Mooch Madness! Racing at Allamuchy Returns!

gtluke

The Moped
I meant running in terms of getting off your bicycle and running because you couldn't ride your bicycle
jingle-cross-rock-cyclocross-2008-047.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Will a normal bike not work on the Iditarod Trail?

Once you add the weight of all the gear you need to carry, a standard width tire will just cut into the snow. Riding a groomed trail doesn't mean that it's packed enough for a normal bike. Tuscobia for example didn't have any sections that you ride with a regular mountain bike.

Those races are what these bikes were originally designed for, very few people who own them use them for their intended purpose. I think that's why it's so easy to make fun of them. It's like that guy that buys a Hummer to drive around in the City.

gtluke

The Moped
It's like a history lesson in fat bikes every time someone asks why the rims are offset on my pug.
Why would you want to run a 2nd rear wheel on the front? Why are there so many bosses for panniers?
Cause these bikes were made for psychopaths.

gtluke

The Moped
Yes, my point, from what I've heard, you had more running in the fat bike race than a cyclocross race? Amirite doe?
I have no idea. I don't race bikes.
Don't put me on some side like I give a shit who's bike is stupider.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Once you add the weight of all the gear you need to carry, a standard width tire will just cut into the snow. Riding a groomed trail doesn't mean that it's packed enough for a normal bike. Tuscobia for example didn't have any sections that you ride with a regular mountain bike.

Those races are what these bikes were originally designed for, very few people who own them use them for their intended purpose. I think that's why it's so easy to make fun of them. It's like that guy that buys a Hummer to drive around in the City.

Good answer .. makes lot of sense. Here are my observations on what I have noticed so far riding with fat bike people:

- I seem to have a harder time keeping my front wheel in the groomed groove when it's about 1-2 feet wide.
- I seem to get bumped off easier to the side if there a lot of bumpy foot traffic. Fat bikes are not totally immune to this, but seem to be better.
- More traction in some uphills.
- They can probably go faster than I can in ridable snow, given equal rider strength.
- There are some parts I sink and they don't.

But for the most part, I can still ride a lot of most the stuff they can. I guess the scenario would be different in deep groomed stuff like xc ski groomed trails where fat bikes are floating and skinny tire is sinking.

What irks me is when I see stuff like "conditions are good for fat bikes" when I've been riding more in the snow this winter than 99% of fat bikers in NJ.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
What irks me is when I see stuff like "conditions are good for fat bikes" when I've been riding more in the snow this winter than 99% of fat bikers in NJ.

I think many people that own Fat Bikes these days have never spent their winters outside riding before, and this is the first time they've experienced snow riding. A lot of the snow we've gotten so far this year has been very easy to ride on any type of bike. I've only spent 2 or 3 days cutting trail that I wouldn't have been able to ride on a normal bike. If anything, studs VS. non-studs has become more of a separator than tire width.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How many people did the first year? 250 seems like a lot. Shit, I was even there that first year :D

102 which does keep the electric on...

If the mtb community supported this venue at the end of august during monsoon season, we would surely keep the train rolling. That date is always opened to us, if you think of a better mousetrap chime in because we have run out of creative ways for this venue...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It has to be in August? What about an early race instead of one of the short tracks?

we are limited to space during the short tracks as the camp is being used. I have talked about an earlier race, problem is camp is used by scouts pretty much year round. I have no doubt that a middle of the winter race can be had but getting volunteers for that one are slim to none.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Amirite doe?

Yes, to be fair...the ~1/2 of the fat 50 course I rode was more walking/running then all cross I have ever done, combined. But I still had fun.

I've been hearing a lot about fat bikes being the best stepping stone for straight up roadies getting into mountain biking.

This I have seen first hand on pre rides of the fat 50 course....Guys who dont ride mountain bikes period because they are afraid of crashing were finally comfortable on a fat bike. They seemed very happy to be out on dirt (albeit patriots path) and not be terrified of wiping out. The fat bike made them feel like hero.

ryderX

102 which does keep the electric on...

If the mtb community supported this venue at the end of august during monsoon season, we would surely keep the train rolling. That date is always opened to us, if you think of a better mousetrap chime in because we have run out of creative ways for this venue...
I've got the mousetrap and you've got the venue. The Allamuchy scout camp property is the ideal place for a true MTB event. The trick in my opinion is to keep the actual race simple, challenging and doable for a wide range of riders. 3 or 4 classes maximum, no crazy prizes or swag and cheap entry fees. Keep the public input to a minimum because you can't please everyone. So my idea would be a 9 hour race with a start time right after sunrise. No lights needed, basic manual time keeping, and a lap that would take the average sport rider 60 minutes or so and the leg shavers 40 minutes to complete. Solo men, solo women, 2 person teams and SS. That's it.

Top Bottom