Mills Reservation Trails

DrtyJersey

Hello Riders, I was looking on Singletrack app and came across Mills Reservation for a trail in Northern Jersey to ride.

I would like to know if anyone rode this and would recommend this trail to get some miles under my belt during the week. I need something close to home (Clifton) thanks in advance

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
It's illegal to ride there. But if you do ride...ride super early before the fairweather hikers come out. You can link it to Hill Top resv and many sections of ST that run along side the rail trail.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
You can link it up to Eagle Rock too.... Also illegal.
20170503_182628.png

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
hilltop is better for avoiding the evil glare from dog walkers . Even on weekdays after work Mills is pretty busy with hikers. I only ride mills when its super cold or super dark . High mountain would also be pretty close and much bigger area to ride .

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are some fun (albeit short) trails off the West Essex rail trail. Check east of the new park, west of Grove Ave. Where there are lots of squiggles in @Dusty the Whale 's map.
You won't find much conversation on Mills on the board (because of the illegal status) but people do ride there.
I have seen lots of riders parked at CG Rec Center or middle school.

RickVaughn

Tourne has a group ride at 6 on Tuesdays. It's good fun and isn't too far. I'll also echo High Mountain. Happy to show you around the place

SSmtbr

Pedal Montclair has group rides most Thursdays at 6 that bring a good amount of riders. You can give Lou a call at the shop and see what info he has. I haven't had a chance to meet up with them and they leave from the shop but not sure where they go from there? That may help you out with your mid-week riding. Most days I'll just hit up the Tourne, but I need to check out High Mountain as it's probably closer and less hassle with evening commute traffic.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
We are moving our family down back down to Woodbridge later this month for good reasons. These trails are one of the many things I will miss about this area. The Mills trail head is a short 3.5 mile ride from my apartment.

Kaleidopete

You would think someone working as a fireman for the city would pay more attention to the rules there.
"mountain biking is prohibited at Mills Reservation, according to Essex County officials".
"It's clearly posted, bikes should stay on the paved roads," said Sheriff Armando Fontoura,

xc62701

You would think someone working as a fireman for the city would pay more attention to the rules there.
"mountain biking is prohibited at Mills Reservation, according to Essex County officials".
"It's clearly posted, bikes should stay on the paved roads," said Sheriff Armando Fontoura,
It is not posted anywhere that's bikes aren't allowed there... I put plenty of miles on there without even a bad look from the dog walkers. If you are nice to them there is no issue.

ryderX

I didn't think that at all, I thought about his wife, kids, family and friends.
You're not actually questioning a dead guys motivation or intent are you ?

Kaleidopete

It is not posted anywhere that's bikes aren't allowed there... I put plenty of miles on there without even a bad look from the dog walkers. If you are nice to them there is no issue.
My fault! I believed the news story that said "It's clearly posted, bikes should stay on the paved roads,"
That's what Harriman Park signs say too. that's why I believed it. People still ride the trails there, which is fine by me, but don't blame the park or dangerous conditions if things go wrong.

Kaleidopete

I didn't think that at all, I thought about his wife, kids, family and friends.
You're not actually questioning a dead guys motivation or intent are you ?
No, not questioning his motivation or intent.
I was just thinking if it IS posted with bikes stay on paved roads, and you decide not to, then whatever happens, it's on you.
Even if it isn't posted, you know you're out doing something where things CAN go wrong and you can get injured.
I know we all do things without thinking about "wife, kids, family and friends". I choose to ride places where I'm not supposed to.
That's just me and what I choose to do, I know the risks and consequences.
I meant him being a fireman, just like if he was a cop or the Mayer, he would hold himself to a slightly higher standard and ride places where biking is allowed. Like I said, I ride places I shouldn't, not that there is ever anyone there that would ever see me.
But, I won't ride the Appellation trail for example and I know others do. I just happen to know an AT trail maintainer and there are way too many people using that trail that I don't want to be "that guy" riding my bike there and giving the biking people a bad name. There are plenty of other places to ride.
Shit, I've never been known to be Mister courteous and polite, but when I'm riding my bike, I'm also thinking of MTBNJ, JORBA and other bikers.
And I feel my actions towards hikers and other park users are somewhat tempered by that, so I try and do the right thing.
Then again, maybe no one knows "mountain biking is prohibited at Mills Reservation, according to Essex County officials"

Top Bottom