Mooch Madness! Racing at Allamuchy Returns!

being plus-sized, a fat bike can roll over rocks faster than one can go around or over on skinny tires. good for desert riding too.
He forgot the sarcasm face, I guess n+1 rule doesn't apply to fatbikes.

It's not for central Jersey race weenies...
So you couldn't think of any ? I was being serious
being plus-sized, a fat bike can roll over rocks faster than one can go around or over on skinny tires. good for desert riding too.
I get the sand riding. But that would get real old real fast to me .

I'm not saying I won't ever get one, I'm just not yet convinced.

I have ridden dp with shoe packed trails that were no way smaller tires would work. Even yesterday soft packed were a challenge and as they became packed more the better it got. Kirstens last loop she rode 90% of the short track course no way was 2.1 tires working on that. Fatties have limitations in snow conditions but have more then skinny tires.
I like them and they fit my style. But plan to keep a SS and DH bike for getting my groove on.

He forgot the sarcasm face, I guess n+1 rule doesn't apply to fatbikes.

I don't have the emoji plugin or whatever is used to post the various faces.

So you couldn't think of any ? I was being serious

I get the sand riding. But that would get real old real fast to me .

I'm not saying I won't ever get one, I'm just not yet convinced.

Could be cool if one lived near the beach or desert.

Anecdotally speaking, bike shop guys said that their fast guys on 29ers could not keep up with other fast guys on fat bikes and said it is more of an advantage to race on fat bike than it is a disadvantage (probably assuming bike weights are similar) because it is faster to roll over everything than pick lines thru the tech.

I've been hearing a lot about fat bikes being the best stepping stone for straight up roadies getting into mountain biking. I think what the fat bikes do best in all conditions is a much much bigger margin of wiping out. A roadie who is already good on a bicycle may catch a root of go too fast on loose over hard pack and wind up on their face. A fat bike almost takes this out of the equation.
On snow you have to try a fat bike downhill on a snowmobile trail. It's an experience not obtainable on a 29er. Climbing and single track its better but not magical. But 25mph + down the fire roads in ringwood is really quite something. It makes climbing up the mess so much more worth it.
And pearl, you own an expensive ass bike that only works well on freshly mowed golf courses. So shut it.

Somehow I can't imagine how I would be faster on fat bike versus my 29er...
The other day i have seen fat bikes in Manhattan bike store. It made me laugh.

And pearl, you own an expensive ass bike that only works well on freshly mowed golf courses. So shut it.

a cyclocross bike is way more versatile than a fat bike

do you have to snow shoe the golf course to ride your fat bike on it? and its soccer fields, not golf courses, we dont want iggy to lose his job by burning a line in around the 9th hole sand trap

pick which martys race had more running it in

a) weekend cyclocross race
2) fat bike race in snow

:popcorn:

So it's only okay if the trail grooming is done by a groundskeeper year round and not a snowmobile? Gotcha.
Martys race capped out btw.

I meant running in terms of getting off your bicycle and running because you couldn't ride your bicycle

I've been hearing a lot about fat bikes being the best stepping stone for straight up roadies getting into mountain biking. I think what the fat bikes do best in all conditions is a much much bigger margin of wiping out. A roadie who is already good on a bicycle may catch a root of go too fast on loose over hard pack and wind up on their face. A fat bike almost takes this out of the equation.
On snow you have to try a fat bike downhill on a snowmobile trail. It's an experience not obtainable on a 29er. Climbing and single track its better but not magical. But 25mph + down the fire roads in ringwood is really quite something. It makes climbing up the mess so much more worth it.
This makes sense to me.

But, fatbikes were over hyped in the beginning. And the people who rode them wouldn't shut up about them, kinda like people who do crossfit. So, people are going to shit on them at every opportunity.

Serious question, how much running/walking is done in this race? Are the conditions usually good enough to ride a lot?

Depends on the weather. And "ride a lot" is always a yes. Many folks have to walk over Rainy Pass, but you're still riding over 1,000 miles even with that. That might not be enough for a Pro like you, but for us normal folks, 1,000 miles in a week is lot of riding.

Back
Top Bottom