Moon Shadows are Evil

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
EchoEchoechoechoechoecho :D

instead of showering at home you could always do the alcohol rub down at work. if you want to get fancy and convenient, i use sani-hands, which we keep around the house for my 2 year old. works great for getting rid of smell and getting yourself presentable and the wipes come in nice little packages that are easy to store in a jersey pocket.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
instead of showering at home you could always do the alcohol rub down at work. if you want to get fancy and convenient, i use sani-hands, which we keep around the house for my 2 year old. works great for getting rid of smell and getting yourself presentable and the wipes come in nice little packages that are easy to store in a jersey pocket.

maybe I will try that, i still feel nasty though...

RNG1

Live Blog Post:

tumblr_l9u33vn4ff1qc16aho1_500.jpg

Did you get the matching fishnets?

rlb

It sure does suck trying to figure out what to do with the wet clothes in my cube though.

I was thinking that, and then you typed it. Are you psychic?

Sorry for the hijack....the no shower thing sucks. I recently moved and am now 1 mile from my office. So I rode in after lunch yesterday (2 mile route to avoid some majorly crappy roads). Anyway, I was a sweaty pig after 2 miles and I felt like crap for the rest of the day.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I’m too pretty to commute
I need a shower. Actually, I probably could have gotten in there this morning before they ripped the old shower out, but I choose not to chance in it. I could have just showered at home and then rode in, which I have done before, but I have to be home alittle early, so I drove in to save time. Based on my rides this week, I knew I could use alittle rest, but I also didn’t want to waste the primo morning out there, so I took a 40 min ride with no hills to speak of and maintained a higher than normal cadence. At only one section did I have alittle more burning than I would have liked, but nothing bad. Twas a beautiful morning and while no moon shadows, the skies were starting to clear up. It was officially my first ride in the 40’s, but just barely. Felt really good to get a little crispness in the air after the wet days we have had. I would like to share my garmin data on this killer ride, but you will have to wait until a later date:
picture.php

It dawned on me yesterday that I could have used the womens shower in the gym, which I assumed would be unoccupied since the gym is “closed”. I will check later in the day to see if they actually locked the door (electronic lock with access by key thingy), which I doubt they went to the trouble of doing, so if I can get in later today, I will use the women’s shower tomorrow.

RLB made a comment about riding a few miles in an being nasty. It is tough to ride without getting sweaty, but unless a hill is involved, a mile or two ride is the distance where you don’t have to even change clothes. However, I find that commuting much more distance than that requires some level of preparedness, even for the casual rider. Really, it is a pain in the ass, but once you get some of the right gear and such, it is fine. To address the wet clothes question, I took this picture of under my desk this morning:
picture.php

I installed two hooks to hang my towel, but I need to get some more so I can actually hang a jersey under there. After wet rides, or rides in the summer where my riding clothes are wet from sweat, the fan makes a huge difference in help stuff dry if I am planning to ride at lunch or have to ride home. I am not a huge fan of putting on a wet chamois, and this helps with that. One downside is that if my kit is really stinky, the fan blows that stink all over, so sometimes I have to turn it off because I don’t wish that on anyone and I am sure the 3 girls that sit in my quad don’t think much of it either. Unless I am annoyed at one of them, then I put it on high. You can seem some of my other effects in that area, of which the lake box helps to lay stuff out on, again to help it dry. I must have brought the box in initially to not display the purchase in the garage or something.

Speaking of Déjà vu from yesterday:
Those of you who read my last thread may remember the 30’ statue and me having to check to see what color undies that giant babe was wearing. A few month ago I was driving by my gargantuan vixon on a raining day from about 100’ away I see a few people standing there looking at her. I kept thinking, WTF are those people thinking? I soon realized that I had been fooled:
picture.php

These people too must have wondered the color of her panties and in this case the girl is the freaky one as she is pointing, thinking, we have to go over these so I can see them!
picture.php

There is also a working couple turned on by those giant gams
picture.php

Apparently I am not the only one turned on by the thought of a 30’ woman as both of these guys are showing some serious PDA and getting there handful of ass. I guess in this case the sculptor is the one turned one and he/she was the one placing the hands in said positions. Actually, I have to say the sculptor did a fine job on this tushy
picture.php

This guy is alittle more gentlemen like in that he appears to be just softly grazing the ass. And apparently this girl is a freak also, since she must have positioned herself so that while she is kissing she can getting a little peak-e-peak up the big lady's skirt. Man, that dude is so getting some tonight
picture.php

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
That's pretty funny. But you're still a sick puppy.:rolleyes:
BTW did you read your post from yesterday?

rlb

Interesting cubicle setup. I think sweaty riding gear would be a great smell for my work area. We have one of those people who wears a bottle of WAY too strong perfume each day. The kind of stuff that lingers for 20 minutes after she walks by. When it's not windy I can walk outside and smell whether or not she has walked through the parking lot at the end of the day. True story. Anyway, crank up that fan and piss off the ladies. Some work entertainment is fun now and then :D

And thanks for "murse" I used that one a few times today.

Those statues are pretty kinky....wonder which is the bigger freak?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Friday
This no shower at work thing is annoying and they emailed later in in the day that the gym wont be open under next Thursday, but whatever, I will deal. I ended up just riding in and enjoyed the cool weather as you can get to work without having to worrying about sweating too much. At lunch I rode a few miles to get lunch and sat on a step somewhere to eat as it was a awesome day out. Hopefully we gte a bunch more of these days before the weather turns.

Today
The wife had something all day today (and tomorrow) and I had planned on riding early this morning before she left. My son was up like 15 times last night so I decided not to ride since I was feeling tired the last few days anyways and decide alittle sleep would do me good.

I also thought about going to the sourlands TM, but decided against it since it would just be a pain to get my 3 year old there and at sourlands he probably would have killed himself on the rocks, so I opted out of that. After some playing outside and putting up some halloween stuff, we put the flats and short seatpost on the ewr and headed to the trails (jumps). I used to bu8ild and ride trails all the time and ironcially when I moved within a mile of my local trails, I stopped riding 20". Back in the summer I realized it was ridiculous that I live so close and had a bike that is jumpable and I dont ride the trails. So I started going every once and awhile and built alittle and rode alittle. While I am not jumping anything big, I did start riding some of the smaller set and the pump line they have. I remembered how much I loved jump and building. There is really no other type of riding that gives your that feeling when you jump. I also find it incredibly satisfying to build the jumps and make them better for everyone who rides them

So we headed back to the trails and there was a lip I was waiting to work on after we got some rain. After getting some shovels and a rake out I worked on one set that needed help for about 45 min while my son helped with the watering can and throwing alittle dirt where I instructed. It is actually nerve racking having my son there as I have to keep to sharp eye to make sure he isnt chopping a lip or a pit out of something. He was pretty good today though. So after fixing this set, I rode the section 4 or 5 times while my son yelled, ready, set, go every time I started. It was time for lunch so we left, there some rocks in the creek for a fin min and then stopped at 7-11 for a slurpee. On the way back to my house i thought It doesn't get much better than this

picture.php

Here is what my ewr look like as an SS and a dirt jumper.
picture.php

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Sunday
Wife is gone all day on Sunday again and I am fresh of ILBU’s (In-law Bargaining Units), so it was a short early ride for today. While these rides are my norm, I get tired of the shorter routes and as of late it has been bothering me enough. No so much that I don’t ride, but just annoying. I woke up to find my outside thermometer not working, so I had to resort to the weather channel, which tends to be alittle warmer than where I live and the direction I ride to. But it was a good gauge as I knew it was gonna be in the low 40’s and TWC said 44 in Trenton. Excellent! I wore the Halter’s LS wool jersey for the first time this season and was mucho excited about that. I also tried out the Assos early winter gloves as they are rated down to 43. The air was cool and crisp and just felt damn perfect. It was clear out, however no moon. Did my normal morning loop and was playing around with cadence a tad on the climbs as I have compact gearing now. The 34 is nice when you want to spin a high cadence on climb, but you are trading your heart exploding for your legs hurting, so pick your poison. On the Pleasant Valley climb I did settle into a nice 80 RPM, which felt really good. Still experimenting to see what works best for me. Also put the garmin cadence and speed transmitter on the synapse, so will have cadence data and real speed when I ride this bike. Please, try and contain yourself.
The assos gloves felt super nice and not sweaty one bit. After downloaded the file the temp said 37.4, which was really nice because there wasn’t any wind. So they performed below the 43 dgeree rating, which isn’t a surprise. It was also for a very short time too.
Cool mornings are the snizzle.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52580240

After my son woke up, we went to run some errands and then came back for a quick trail session. The weather was absolutely stellar and it may have been the perfect day temp wise with the cool morning and 70’s during the day. Tried to get my son to bring his balance bike, but all he wanted was his shovel. I am glad he is turning out to be one of the guys that digs first and then rides, which is the way it should work. He said he would bring his bike next time. He can start practicing the rollers. Made alittle video since I had a helper to push the button on the camera. Nothing special. BTW, that was not an active lip he was shaping.

Father-Son Trail Time

Today
More darkness and semi cool temps, different route. Felt good. Pushed alittle bit in areas.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52580231

Skills
Since there was a positive response to my how to clean logs video (see below if you missed it), I want to do a few more if people are interested. I take for granted the skills I have acquired from riding bmx and trials and think people can benefit from seeing some of the basic stuff. Here are some thoughts:

Manualing and pumping trail features
Riding onto/off small ledges
Trackstands and pedal control

Any thoughts?

How to Clean Logs

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Skills
Here are some thoughts:

Manualing and pumping trail features
Trackstands and pedal control

Any thoughts?

i'm all for it. i spend all my time on my ass when i attempt to manual.

you've inspired me to take my son along next time i put in time with the shovel. i was thinking about doing it on sunday, but just didn't pull the trigger.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I vote this one, specifically off. I'd like to see a video not only showing how to drop off something and land flatly, but do the same thing and land poorly like most of us end up doing. Not being able to do small stuff is why I would never try anything with size, because I can't get a small drop right unless I seem to get a little lucky. Granted, this isn't something I ever practice at so that may be 90% of my problem. But pointing out what does and doesn't work might be helpful.

Pumping trail features would be interesting, but as odd as it sounds I think that's a little advanced and many people would have no idea what you're really getting at. I think you'd need to think about that one a bit so you explain it properly. Maybe get Bill involed in this as well because this is something he's big on.

RNG1

...but you are trading your heart exploding for your legs hurting, so pick your poison

This is exactly what I have been battling with lately. Talk more about this maybe it will somehow fix my problem in my head.

I asked my wife about the video suggestion and she suggested I ride off a really big ledge. How bout hopping a barrier with a cx bike video? CX is the new MTN ya know....

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd like to see something on cornering, although I think it might not translate so well on video. And all of that stuff above would be helpful too.

THATmanMANNY

Dropping = no guts no glory. So if you have your panties in a bunch you started on the wrong foot. EASY

I vote pumping a manual! Now that is skill!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yesterday was a rest day because of the forecasted rain and I have vowed to only ride when it is above 50’s and clear or sunny out so I can avoid even thinking about cold weather and at what point I would break the lakes out. Besides that, the only time to ride would have been at lunch and that damn gym is still closed, so no shower which equals no riding. Well, could tool around on the fixe or something, but wasn't in the mood.

On a day of ANOTHER 20 mile ride before work and one with no garmin, the only think I can talk about is the awesome morning out there. Clear, low 40’s and stars aplenty. On crusher road out of Hopewell, I did some star gazing and found the 2 or 3 constellations that I know, Orion being one of them. The pre-dawn this morning was nice too. Other than that, I did the same route as Monday but in the opposite direction. Not sure which way is better but I am becoming fond of this route for a flatter ride than my other morning loop.

Tubeless
On Mondays ride I rode on my first section of road where the tubeless tires made a big difference. The road has a bunch of cracks perpendicular to the road and they are around every 20 – 40’ (the road likely has a concrete base) and it is pretty annoying to ride, however on Monday you could barely feel said cracks with the lower pressure of the tubeless tires. So while I am not completely sold on if you need tubeless, it made a difference in this case.

Videos
So it looks like someone wanted the different options I threw out there except for the trackstanding/ pedal control one. I was more looking for that one to about how to pedal kick, which is the way trials guys gap things from their back wheel and one way you can hop onto a high ledge/curb sideways. It does help on technical trails sometimes but only in special circumstances, so that one goes to the bottom of the list.

Good comments from Norm on pumping trails features and doing ledges. Pumping stuff is dependent on the trail, so it may be hard to find some of those areas that will show that on a video. This will end up being its own video as manualling doesn’t necessarily apply except for where manny mentioned on manualling/pumping rollers, which I will include in the manualling video as there are a bunch of places to do this at six mile. It is also easy for me to get that video since there are rollers at the local jumps and I manualled some in the video I posted on Monday, just need to get a better side shot.

So the first video will probably be manualling since I can do that right in front of my house. The second will be ledges, but it may be mainly based on riding off a small loading dock, but the technique is the same. Pumping stuff may be 3rd or maybe doing a pedal kick one. I could do a short one on nosing in to things, but that is along the lines of the pumping one too.

Cold Weather Gear
The time is here. The Hat’s thread looks to be the preferred place to talk about it since he had cold toes in the 50’s. I really don’t think there is any one shoe or glove that works for everyone, but it is nice to know what really sucks. In winter shoe talk, I nikiwaxed the lakes over the weekend but really don’t plan on using them until at least December. Hopefully not before, but a wet and cold ride might warrant them. Time will tell..

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thursday

Yet again, another one hour ride. Actually, I managed to break the one hour mark with a hefty 1:15. I needed extra recovery after that effort. The legs weren’t there on this ride and I sunk like a rock every time the road point up, even slightly. I ended up make this ride my commute because I didn’t get up early enough, so I was carrying my bag which changes things alittle bit, but shouldn't be this much. I did avoid one hill by taking a paved path on the old trolley line in Princeton and then cutting through via another MUT. Both paths were in various states of disrepair and on my cross bike it was alittle jarring. Maybe I will put tubeless tires on this bike.:hmmm: I was running alittle later than expected too, so I took the canal to my work and the entire canal was covered bank-to-bank with fog about 5’ high. I took a picture below but it didn’t capture how cool it looked or how thick the fog was. It was another cool morning.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52960987

picture.php

Upon arriving to work, I found that the gym was not open yet (now we here it will open on Monday, annoying!) and I did not have a shower, nor did I have wipes of any sort, so it was a stinky day for me. I could only wipe off with my towel and apply deodorant to mask any funk, which we know doesn’t really work and ends up creating a smell all its own. In the summer I would have surely grabbed a company car and went home to shower, but with the cooler temps, I didn’t sweat like crazy, so I think I was ok not to shower. My hair did look like a greasy mess though.
The ride home was wet, really wet. I had fitted new fenders to this bike on Wednesday night, but I took them off since I didn’t want to succumb to them just yet. It would not have mattered since it was pouring anyways but it was the first cold rain for me this season.

Today
No riding since the not having a shower at work just makes it annoying to ride, shower at home and then come to work. It is only because I am used to the routine and changing it is annoying. We have our last breast cancer event tonight in Philly so alittle extra sleep this morning was not a bad thing.

This weekend
Tomorrow is a longer ride, which I have been itching for. I was going to do the 6 mile double TT, but the trail conditions may keep me away, it would leave me pressed for time and I am not sure I want to do the whole first lap in the dark. I am thinking a hilly ride in PA in honor the Covered Bridges ride I will be missing on Sunday will be in order. Sunday has the potential for a slightly longer ride as well.

The office condition
On top of Norm’s thread talking about some old music and such, it made me think about a conversation I had last Friday with one of our new entry level employees, which is 23. I didn’t have a first impression of her relating to what kind of music she listened to but if someone would have asked, I would have said country. Anyways, last week she asked if I could hear the music she was playing at her desk, and I responded “no”. I followed that up with, “what are you listening too” to which she responded “incubus” to which I responded “sorry to hear that”. So next she asked (and she wasn’t trying to be funny about it, totally serious) she says “what kind of music does you listen to, like folk music?” to which I responded “folk music?, are you f’ing kidding me, FOLK music!”. I really set her ass straight by telling her a bunch of hardcore/post hard core and punk bands she never even heard of that I did or once listened too.

Folk music, seriously?

I mean jesus, look at the angst on my face below as I played the drums in a sound proof room in the basement of a dorm freshman year. Does that look like we are playing folk music to you?
picture.php

Man, I am a badass.

In a professional office nothing is as it seems. Except for 95% of the people in the office, who really are exactly how they are in the office, especially when you work in an engineering office. It is tough though to define yourself even in a casual office. Even though I am one of the more causal dressers in our office, when I walk in Halters at lunch, I look like a tool with my polo shirt and khakis. With that said, I still don’t know where the hell folk music came from. That was almost as bad when one of the girls in the office thought I played golf.:mad:

I guess none of this really matters though as long as you are true to yourself :rolleyes:(I can barely write that without laughing).

This conversation I had did get me thinking about the former versions of myself and how they have added (or take away) from the present me. While I am not going to go down that road right now, I will present some riding pictures comin’ at ‘cha from 97. The start of riding trials on an 18” GT avalanche with what looks like a 200mm stem. Good time, good f’ing times.
picture.php

picture.php

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What the hell, I already used "good times" today.

Folk music. Priceless.

Top Bottom