard me because he is bombing this thing and I come around said sharp corner to find him almost hitting the guiderail on the opposite side. Calm down there cowboy. We climb Tohicken Hill, which is a gem of a hill and go down and up by High Rocks and eventually come to the start of the Covered Bridges Ride.

As usual, the start is great for people watching from the pro looking people to people that look like they never rode a bike. It is somewhere in the low to mid 40’s, which is a good temp to see people in a range of clothing from shorts and short sleeves to full on winter kits with booties and balaclavas. I snap this, just general picture.

5B095AAC-5CED-4EA6-ACAA-312CE0A488BB_zpseiajjfip.jpg

After looking at the picture later, I see dead center is one of 1,000 people wearing their yellow jacket’s of authority. A definition for the ill-informed (don’t get mad of the source, @jShort):

YELLOW JACKET OF AUTHORITY // A fluoro yellow wind/shower jacket

In the wild, this is sported by many commuting cyclists and gets its moniker from the smugness and perceived aura of invincibility that seems to emanate from wearers of this garish garment. Also comes in sleeveless version the YVA.

I slam 2 Krispy Kremes, a cup of hot cider, half a cup of meh coffee and top off a bottle. Within maybe 10 min, we are off and weave through the CF of spandex at the start.

The first 5 miles is basically a gradual climb and even though we are already loosened up, we are just chillin. Maybe a mile in a guy on a florescent synapse and all pro’ed out and someone with him that is anything but, come zipping by. I tell Mike, what’s the bet on when we pass them. The synapse dude would randomly sprint away and on a gradual downhill, was sitting on the top tube to be super aero. Typically, the guy would sprint up and eventually Mike and I would catch them just riding a normal pace. At some point, they are drafting us until synapse guy come sprinting around, out of the saddle, in the drops, his friend looking less than pleased he has to keep up with him. And again, we ride consistent and catch up. This goes on for 12? Miles. Somewhere in there, I see this yellow suit of authority, which deserves a picture:

90F652E6-E9A4-4977-B2A0-30B2820D6EE6_zpsv2qhex8q.jpg

That is one lit-up ass.

Knowing the route, I know there is a nice downhill into a longish climb up to the first rest stop, so at the downhill, Mike and I bomb it, make the light at the bottom and synapse dudeman is gone. Climbing the hill to the rest stop, there is a box truck that is waiting to pass and I am on it ready to draft but he accelerates away too quickly and Mike and I miss a free ride.

We end up seeing synapse dudeman as we are leaving the rest stop and Mike brags, talks to him and I say HI and we are off. We never see Vendu again.

After some wind exposure, we are on the tallest part of the route with the longest climb proper. Mike seems to go out harder on climbs than me so I left him go a bit and I am saving a little for a steeper section that never came and at the top I zip off to avoid being C-blocked on the downhill, which I was successful in doing. At the next intersection, we find a group of 5 or 6 riders that are stopped. We pass them but they soon pass up back and we hop on. I see Halter’s bottles and socks, so I know it must be a good crew. I let Mike ahead of me because he died in the last position at HOH.

This group was moving well, but some of the guys were yo-yoing and it was killing me as I am a steady state guy. I take a long pull and then Mike is up and BOOM, break away time! Mike is like 6 lengths off the front and I think the group was like, f-it, let him go. I was at the back wondering what he was doing. I bust his balls when we catch him at a light. Calm down there cowboy.

We stick with this group for a long time, through the next rest stop, through some off-courseness and most of the guys are solid. It appears Mike knows some of them from a ride at Clayton and he can comment who they are as I couldn’t pick their names from a word bank. The middle of the route was changed in a few places but nothing special. It is good to be with the group through the field part of the course. It is mainly a cross wind but wheels to follow is nice. At this point only 3 of 6 are taking pulls, and I am on the front a bit more than I would like. I tell Mike not to kill himself when he is up again and he doesn’t.

At the final rest stop, Mike is taking his 6th pee of the day and the group leaves us. I find the Kandy Cakes at this stop (which is the reason I do this ride) and treat myself to 3 and we finish the route. Only things to note is the bunch of retards taking a group photo in front of the second to last covered bridge, taking up ½ of the roadway in the preferred line, with zero knowledge that they may be doing so. Also, this is where you pass all of the 33 mile route riders, so people watching is in full effect again.

At the end of the CB loop, we top off bottles and head toward Uhlerstown Road. Can’t say I was feeling the best and could have skipped it, but also wanted Mike to ride it, we went over and I took a picture where I always do. Sun gave me nice feels:

D7B408E5-E802-46B3-9C3E-4ED367E40474_zps0engfehh.jpg

I took a picture of the Uhlerstown Covered Bridge on the death side
DCFFCACE-90E0-49C8-BBD0-F86C8F6F8E4A_zpsdpkk7hm4.jpg

And then another one with Mike where the gods were shinning down on him
90FC9C0F-6E84-4CDE-B5AD-04E275522B33_zpsqe3jugu4.jpg

Mike goes out hot and I let him go and do my typical catch at the top. After I can see straight again, we talk about how it isn’t that bad because so short and bomb back down Jugtown and make our way across the river through a sea of the 10 mile riders on the bridge with the jackass in front of us think it is a good idea to try and ride with people passing on foot.

We take Horseshoe Bend Road up the ridge, which is a fine road but seriously feels like it goes up forever. Down Warsaw and up Tumble Falls, a favorite of mine and take a little tail wind flyer off the top. Bomb Bryam Kingwood and cross over at Bull Island and take in some pictures on the bridge.
8CDE3F7E-E4DD-49B7-944F-1EF3280AD04B_zpsbw1ornts.jpg

Bridge selfie where I couldn’t see the phone screen

BA71746B-9B6C-4BED-A8F1-172AD533A0DF_zpszxvfcbp5.jpg

Just a tad windy 'Merica!

From here, I was not sure if PA 32 was open and if we could access one of my favorite climbs out of the river as it has been closed for a while. Turns out it is open and we climb up on the ridge again and make our way over to Peddlers Village for a tail wind almost all the way home.

Nothing much else other than we starting see a bunch of cool cars and Mike had to make sure he didn’t stand on a climb for a while. He can chime in on the details (of the cars, not his boner). I am feeling ok and am in the “only 10 more miles” zone, but the little rollers we have to do hurt, but I still have some kick on the flats. I peel off about a mile from where we started so I don’t have to climb back up from the river to my house and roll into my house at 140 miles and just over 8 hours, a new longest ride mileage wise.

All-in all was a great day, good roads, good scenery, good treats and good company. In the end, Mike didn’t die, which I know he mind f’ed seven ways to Sunday before the ride and probably more since he didn’t die. I know he put in some serious hours to avoid what happened at HOH this year and honestly, I think he was feeling better than me at the end, so chapeau to that.

Chills, Thrills and Hills: CB 2016+

End of an Era
So earlier this year, I had big hours months in January, February and March that kicked started my year mileage wise. I have always loosely wanted to go for the 10,000 miles in a year milestone, but I never want to be a slave to the mileage. In May, I was a few hundred mileage ahead and I told myself, if I was close after I moved in June (only 38 hours that month! Rest month!) then I may go for the 10,000 mark. So I just barely was on par and after June so I loosely committed. After a low hours August due to work and that f-u humidity we were having, I was barely keeping ahead, but 60 hours and over 1,000 miles in September and 49 so far this month, I have a few hundred mile cushion. Sooo, that is the goal. I am not sure why, I think it is more, just because I am able. But once I reach it, if I reach it, it will largely end the mileage milestone portion of my riding life….

Nice, you seem to be racking up the miles these days while most of the regulars are doing less.
How many miles was it to do just the covered bridges ride?
You should do tour of Battenkill, do they still do that ? or a similiar type race/ride. CB is a place for yellow jackets and folks winding down the season looking to get a scenic day in before it gets too cold for them to ride.

Nice, you seem to be racking up the miles these days while most of the regulars are doing less.
How many miles was it to do just the covered bridges ride?
You should do tour of Battenkill, do they still do that ? or a similiar type race/ride. CB is a place for yellow jackets and folks winding down the season looking to get a scenic day in before it gets too cold for them to ride.
Covered bridges is around 63-65.
Tour of battenkill was moved to May and didn't hear much of it this year.
Covered bridges is a great event and exactly what you said.

After looking at the picture later, I see dead center is one of 1,000 people wearing their yellow jacket’s of authority. A definition for the ill-informed (don’t get mad of the source, @jShort):

YELLOW JACKET OF AUTHORITY // A fluoro yellow wind/shower jacket

Lol...

I mean... This is screaming for a meme. If I wasn't all sickly with a pounding headache, I'd come up with something.

IMG_4400.JPG

Solid recap Dude and good times.

Your take on a warm up had me close to barfing up my breakfast. That... And I probably ate too much.

Usually I ride alone at 6am and was not prepared for all the talking so early. Of all the yapping, the Moonshadows explanation was the most interesting.

First near death experience - Total dipshit moment. Glad I didn't die.

Second NDE - I didn't hear the warning. That was a tricky save. Probably wouldn't have died, more like serious injury.

Top tube dude's name was Vadim, he thought you were cute and was impressed by your descending prowess and wanted to know if we were a couple. I let him know you were available. ;) look out for a strava invite from him.

Rut row
B381276F-593B-4913-9E90-0E4C01E787D9_zpspf2l6805.jpg

My breakaway - haha. I paid for that later, thankfully we missed a turn and went way off the route... that gave me the break I needed to get my shit together.

Uhlerstown Rd at mile 100 - PLANNED ROUTE... WTF? :dead:

The cars around Frenchtown and Peddler's village were awesome... 56 Porsche 356 convertible, 68 442 rag top, Audi R8 to name a few of the nicest... A shit ton of late model porsches, masseratis. Lots of big $$ cars out on Sunday. That porsche 356 and 442 definitely had me sport'n wood.

wood do again.

AND - No vagina or tampon references.... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
If MBM would have taken a dirt nap, would you have stayed with him until the ambalamps came?
40's, ouch. based on the first photo looks like it was a 30 degree start.
yellow pant legs = fire
MBM yoyo story reminds me of one time me, capers and SeanT were riding. the three of us would rotate and when Sean go to the front he would just sprint and put 5 bikes on us. Eventually he would come back. after the third time, me and capers decided to drill it after he came back to us and let him hang out to dry. he got it eventually. I wonder what Sean is doing now?
6 bathroom breaks? holy crap
i messaged you before, 140 miles sounds like death, even with watching you two bros bromance the whole time. maybe if @UtahJoe was riding i could do it

Back
Top Bottom