Moon Shadows are Evil

That's good stuff. My mom is also recent cancer survivor (stomach). It was a tough stretch for a while but we got through it.

She is beautiful. What an honor to be selected and treated like a celebrity!

Kevin, PM me an address so I can mail a check to support you on the ride.

Glad to hear everything went well for you and your wife. Its good to hear about people who thrive after cancer.:)

(snip snip)....:cry::cry:
sad stories always make me cry.
very touchy stuff,kev!

bring home sourvenier will ya,road bike frame (maybe) while you were there:D

Thanks eveyone, for all of the kind comments....

Yesterday evening started the boob events and my wife and i wers in a fashion show for the breast cancer resourcencenter in princeton. It was a good time....

Right before i was keaving, i uploaded the route for todays tour de pink ride and apprently there is a bug with the 500 when you upload from a mac, it freezes onnthe start up screen. So after the fashion show, i was researching how to fix it, without any luck. This morning i even went to my work to try and fix it with a pc, but still no luck. Now i am super annoyed i will have to call about it on monday. So no garmin links for the near future.

Tour de pink, day 2
So i rode in day 2 of the ysc tour de pink today. I had to be in KOP by 8, wheremi registred and had to watch the safety video. The lady told me that i just have to sit there and it is optional to pay attention. So i found the leader of the team i was on, got my jersey and got changed. Saw bill and lisa, chatted for a min and we were off.

I started off near the front, but with one of my team member. At the 2nd hill i lost him and before i knew it, i was by myself. There was a group up ahead and no one behind, so i cuwght up to the group ahead. Two of them were pros, a husband and wife and the other teo looks legit, but who knows, they were super strong and were toying with each other on the hills. Evntually more people caught up, including lenosky and the east coast giant sales manager. There was also a few other people who were serious racers as they were talking about racing in europe. I felt tosllh out of placd, although lenosky had hairy legs, so that made we feel alittle better.

Our group kept growing and we had 10 to 15. We were just chilling and things didnt pick up until close to the delaware where the paced ramps up to 22 or 23 average. At the rest stop in new hope, my wife and son were cheering, which is always great. Soon after, we were in trengon at the mariot. From there i rode home.

So all in all, 94 miles for the day and 5 hours and 20 min. Again, no garmin...

Also no pictures todsy either :(

Finally just got a chance to sit down and read these. Good stuff, keep it up, and thanks for all of the good humanitarian efforts. We both know that you'll fizzle out like a wet firecracker, but while it lasts it's enjoyable. And as awesome as it is to read the wife's story and see her turn into a model, she's got nothing on you and your budding Hat Model career. I too like Castelli stuff for no good reason.

It's 44 out right now, and was 45 yesterday when I rode. When I got home my hands were starting to become less functional with only full-finger summer gloves. And my feet were a little cold with the summer shoes. It's coming hard, really hard, like the fat people at the all-you-can-eat buffet when the fresh pan of french fries comes out.

Can I post all my non-PC stuff here?

Hey Kev, Great news and great write up!!! It goes without saying I that I am very happy the chips fell in your families favor:)

Spence

Photo

Live Blog Post:

tumblr_l9rzxy1GoF1qc16aho1_500.jpg

Oh the fizzle

With the awesome words of encouragement from McCheese himself, I continue with this thread with the ever looming fizziling on the horizon. I am really starting to think that Norm's time bending skills are relating to him being able to look into the future. This way he can see what is about to happen an know when he can take an extra hour or two, or scale back. Just think if you knew when something at work was going to hit the fan? You could make sure you were there that day to difuse the situation. You could also do it much quicker because you already had time to think about the solution. This may be explained in the sequel to the The Last Air Bender (which I watched on the long flight from Italy), where Norm, the last time bender, shows that little kid how to bend time. I might go to the theater for that one. I wonder when it comes out.

So a wet firecracker it is and with the rain today and forecasted through Thursday, it is just going to be a soggy week of riding. I give it until Wednesday before people start bitchin it is cold and wet and they can't ride. Don't get me wrong, these first cool and wet days taken alittle extra motivation to get out in, but then you remember it ain't that bad and go about business as usual. Maybe Norm can check ahead to see the best time to ride each day and not get wet? That would be nice.

Yesterday I wanted to at least ride for alittle bit after big miles on Saturday, but it was not to be due to roughly 100 other things going on. I did walk a few miles though with 10,000 other poeple at the Susan G Komen walk so I guess that counts as cross training and recovery since it took 1 hours and twenty minutes to walk 2.5 miles (!). I am pretty sure I could have crawled faster than that if I was given the chance.

Today I brought my bke to work and rode at lunch. It was not raining when I left but the roads were wet. I have not given into the fenders yet, but that time is approaching rapidly. It was 55 degrees, which is about the border between throwing them on and not riding with them. Started out on my normal lunch route and the legs were a bit tight. I drafted a truck for a solid mile and it was nice and warm from the exhuast, well worth the lung damage. I wore lightweight wool socks for the first time this season, which I was very exicted about since they are so damn snuggly. Felt ok during the ride and there was light rain on an off. about 2 miles from my work, it started to pour, so the fenders would not have made a difference anyways. Towards the end of the ride, the toes were a tad chilly and fingers alittle stiff, only to the point of just barely worth noting. Like norm said, the cold weather is close. While I wished for the cold weather, it would be nice if it were dry and cold too, at least until I get used to the cold.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/51708278

In the locker at work, the shower base has been cracked ever since I started usuing the shower 2 years ago. Someone must have stepped right on the crack and now there is a 5" wide hole right next to the drain (see above). You can see the the water washed away the foundation of the base and there appears a 6" gap between the base and the dirt below. I am no expert, but that doesn't seem too good. On top of that, the holder for the removable shower head is gone, so the shower is kind of chilly when you hand the shower head on the side. In any case, I took a shower anyways and watched the watch fill up the cavity beneth the hole. Man, I would be scared shitless is a rat or something comes out of the hole.....

Goals
So where is my riding going? Who knows. I think my mileage goal this year was around 6000, which should be no problem since I just based 5,000 at the end of September. I am thinking of racing a cross race, maybe jamesburg, but we will see what else is happening. I have been thinking a bunch about racing but it is just so much of a time commiment for the day of the race and I care not for taking 4 - 5 hours to race for an hour and a half or less. Man, I wish we had a series local to the princeton area. I would be all over that. So until that time, I can't see myself racing really at all.

I highly advise regular toenail cutting at this time of year. When you jam your big toe through a $4 pair of socks it's one thing. But when you ruin an $18 pair of double braised Kevlar wool socks woven in Milan by MIT educated monkeys, it sucks. Then when you look at that big ugly thing sticking out it makes it all the worse. Big toes with long skanky toenails are gross. People with foot fetishes are mentally unstable.

I highly advise regular toenail cutting at this time of year. When you jam your big toe through a $4 pair of socks it's one thing. But when you ruin an $18 pair of double braised Kevlar wool socks woven in Milan by MIT educated monkeys, it sucks. Then when you look at that big ugly thing sticking out it makes it all the worse. Big toes with long skanky toenails are gross. People with foot fetishes are mentally unstable.

I am at a loss for words :D

Tuesday

More rain and cool temps and I wasn’t too surprised to a thread complaining about not being able to ride because of the rain. I thought that wouldn’t happen until today, but I guess I underestimated that most people are at that level yet. Level meaning your ride regardless of the conditions and they have little impact on if you will/ will not ride. Another lunch ride was on tap as the boss is out of the office thought wed, so I wanted to take advantage of a slightly extended lunch ride. Headed out my normal lunch way but took alittle detour in north Princeton. It was low 50’s and misting, which was quite enjoyable. The steady downpour towards the end of the ride was less enjoyable but nothing to complain about. It sure does suck trying to figure out what to do with the wet clothes in my cube though. Nothing out of the ordinary.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/51828160

Today

Check the pic above and you will see that I had my first ginger bread clif bar of the season. I was stoked to get these as they are yummy to eat before rides. Alittle sweet during, but still good. Set out on at 5:15 as I was expecting a non-cloudy, cool morning, which it was not. Took the easy way to Capersville and the harder way out. Really fizzled on the top of the Pleasant Valley Road climb, which is probably from not being recovered from the last couple of days on top of the longer ride over the weekend. Felt good overall with the ride.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/51911732

Ass-to-the-os
My assos early winter gloves car today, which are pictured above and I am anxious to try them. The gloves alone are rated by assos (and stitched into the cuff, in case you forget) between 43 and 54 degrees. With a liner, they are rated 32 – 46 and with the the liner, glove and lobster shell, 21 to 43. I think they can go lower than that, but wont know for sure until it gets down that low. I knew they would be too warm in the 50’s if it wasn’t raining as they have the same windblocker material as the lobster shells, so I didn’t try them at lunch on Tuesday. They also have a porous looking neoprene-like material (but softer and more flexible) material on the palm, with some padding and grippy palm areas. They also have a long cuff that goes well past the wrist. I can tell you that they are not for the mtb, or falling on a road bike, as the palm would be torn to shreds if it met pavement or dirt.
I wore them this morning since it was right around 50, but I knew they would be too warm. My hands were not sweaty until the end, but at no point were they clammy in the hour and a half I wore them. The fit is very nice and fitted, but not tight. I can get my gore liners in there (not this morning) without them feeling like bulky ski gloves. One downside is the lack of a soft thumb to wipe your snot but the long cuff is soft and I used that, however with a ls jersey, that wont be an option. The material on the top of the glove is alittle rough to wipe your nose with. Nothing else to report yet, but I look forward to trying these out and then seeing if the glove system (substitute gore liners for assos liners) works out ok in cold temps.

Garmin
As you noticed, my edge 500 is working again and I think working better than it ever did. I called Garmin on Monday and after waiting on hold for 35 min, the customer service guy had it fixed in about another 25 min. At first, everything he had me try didn’t work and he kept sayin “well that is funny”. It was on the tip of my tongue to respond “not that funny” but I wasn’t annoyed enough at that point. Eventually he had my format the unti from my PC and that fixed everything. All of my settings were set back to default, hence the lap at every 5 miles, but that is a minor inconvenience. I am just glad that I did not have to send it back. I also updated the firmware after the call and now elevation data seems to be more consistent, or at least looks better on the graphs.

The rest of the week
The shower at work is closed the next 2 day, so not sure what I am going to do about riding since I usually ride early on those days and shower at work. Guess I will just have to wake my wife and son up by taking a shower at home for once. Other than that, not sure what the weekend has in-store riding wise.

The shower at work is closed the next 2 day, so not sure what I am going to do about riding since I usually ride early on those days and shower at work. Guess I will just have to wake my wife and son up by taking a shower at home for once. Other than that, not sure what the weekend has in-store riding wise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom