Mooch Madness! Racing at Allamuchy Returns!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've got the mousetrap and you've got the venue. The Allamuchy scout camp property is the ideal place for a true MTB event. The trick in my opinion is to keep the actual race simple, challenging and doable for a wide range of riders. 3 or 4 classes maximum, no crazy prizes or swag and cheap entry fees. Keep the public input to a minimum because you can't please everyone. So my idea would be a 9 hour race with a start time right after sunrise. No lights needed, basic manual time keeping, and a lap that would take the average sport rider 60 minutes or so and the leg shavers 40 minutes to complete. Solo men, solo women, 2 person teams and SS. That's it.

I more or less agree with this with 1 addition. You need to announce it as early as possible. Our biggest issue in the past is that we announce too late and everyone has out-of-town plans already. Anyone with kids needs to figure out what to do the last week of summer because all the camps close. It's February 17th today, and we have all the kids signed up for camps because they fill up by March, and even then we're on a wait list for 1 of the weeks because it was full already. We already know what the whole summer looks like by mid-winter.

If you want to really make it happen it needs to be on the radar in January. Even as of today, a good portion of potential riders have vacation plans.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Even though MTBNJ is about as far away from enduro as I can think, did someone else already claim the mooch enduro crown? I seem to remember that being done last year? Maybe an enduro format that as more XC draw that all-mountain / downhill?

thedoner

The reasons given above are all perfectly logical. Still, it baffles me that people don't have a stronger desire to race there. We all love to ride Mooch, it stands to reason we would love to race there as well. It make me want to cry in my Cornflakes.
Maybe a 9 hour race is the answer...I dunno. And yeah, I'd be peeved if there wasn't a Masters class.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
I've been fighting year after year for a 24 miles of allamuchy race.
I'm huge on gimmicks. But I don't race. .
I retired after talking home a first place trophy at the very last 24 hour race there.

gtluke

The Moped
what do you mean?
My team didn't even have to cheat ;)
IMAG0236.jpg

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i think i figured it out, once you retired, 24 hour racing retired too, WE NEED LUKE BACK! nothing like the joy of winning, when i won my only cross race last year, it was a good feeling, no one can take that away from you

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
9 to 5 at Allamuchy. 9AM-5PM. It's a "work day"-duration race.

Maybe we can get Dolly Parton to show up.

Last edited:

SpartaBard

i think i figured it out, once you retired, 24 hour racing retired too, WE NEED LUKE BACK! nothing like the joy of winning, when i won my only cross race last year, it was a good feeling, no one can take that away from you

I wonder if Lance A. feels differently...

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Even though MTBNJ is about as far away from enduro as I can think, did someone else already claim the mooch enduro crown? I seem to remember that being done last year? Maybe an enduro format that as more XC draw that all-mountain / downhill?

I think the extent of our discussion of doing an enduro has been matty and I saying: "man thats a cool idea, we should do one somewhere someday" I have done a few now and I really like the format, its a very fun day. The one that Jason and the gang put on at mooch was really fun, im hoping they do it again someday. (HINT :) ) But there is the scoring system, how it works, what it costs, how much volunteer effort is involved...just alot of things that we really haven't looked into. Maybe someday.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think the extent of our discussion of doing an enduro has been matty and I saying: "man thats a cool idea, we should do one somewhere someday" I have done a few now and I really like the format, its a very fun day. The one that Jason and the gang put on at mooch was really fun, im hoping they do it again someday. (HINT :) ) But there is the scoring system, how it works, what it costs, how much volunteer effort is involved...just alot of things that we really haven't looked into. Maybe someday.

couldnt one of the "courses" be a short track race?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
for an enduro stage? No im pretty sure that might cause a riot :) Typically an enduro stage is mostly downhill.

Well that is the XC racing's website to change it up. There are enduro stages that have uphills so target the more complete rider, which most of the people are anyways as they are typically trail riders unless they solely ride at bike parks.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trexler put on a more of x/c enduro last fall, I know Ben competed but never heard his review which may say a lot. What would you pay to do an enduro? The timing is expensive. Mooch skyline ringwood sourlands all would make for a great series. Let's not forget NJs only enduro at creek has a great turn out. Loved to see this format locally, even go buy me another bike N+1 baby...

Top Bottom