MidSize SUV shopping

do you need the bigger trunks? or third rows? if yes to both your list will be shorter.
I really like having the ability to slide in sheetrock in the pilot instead of strapping on top.
really dont need 3rd row or any towing capacity. just need it for the rack.

thanks for all the feedback, going tomorrow to look at the highlander and crosstour. my buddy is talking me out of the honda because of trunk space. leaning toward the highlander but really want a 4Runner but out of price range with low mileage.

I had an '16 Explorer. Super comfortable, but ended up dumping $2K into a car that was just out of warranty. Didn't sit well. Called Towne Toyota in Ledgewood this June and negotiated a deal on a 4 Runner that couldn't be matched by Newton or Morristown. This was a very easy and comfortable process. Very happy with their service and LOVE the truck so far.

we live in the area that forks to the left when 46 splits off, my wife doesn't believe me theirs a dealership right by cliffs, you sir just settled a fruitless fight I refuse to let go, 100% worth it!

CVT's are not bad - strange at first, no shift points as RPM's change, but pretty neat once you get used to it. They are NOT performance or for towing. And do research on your target brand's CVT history (i.e. repair/reliability history).

So you know where I'm coming from, I've driven my manual trans, 2003 VW Jetta, turbo-diesel since new (yeah, 15 years). So, I prefer a manual. However, my wife's Nissan Cube with CVT is actually really nice.

The thing with CVT is some companies have programmed them to simulate shifting. while your cube's cvt is good avoid CVT in the larger Nissan's I know of 6 failures with 4 cars. Their Trans is made of glass and CVT belts made of gummy bears.

Subaru has had CVT in cars for 20+ years(not US market) but I am still against them, as someone who has had 6 I'm into a good spanking and Subaru's reliability I'm guaranteed an issue when I recovered from the last one lol. I think my wheel bearing is going bad(30k miles) but the beast you know is better than the one you don't but I can pull a subaru motor in about an hour and do a clutch in 3.

thanks for all the feedback, going tomorrow to look at the highlander and crosstour. my buddy is talking me out of the honda because of trunk space. leaning toward the highlander but really want a 4Runner but out of price range with low mileage.
Doesn't anyone care about mileage? Minivans generally have better mpg, yeah they are perceived uncool but gas money adds up. A round trip to NNJ parks is about $20 in gas for the pilot

I came from a 2006 Outback Limited and I bought a 2015 Outback Limited as a CPO from a dealer in CT back in July. I would recommend going out of state for better pricing and better customer service. They didn't have what I was looking for, but I had an amazing experience with Rick Davis at MidHudson Subaru. He kept the dealership open for us 30 minutes after closing so we could make it there, we didn't like the trim level, but then he recommended a great kayaking guidebook. He has also owned multiple Gen2 and Gen3 Outbacks - this was the experience I expect to get at a Subaru dealership, someone else who also loves the outdoors and the product. We really wished we could have bought from him, but the used car market doesn't allow you that luxury.

I don't mind the CVT all that much. Pretty much all CVTs could be better, but could be A LOT worse. Drove it on a 1400mi roadtrip to Canada and was wonderful; took it up the Whiteface Toll Road on the way home. Get at least a 2015 - first year of the Gen5 design and it's nicer inside and out than the Gen4. The 2.5 can tow 2700lbs, the 3.6 gets you 3000. I put an aftermarket Class III, 2" receiver on it for bikes, but could probably also handle a little teardrop trailer (although a brake controller would be v v useful for that).

Doesn't anyone care about mileage? Minivans generally have better mpg, yeah they are perceived uncool but gas money adds up. A round trip to NNJ parks is about $20 in gas for the pilot

I used to, but don't give a hoot anymore. Will not buy based on MPG 'cause today's answer to MPG is lower-displacement, higher-stressed engines.

I used to, but don't give a hoot anymore. Will not buy based on MPG 'cause today's answer to MPG is lower-displacement, higher-stressed engines.
I guess my accounting is old, but I'd rather drive less or more efficiently and save the remainder for beer. For those who don't value $20, it's a four pack of other half to me

sez the full size suv driving minivan-sellout
lolz
We went thru four minivan leases, with a CRV before that. And wife now drives a Mini. Overall, cargo capacity remains constant.
But yeah, that Atlas is pretty awesome.

I've been in a '17 Outback for 2 years now and I like it. It's good for it's purpose, hauling the kid safely. It does have annoying simulated shift points in the CVT which I can't stand, but that's my only true complaint about the car. It's underpowered with the 2.5 but I knew that going in. @arangov3 curious to hear about your Subaru issues, I see mostly good things about their reliability, and the biggest issue being the oil consumption of past.

We also drove a few Highlanders and liked them, but for our price point the options were new Outback or CPO Highlander and we decided to go new. Once the Subaru is paid off I need to replace a 2006 Camry so a Highlander may be on the table again.

I'm not against CVTs (had a 2009 Altima with a great one) but the simulated shift points are a maddening mind fuck. Why?????

@rib, wheel bearings, head gaskets, rust, rust rust, wheel bearings, throw out bearings, transmission snouts, rear access panel leaks, cam leaks, freezing proportion valves, leaking hatchbacks filling spare tire well with water, electric gremlins.

If we go into modding I had a clutch see 5 motors lol

@rib, wheel bearings, head gaskets, rust, rust rust, wheel bearings, throw out bearings, transmission snouts, rear access panel leaks, cam leaks, freezing proportion valves, leaking hatchbacks filling spare tire well with water, electric gremlins.

If we go into modding I had a clutch see 5 motors lol

So maybe I should buy that extended warranty while I still can?

Back
Top Bottom