Moab Mountain Biking

goodvibe

Greetings!
A couple of my buddies are planning a trip to Moab in April. We will be bringing our significant others who do not bike. I was wondering if you have been there and if you had any suggestions on:
  • Lodging
  • Bike Rental (we will probably want 27+ full suspension bikes)
  • things to do when we are not riding.
  • Things for the wives to do when we are not riding.
  • Any other helpful info you can provide.
Thanks!

@treeman @thegock

When I go to Moab, I'd rent from Sedona Bike and Bean. I have heard nothing but good stuff about them, and they are close to the trails.

Plus they have good coffee. I'm going to follow this thread to save for later.

Also, we are probably going to be there for about four days or so. Any strava segments or routes we can follow will be helpful as well.

Pretty sure there is not much to do period in Moab if not pedaling...its actually a tiny town/village.

I would say to hit some Fruita trails too, but with only 4 days probably not long enough. Of course make sure to see Arches, awesome park and most of the arches can be seen by driving with not much hiking (i.e. not a lot of time). Get a shuttle and do The Whole Enchilada (if it's open), definitely worth it. We did a few Amasa Back trails too. We shipped our bikes out there since we were going to out there for a week, and it was great to have a familiar ride.

Greetings!
A couple of my buddies are planning a trip to Moab in April. We will be bringing our significant others who do not bike. I was wondering if you have been there and if you had any suggestions on:
  • Lodging
  • Bike Rental (we will probably want 27+ full suspension bikes)
  • things to do when we are not riding.
  • Things for the wives to do when we are not riding.
  • Any other helpful info you can provide.
Thanks!

@treeman @thegock

Brian C has been there nine times. (!) He used to own a condo there.

Anyone use the Poison Spider LBS? They have a rental bike I like. One that @goodvibe owns.

Don't ride the sketchy shuttle bus. That's my only advice
20160402_083231.jpg

I rented a Stumpjumper 6Fattie 27.5+ bike from Moab Cyclery last time I was there. I was very happy with the bike and the shop. How many days do you have to ride? You definitely want to get a shuttle and do the Whole Enchilada. You might not be able to go all the way up depending on what kind of winter they have, but you should probably be able to start from Hazard County. Amasa Back/Captain Ahab would be number two on my list and Mag7 is also great. I would only hit Slickrock or the Brand Trails if you are looking for a short ride in order to appease the wives one day. I didn't go walk around Arches, but the other guys I was out there with did that and said it was awesome. That is definitely something the wives would enjoy, but I'm not sure what else is around for them.

https://www.strava.com/activities/409151168
https://www.strava.com/activities/409675016
https://www.strava.com/activities/410419949
https://www.strava.com/activities/411199056

Not sure how much time we will be there, probably 4 days or so.

Yeah you said you'd be out there four days previously in the thread, my question was more like how many of those days can you ride without pissing off the wives? The Whole Enchilada and Magnificent 7 are like 6-7 hour days including the shuttle up and the ride back to town. Amasa Back would probably be about 4-5 hours including the drive there and back. You can ride Slickrock in 1.5 hours and it's five minutes from town, but I think it's not worth it unless you are just trying to get a quick ride in one day. The Brand trails are also close to town and you could ride there for a few hours, but that's also not really worth it unless you need something quick and local. I was pleasantly surprised by them, but I wouldn't choose them over TWE, Mag7, or Amasa Back.

Yeah you said you'd be out there four days previously in the thread, my question was more like how many of those days can you ride without pissing off the wives? The Whole Enchilada and Magnificent 7 are like 6-7 hour days including the shuttle up and the ride back to town. Amasa Back would probably be about 4-5 hours including the drive there and back. You can ride Slickrock in 1.5 hours and it's five minutes from town, but I think it's not worth it unless you are just trying to get a quick ride in one day. The Brand trails are also close to town and you could ride there for a few hours, but that's also not really worth it unless you need something quick and local. I was pleasantly surprised by them, but I wouldn't choose them over TWE, Mag7, or Amasa Back.
This is a trip for guys and their bikes. The wives are there for moral support and to clean the bikes!

Was there in June and we stayed in this VRBO place, conveniently located across the street from the hospital. https://www.vrbo.com/926225
Was only there a long weekend, but did Mag 7 day one and Whole Enchilada day two. Post above was right: count on 6-7 hours total for each ride. We rode home to the townhouse from both rides. I would suggest hiring shuttle to the trailheads. Ride home is a few miles on road/path from the end of both trails.
99% chance Burro Pass will be closed in April. It was even closed in June! Still, Whole Enchilada without Burro is a must do.
Mag 7 is great also. Don't underestimate the toughness of the last few sections. Some tough climbs and very technical stuff. Not to mention Portal at the end. You will be tired and mistakes will be punished.

Gock, you are welcome to borrow my bike-bag (Dakine roller bag). United charged me going one way, but not going home. Probably break-even bringing vs renting but it was nice to have MY bike there.

Was there in June and we stayed in this VRBO place, conveniently located across the street from the hospital. https://www.vrbo.com/926225
Was only there a long weekend, but did Mag 7 day one and Whole Enchilada day two. Post above was right: count on 6-7 hours total for each ride. We rode home to the townhouse from both rides. I would suggest hiring shuttle to the trailheads. Ride home is a few miles on road/path from the end of both trails.
99% chance Burro Pass will be closed in April. It was even closed in June! Still, Whole Enchilada without Burro is a must do.
Mag 7 is great also. Don't underestimate the toughness of the last few sections. Some tough climbs and very technical stuff. Not to mention Portal at the end. You will be tired and mistakes will be punished.

Gock, you are welcome to borrow my bike-bag (Dakine roller bag). United charged me going one way, but not going home. Probably break-even bringing vs renting but it was nice to have MY bike there.

Thanks. Definitely going to rent bikes. In my experience, it is easier to rent and less likely for my whip to get damaged by the airlines. The wife is totally understanding and just wants to hang out in the evening.
-V

Anyone want to chime in on where to rent the whips?

Choices are:

1. Poison Spider
2. Chile Pepper
3. Bike Fiend
4. Rim Cyclery
5.BSTBNL

Feel free to post snarky comments, promo codes or breaux hookups you can share here.

Back
Top Bottom